(Topic ID: 142802)

Why don't modern Stern games have subways?

By Deez

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by karl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MartinLogan_vol_control.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    2565f2.jpg
    8286890969_8acc659ac0_z.jpg
    stng_subway.jpg
    SubwayGary.jpg
    Jared-Fogle-lead.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I know we're the hardest of the hardcore, and want things that are surprising and challenging, but making the ball disappear and then randomly shoot of out of somewhere else is pretty bad game design.

Funny...we used to think of that kind of 'magic' as cool and interesting.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jojo1111:

But this isn't for a standard subway is it? Wasn't this patent for the teleporting ball gimmick TNG had which Williams subsequently used in other games after, where a preloaded ball is sitting underneath, in the vuk at the subway exit, and when a ball enters the system, the ball on the VUK is quickly fired to appear instantaneous? Which is why in TNG when you finish a game, sometimes balls are shot into the subway network during the game over sequence to set it up for the next player?

You're correct.. this is for the pre-staged ball - not subways. And its also lapsed

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

A subway is usually a spot that can jam up with all the balls, if the VUK stops working, disabling a game completely.

A VUK dying kills the game just the same... if its on or under the playfield. Maybe you can free the ball from the saucer on top of the playfield.. but the game is going to keep dying.

This fear is tied to VUKs period - not subways.

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Have to retool the assembly line to accommodate different cab widths.

Meh... cabinets are done all on their own areas anyway.. free standing. Playfields are on rotissaries... and the tables and presses already accomodate widebodies. It's a design and COGs choice. We already know most of the designers aren't high on widebodies anyway.. so I think its more about 'nobody feels the need to do one'

#139 8 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

JJP has only done widebodys.Will Lawlors,game #3 ,be a wide body?

If I had to speculate... I'd bet you Jack has left that decision to Lawlor without any input. Pat hasn't done a WB since Road Show.. including the designs they did and sold to Stern.. so I'd speculate the answer will be 'no'.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Don't forget they also have a higher materials cost as more space usually means more stuff is needed to fill the space.

Yes, why I said "It's a design and COGs choice" - while actually here I should have said BOM instead of COGs to be more accurate as we are talking additional pieces and not just increases per piece.

#140 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If Brian Eddy says he'll only come back to pinball if he can design his next game without a shooter rod, Gary is not going to show him the door.
    -
    Let the designers do what they have been doing for 50 years - making great pinball.
    Quit acting like Gary is looking down from his tower with a line item veto.

Yet we know Gary has in the past mandated (above any designer's input) that the games should have 3 pops in the standard config and a plunger. That's straight from the horse's mouth from the designers... but that was also before he brought back Gomez to lead engineering/design. Who knows if he's stepped back far enough to not play the veto card anymore...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-dont-modern-stern-games-have-subways?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.