(Topic ID: 214066)

Why don't more games use rollover buttons these days?

By JediPimp

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-28 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

General question: why don't more pinball games these days use rollover (aka star) buttons?

I know they were used heaps on older EM's but I've only seen them on two modern games, The Wizard of Oz and The Walking Dead.

Most of my non-pinball friends seem to think most inserts are rollover buttons haha so I'm thinking why not add more of them? It increases your shot options and can add a bit of variety, particularly if they can be turned off and on.

Are there any more modern games I'm missing that use rollover buttons?

And...why aren't they used more?

#3 6 years ago

Oh ok never played a Hobbit. JJP must be into them then

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Oh ok never played a Hobbit. JJP must be into them then

Walking Dead star rollovers are better than button ones on WoZ and Hobbit because they don't seem to affect the ball as much. Less of an edge. But yeah, I'd like to see the star ones used in more machines.

#5 6 years ago

I owned a WOZ for 3 years. In my opinion, the rollover buttons in WOZ are novel, but not well done in terms of fun. Their placement is such that, most often, you hit them inadvertently. That's fine, but they are an important part of the rule set (you need to hit them to spell out the characters, which is part of making progress in the game). I'm not a game designer but it seems to me that's not a recipe for fun (when the things you need in order to make progress are the things you usually hit unintentionally).

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Walking Dead star rollovers are better than button ones on WoZ and Hobbit because they don't seem to affect the ball as much. Less of an edge. But yeah, I'd like to see the star ones used in more machines.

Stern went to all the trouble of making the “new improved” version of Star rollovers - they used them on TWD and Whoa Nelly (and Pabst) and seem to have forgotten about them.

I think they’re cool.

rd

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Stern went to all the trouble of making the “new improved” version of Star rollovers - they used them on TWD and Whoa Nelly (and Pabst) and seem to have forgotten about them.
I think they’re cool.
rd

I hope we'll see more of them. I like them, too.

#8 6 years ago

Best rollovers ever

image-28 (resized).jpgimage-28 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Love star rollovers, but hate the buttons JJP used on the Hobbit. They changed the trajectory too much on slow speed balls. Rounded edges would have made way more sense.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Best rollovers ever

What game be this?

#11 6 years ago

It’s unsatisfying and not terribly fun on a fast, new game.

Hobbit and woz are perfect examples. Running over rollovers to light locks just doesn’t scratch that itch.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

What game be this?

Interflip's Dragon. "BAAAOOOOOOO!!!"

#13 6 years ago

I like them on World Cup Soccer. They can change the trajectory of the ball, but at least it's in the upper area of the playfield and not down by the flippers.

#14 6 years ago

The same reason you don't see many central drop target banks: they require unsafe shots. With today's super fast flippers it's hard to make it worthwhile. Why shoot drops or rollovers when you can hit a ramp? Can't have a game without ramps!

Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I owned a WOZ for 3 years. In my opinion, the rollover buttons in WOZ are novel, but not well done in terms of fun. Their placement is such that, most often, you hit them inadvertently. That's fine, but they are an important part of the rule set (you need to hit them to spell out the characters, which is part of making progress in the game). I'm not a game designer but it seems to me that's not a recipe for fun (when the things you need in order to make progress are the things you usually hit unintentionally).

The problem is, if you out them in front of a shot, then it's the same as shooting a shot. They don't really make much sense unless you have to aim for them.

It could be argued that the whole idea is to make it so you can't just go for multiball all day without being in danger, but if you ignore them for other parts of the game, you'll progress just by accident. Same with all the rainbow targets, you don't really aim for them unless there's maybe one or two left. Or any of the lower side 2/3 banks of stand ups on modern fan layouts.

One cool use of rollovers that could still work is having them hug the wall on orbit shots like on some ems (Little Chief, Delta Queen for instance). The idea is that, shooting the orbit itself is pretty easy, since it'd wide and you can just bounce off the wall and make it up, but if you want the extra points you need to shoot the wall right at the start and 'hug the wall' as the ball goes up. A good shot will hit all three rollovers for max points, but it's more risky, and you can also try to hit just one or two for a partial risk.

#15 6 years ago

just dont get wax stuck in them when you clean and wax your game

#16 6 years ago

Who thought it was a good idea to put rollover buttons in the inlanes on Cirqus Voltaire? I've had a ball get stuck on them multiple times.

#17 6 years ago

Yeah- I kinda agree with the idea that it’s just not a fun shot. Does not really feel like your aiming and usually they are more or less random in lower center of playfield and basically difficult to aim and more often hit on rebounds. Also- agree that they suck mostly because trajectory can change. I like them, but they need to be implemented well and no one seems to have that part down.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

General question: why don't more pinball games these days use rollover (aka star) buttons?

You can't clearcoat over them. This makes it difficult since it has to be a separate unit that installs after the playfield is clearcoated and thus must be leveled.

#19 6 years ago

I like the use of the star rollover on Bally Eight Ball. It is placed just right in the horseshoe/bankshot so that a strong shot triggers it, but a shot that just barely makes it around doesn’t.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

You can't clearcoat over them. This makes it difficult since it has to be a separate unit that installs after the playfield is clearcoated and thus must be leveled.

The newer stern ones that are lit like TWD are just a pod you screw into the PF, so when the PF is made, there's just a round hole where it goes.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The same reason you don't see many central drop target banks: they require unsafe shots. With today's super fast flippers it's hard to make it worthwhile. Why shoot drops or rollovers when you can hit a ramp? Can't have a game without ramps!

TWD uses them for the skill shot, which is a great idea, and it works well.

7 months later
#22 5 years ago

Update: Beatles has a Star rollover for its Skill Shot! They Live!

#23 5 years ago

Laser war , Data east & Gary Stern's 1st. game has 6 star roll over's ...... Fathom also mentionable for great star rollover's

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

And...why aren't they used more?

The #1 answer: because they have been replaced by modern tech such as eddy sensors and magnetic reed switches which don't have moving parts and don't require special drilling to the playfield - making assembly quicker and easier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 16.95
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-dont-more-games-use-rollover-buttons-these-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.