Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dannunz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Choose the reasons you don’t attend pinball shows”

• Too expensive 29 votes
      6%
    • Too far away/distance 123 votes
      27%
    • Body odor/ strange smells 43 votes
      9%
    • Middle age men wearing Velcro shoes 22 votes
      5%
    • Don’t like big crowds 59 votes
      13%
    • Too noisy/can’t hear games 31 votes
      7%
    • Too many germs-unwashed hands 23 votes
      5%
    • No tournaments 5 votes
      1%
    • Too many tournaments 14 votes
      3%
    • Quality of games in free play area 28 votes
      6%
    • Too few games available 24 votes
      5%
    • Lack of advertising 4 votes
      1%
    • Wife/husband won’t let you go 9 votes
      2%
    • Hotel prices/multiple night stay 29 votes
      6%
    • Can’t get off work 16 votes
      3%

(Multiple choice - 459 votes by 210 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

929C6E2B-085A-499C-80DF-765C6458240C (resized).jpeg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

In response to a poll about why you attend pinball shows- how about the opposite- Why don’t you attend pinball shows? What keeps you from attending?

Participate in the poll: choose all that apply

Edit:updated poll to include additional options

#2 4 years ago

Some shows I will not attend because they are not having a tournament or it's to far away.

#3 4 years ago

For me it’s all about distance, quality and quantity of free play games.

#4 4 years ago

Too new to all of this. Simply just don’t know when they are or what are the good ones to go too BUT, I’m learning quickly.
    Other challenges I face right now are the typical job, kid, wife in school while working full time kinda things.
    I did go to Texas this year and had a great time. That body Oder comment is a real thing, when walking around I thought to myself... “What the h$&&...”

#5 4 years ago

distance/travel is the main reason I don’t get to go to shows. Most are just too far away and requiring multiple nights hotel accommodations.

#6 4 years ago

For the record...I DO attend pinball shows.

I chose body odor/smells just because it was listed as an option. I couldn't resist.

#7 4 years ago

Overall co$t (travel, hotel, food, etc.)

I'd like to go to more than I do, but my pinball budget goes toward buying games & parts first and there's not much left over for shows.

#8 4 years ago

If I had enough time off of work, I'd try to hit all the shows I can. I'd love to visit TPF and Expo one of these days, but alas... they're always just out of reach. So I stick with the local shows. Haven't missed one since 2004.

#9 4 years ago

I’m tempted to go to the Seattle/Tacoma one later this month, but w the shitty exchange rate, and the commute, it would be too much for me. I’ve gone 2 years in a row to the 1 here in Vancouver, and I have a blast!

#10 4 years ago

This year I was in the studio recording an album during Allentown weekend... it should be out well before York. No, there are no songs about pinball on it

#11 4 years ago

for me the problem is I can't hear anything! They play heavy music and I can't hear any call outs or any of the game music. I said forget it, and just purchase and play it at home

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

for me the problem is I can't hear anything! They play heavy music and I can't hear any call outs or any of the game music. I said forget it, and just purchase and play it at home

Added to the poll

#13 4 years ago

I attend TPF, SFGE (local to me) and Allentown. Main reason not to travel to more shows is expense; flight or gas for car, hotels, food, etc.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from LordHelmet:

Too new to all of this. Simply just don’t know when they are or what are the good ones to go too BUT, I’m learning quickly.
    Other challenges I face right now are the typical job, kid, wife in school while working full time kinda things.
    I did go to Texas this year and had a great time. That body Oder comment is a real thing, when walking around I thought to myself... “What the h$&&...”

There are two good shows in north Florida, and SFGE in Atlanta this July. These are shows that you can drive to

#15 4 years ago

Biggest problem is that tourney winnings (If place in top 4-8) dont come near meeting ones expenses incurred for attending the event. I now go to shows to have fun, thus cut way back on travel.

#16 4 years ago

I love pinball shows but leave once the crowd arrives. Which seems to around noon.

#17 4 years ago

Since the age of 14 I've attended the Dutch Pinball Open every year! But other than that nothing because of the distance...

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Biggest problem is that tourney winnings (If place in top 4-8) dont come near meeting ones expenses incurred for attending the event. I now go to shows to have fun, thus cut way back on travel.

That's never been an issue for me, I'd never get any tournament winnings anyway, so I already know what my costs are from the start! (And you probably know this, the way you once let me play your free ball on TZ when you were creaming me, and I didn’t even know it!)

Distance and time are generally my issue. I'm usually too cheap to stay somewhere overnight, so, other than York, my favorite show, I just drive there and back the same day. I've even done that for ReplayFX.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

There are two good shows in north Florida, and SFGE in Atlanta this July. These area drives me shows for you

Thanks for the info!

#20 4 years ago

The whole place smells like stinkin pinball people! Oh wait... thats me...

#21 4 years ago

I enjoy going to the shows. I live 45 minutes from Allentown.
    The common theme I had difficulty with may just be individual to me; every pin or arcade game I wanted was already sold prior to the doors opening.

I have a specific list of games that I am after, but it was broad enough to eliminate any rarity issues. Each year when I came across something from my list, the Thursday set up guys had already sold them. Happened at least 8 times to me. I’m not interested in the free play personally, but take advantage of picking up parts etc.

That being said, it is worth the trip just to see the sights, socialize and pick up odds and ends.

#22 4 years ago

Next year volunteer in advance to bring a game. Show up Thursday with your freeplay game at noon. Spend the day playing pinball, eating at the farmers market, meeting new pinheads and most importantly shopping for a new pin. Buy a new pin and leave it on freeplay. Come back on Friday or Saturday and take both home.

#23 4 years ago

As a pilot, the shows schedule and mine are not always congruent.
    Your idea is both correct and reasonable.
    Personally I would feel guilty for creating a negative impact to others though, ironic in the least.

The issue I brought up is most likely not important to most. I didn’t even see it as an option on the poll above.

There are many positive aspects to these shows, all which outweigh any difficulty I may encounter. I’ll work on getting some more pins that could travel and contribute in the least to everyone else’s fun.

#24 4 years ago

Distance and all the time/expenses of travel are why I don't go to shows outside of the northeast. I would like to go to TPF at some point, though--that show looks awesome.

I normally go to Pinfest/Allentown and Pintastic. Both very different shows, and I enjoy each one for their differences. But, they're also both a long drive away.

I went to the JJP open house a couple of times when they were having it. They haven't had it in the last few years as far as I'm aware, which is unfortunate. It was really neat to be able to see.

For those not aware, I started my own small show in upstate NY (Saratoga Pinball & Arcade Show) since there was interest from collectors in the area, and it allows me to do some additional things that I can do for a local show that I can't or isn't practical for me to do for a long-distance show.

I've also heard from a few other people who were interested in starting up their own small local shows, so it's possible we may be seeing a few more shows pop up in various areas in the future.

#25 4 years ago

At this point I’ve played everything, and the new games aren’t interesting enough to me to bother going just for that...if I want to play something new, it’ll be on location.

#26 4 years ago

The Velcro shoes are the killer hahaha and the body odor

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Saw those comments in another thread about why they didn’t go to shows. Is body odor that prevalent among the pinball hobby? The topic of the lack of personal hygiene has come up a lot lately.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Still gottem!

929C6E2B-085A-499C-80DF-765C6458240C (resized).jpeg929C6E2B-085A-499C-80DF-765C6458240C (resized).jpeg
    #29 4 years ago

distance mainly

#30 4 years ago

TPF is the only show I will ever attend. It's Texas.

#31 4 years ago

too many fat girls in leggings.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

I enjoy going to the shows. I live 45 minutes from Allentown.
    The common theme I had difficulty with may just be individual to me; every pin or arcade game I wanted was already sold prior to the doors opening.
    I have a specific list of games that I am after, but it was broad enough to eliminate any rarity issues. Each year when I came across something from my list, the Thursday set up guys had already sold them. Happened at least 8 times to me. I’m not interested in the free play personally, but take advantage of picking up parts etc.
    That being said, it is worth the trip just to see the sights, socialize and pick up odds and ends.

Had the same problem only at other shows. Most of the deals are made before the doors ever open, which is understandable. The only way to get around that problem is to be a vendor or bring a game to sell or for the free play area......, works every time.

John

#33 4 years ago

I attend pinball shows.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

distance/travel is the main reason I don’t get to go to shows. Most are just too far away and requiring multiple nights hotel accommodations.

That’s seriously the draw for me. It’s a cheap, fun as hell weekend. Spend 500 less on games a year and pretty much be able to go to any show within a days drive of you. So fun.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Saw those comments in another thread about why they didn’t go to shows. Is body odor that prevalent among the pinball hobby? The topic of the lack of personal hygiene has come up a lot lately.

It’s like any other place you go with lots of people. Some don’t smell good.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

I've seen that in every hobby I've been in. Deals made ahead of time, out in the parking lot, even at motels the night before.

Tough to get around.

LTG : )

#37 4 years ago

And go to a players show. Some place like Cleveland, Pincinnati, pinball at the zoo, vFW, etc. where there’s just tons of games to play all weekend. Get a friend or two and play for two straight days or more.

#38 4 years ago

Don’t go to avoid the rampant sharting crop dusters who play four player games and leave on ball two. Just kidding love the shows each one has a different feel. Been to expo, free play Florida, southern fried, Jax expo, replay fx, Allentown, Texas. All bring a different feel and take on the hobby. Need to check out some west coast shows see how the other sides does it.
    See you at the Southern Fried next month.
    Al

#39 4 years ago

distance

#40 4 years ago

I wont go cause I have no clue what vid1900 looks like......

#41 4 years ago

By the time i priced airfare, hotel, tickets, rental car and food. Both TPF and Expo are shows i would like to attend. But that 1500-2000 bucks I could use towards a pin.
    With Twitch, and other streams I also dont feel like im missing reveals anymore.
    Going long distance is getting more and more likely never going to happen. Even my 2 local shows im missing due to work this year.

#42 4 years ago

Went to my first show this year. TPF has conflicted w/ my kids Spring Break and thus family vacation plans in the past. This year it didn't conflict and I was in a pinball way so I went. Great experience, went home w/ a machine. Highly recommend TPF. Already booked a room for next year.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

TPF is the only show I will ever attend. It's Texas.

Come on down to Houston in November. Plenty of pinheads who are drinkers come down here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-houston-arcade-amp-pinball-expo-nov-15-16-2019

Quoted from jarozi:

Went to my first show this year. TPF has conflicted w/ my kids Spring Break and thus family vacation plans in the past. This year it didn't conflict and I was in a pinball way so I went. Great experience, went home w/ a machine. Highly recommend TPF. Already booked a room for next year.

The Houston Expo is much closer to you. Come on out!

#44 4 years ago

I still go but for me it is the crowds. I personally sometimes feel anxiety and get claustrophobic.

I remember my wife and I waited a while to play JJPOTC last year and when we were up to play we just felt rushed by the couple behind us and I don't think we even got to see who won. (I'm guessing it was me , haha )

If you spot me at NW show I'll be sporting a SF2 lanyard with a poorly printed pinside badge. Hit me up and we can talk pinball over some of Washingtons finest.

#45 4 years ago

To me pinball is a loner experience, with your girl or a good friend. Machines at shows are too close, with someone hovering around your shoulder waiting to play. In the 80's when someone put a quarter down to be next I elbow striked them and slung there money off the glass, it hurt my concentration.
    By and large, I don't like pinball people. Old hippies, young hipsters, know-it-alls, cheapskates looking to scam someone, flippers trying to talk you out of something for nothing so they can brag, and yes, many of them stink. Guys with huge backpacks should be refused admission.
    And Promoters expect you to bring your machine(s) for free admission? They should pay.
    People starting games and not finishing, getting overly dramatic pounding the glass or power saving, giving you pointers while you try to play, getting pushy when you play too long. I've learned enough from Pinside to never go to a show.
    Rather spend my time and money at good Museums or Arcades on a Tuesday when its slow and I can hear the games and figure them out on my own.
    You asked.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

To me pinball is a loner experience, with your girl or a good friend. Machines at shows are too close, with someone hovering around your shoulder waiting to play. In the 80's when someone put a quarter down to be next I elbow striked them and slung there money off the glass, it hurt my concentration.
    By and large, I don't like pinball people. Old hippies, young hipsters, know-it-alls, cheapskates looking to scam someone, flippers trying to talk you out of something for nothing so they can brag, and yes, many of them stink. Guys with huge backpacks should be refused admission.
    And Promoters expect you to bring your machine(s) for free admission? They should pay.
    People starting games and not finishing, getting overly dramatic pounding the glass or power saving, giving you pointers while you try to play, getting pushy when you play too long. I've learned enough from Pinside to never go to a show.
    Rather spend my time and money at good Museums or Arcades on a Tuesday when its slow and I can hear the games and figure them out on my own.
    You asked.

I grew up during the golden era of mall arcades, the 80s. I was there a lot as a teenager and I was a video game geek.

There were always a lot of strange birds hanging out at the arcades, but the ones in their mid and late 20s were always the freakiest.

They'd be in their 50s now. And I'm pretty sure a lot of them are hanging out at pinball shows.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

You asked.

Why so negative? I go to many shows around the country and don't see much of anything you are mentioning in this post. People are for the most part very nice,clean, and respectful of my machines. I go to shows to hang out with all my pinball friends. I love bringing games to shows to watch people play them and enjoy them. This is the only way we are going to grow this hobby we all love. I am the founder of Pintastic New England and I always told myself when I starter a show I would always be the one who brought the most games. I am bringing 28 games this year for everyone to play and enjoy.

I do agree with you that free admission is not enough. Thats why we give free play bringers cool parties and give away over $3,000 in cash and prizes. We have a very detailed points system were you can ear points to redeem for cool swag and gift card as well as exclusive access.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Why so negative? I go to many shows around the country and don't see much of anything you are mentioning in this post. People are for the most part very nice,clean, and respectful of my machines. I go to shows to hang out with all my pinball friends. I love bringing games to shows to watch people play them and enjoy them. This is the only way we are going to grow this hobby we all love. I am the founder of Pintastic New England and I always told myself when I starter a show I would always be the one who brought the most games. I am bringing 28 games this year for everyone to play and enjoy.
    I do agree with you that free admission is not enough. Thats why we give free play bringers cool parties and give away over $3,000 in cash and prizes. We have a very detailed points system were you can ear points to redeem for cool swag and gift card as well as exclusive access.

You all totally seem to have the pinball show thing figured out. One of these years I hope to make the trip.

#49 4 years ago

Domestic pinball politics down here is nauseating enough to watch play out online let alone IRL.

I'd rather spend a few grand and 20 hours on a flight to a show in North America/Europe and be inspired instead.

#50 4 years ago

Great responses guys. Thanks for everyone’s input and opinions.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-dont-you-attend-pinball-shows?hl=smognote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.