5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    download (5).jpg
    download (5) (resized).jpg
    EBD8BD13-3AD0-450E-8EF0-8C571AA1F855 (resized).jpeg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I’m trying to understand how countless people don’t list their home town.

Is it something like they’re afraid of Slenderman and think if they list their home town they will be a target? I mean it’s not like you are posting your home address and garage code it’s just your freaking hometown.

I see all these posts like:

“I’m selling xyz pin let me know yo”.

Don’t you think a location would be useful information?

So what does not posting your location do for you? If anyone wants to buy your pin or look at your pin you’re going to sooner or later have to disclose your super secret location.

#2 5 years ago

Sometimes your location can be hidden from people in the settings and you don't know it. Seen that one plenty of times.
    Probably not a huge chunk of the issue but a little.

#3 5 years ago

I understand both sides. For people who live in a large city, one has some anonymity. But if one lives in a town of 500, and there’s only one bob...guess everyone now knows bob has 150 machines...

#4 5 years ago

A lot of people to list their location, but you may have to be connected (either following them or them following you, or both).

They might just prefer their privacy, or they might not want to be bothered for unsolicited requests to stop by or to sell games.

#5 5 years ago

Cause they are frady cats! Lol.

I’m in 44720 North Canton, Ohio. Come play some pinball!!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

Oh no you didn’t.

EBD8BD13-3AD0-450E-8EF0-8C571AA1F855 (resized).jpegEBD8BD13-3AD0-450E-8EF0-8C571AA1F855 (resized).jpeg

#7 5 years ago

and some people just don't trust the web. these folks are usually 60 yo or older, live in small towns, have almost no money, are dependent on the government financially, think the zombie apocalypse is a real concern, and smoke a lot of pot.
    In my family we call her Aunt Carol.

Thanks
    Blake

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Some people have privacy issues. Some people are paranoid. Some people do not want to be found. If NicoVolta can knock on my front door, then I guess I have entered just enough info on my location.

If any of you want to drop by, please PM me first, as I will have to get the maid to come by.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

Could you pm me your social security number,it would make finding you a little easier.

#10 5 years ago

First you ask everyone how many games they have and now locations. This is everything that was covered like a year or so ago. Many people seem to worry about home invasions that lead to all sorts of home defense stuff. All I can imagine is that you've been waiting for 14yrs to finally make a coast to coast pin grab. As stated before if someone comes to take my pins then good luck for that's a lot of work.

#11 5 years ago

Nobody knows where I live as I've never posted my hometown.....not even once.

John

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Nobody knows where I live as I've never posted my hometown.....not even once.

John

Uh uh!! That damn blue state that starts M... Us Ohioans don’t even like to say the M word!! Lol.

Quoted from ralphs007:

Could you pm me your social security number,it would make finding you a little easier.

789-12-3456

Bwahahahahaaaaaaa!!!

#13 5 years ago

I just messaged someone local today and discovered there are those who don't appreciate asking to come over to play a game of theirs. All my prior experiences were positive when saying hi and making requests like that. They had their location listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change that now, haha

#14 5 years ago

The more you share, the more you risk I suppose... information is today's new gold rush. I understand people need and want privacy - and they deserve it. However, I agree with Buzz since stealing a pinball machine sounds like a giant PITA (250-300 lbs) and then they have to fence it somewhere? A lot of work for something that isn't worth millions! Also, my neighbors watch everything and report every random amazon driver they see... hmmm that looks suspicious. ha!

#15 5 years ago

I list my work city and only share the address of my games after getting to know someone.

#16 5 years ago

There are all kind of extremes.
    There are people that like to put their whole life story out there (Facebook, Instachat, etc.) and let everyone know when they've sneezed, how long they spent in the bathroom, and when they are leaving their house open and unattended. There are others that hide under their tin foil hats and only post under an alias/from an internet cafe.

I try to use common sense about what pictures I post on the web so as not to give anyone an open invitation to my stuff. Happy to meet new people and glad to share my games with others. Doubt anyone wants to come out where I live though -- I'll probably put them to work doing something on the farm. Uninvited guests could be met by friends Smith and Wesson. A cop rents the house within view of the shop, that helps deter would be shenanigans.

For the record my favorite user location is bangerjay 's Yomamasville.

#17 5 years ago

I also wonder why some people don’t list games in their collection.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

1. They don;t want "stalkers" looking at it.
    2. They don't want people bugging them if they want to sell their games, which apparently happens quite a bit.

#19 5 years ago

When did you start signing with no phone number ?

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

yup me too!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They might just prefer their privacy,

Bingo,thats one of the main reasons

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

When did you start signing with no phone number ?

About a year ago I'm guessing? People only seem to want to email or text nowadays and since I don't do text or have a cell phone then that left emails. My number is out there on thousands of postings from here to RGP that people usually just do a search for it if they know I used to post it. Plus with Pinside there was no way (to my knowledge) to automatically have it posted at the end of my comment and I got tired of having to hand type the whole thing all the time and certainly didn't want to cut and paste it either....so I gave it up.....for now anyways. I'll still sign my first name at least as I think everyone should have to. I hate getting and ready post and emails where people wont even tell you there first name.

John

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

But if one lives in a town of 500, and there’s only one bob...guess everyone now knows bob has 150 machines...

I live in a pretty small town...now tell me my address.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

I can be there in 40. 45 if I stop for beer.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I live in a pretty small town...now tell me my address.

Just a guess at 5761 Old Orchard Rd...

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Some of us don't have games in our collection...yet.

We've all got different ways that we interact in a forum. Some people are only here to read and don't even post. Some people are just here to discuss news or talk about mods. Other people are here to buy and sell games. If you aren't here specifically to buy/sell, you don't really need to share your location. I honestly don't know if mine shows up or not, but I live in Allentown PA. Apparently there is some sort of "Pinball Festival" that gets held here every year

#27 5 years ago

My .02

If you are concerned about putting too much personal info on the web, which I certainly appreciate, at least -- pick a nearby location...

That helps us out when you post a "for sale" or a "wanted" -- it gives the rest of us a chance to know if we like your general location or not before we make plans to make a deal.

-mof

#28 5 years ago

I'm a nomad

#29 5 years ago

Everyone who posted has shown their location. Where are all the paranoid people? C’mon and post your reasons.

#31 5 years ago

Perhaps they move alot .

#32 5 years ago

I've had my identity stolen and used... you'll pardon me if I elect not to share more info than I need to.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I understand both sides. For people who live in a large city, one has some anonymity. But if one lives in a town of 500, and there’s only one bob...guess everyone now knows bob has 150 machines...

I guess for the "ultra paranoid" that would be an issue. If someone wants to break into my house, work there way through two dogs, disassemble a machine because the heads have to come off to get them up the basement stairs, and all withing a reasonably quick timeframe to evade being noticed by neighbors and such...good luck to you. I'll buy you a beer if you pull it off. My location is posted to give you a head start.

#34 5 years ago

Lot of background lurkers on forums even if it seems like a community of like minded on the surface.

Discretion is the better part of valour.

#35 5 years ago

I don't list my actual town, just the closest major one. (It's very close). Never listed games because honestly, they change frequently and I couldn't be bothered. I only have up to a few at any given time and if you ask me I will tell you.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

25 - 30 games continually rotating in and out being bought and sold. No thanks.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

1. They don;t want "stalkers" looking at it.
    2. They don't want people bugging them if they want to sell their games, which apparently happens quite a bit.

That’s got to be annoying, what a shame.

Quoted from Mr68:

25 - 30 games continually rotating in and out being bought and sold. No thanks.

Makes sense. Now I’m offically wondering why less and less. Thanks fellas

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

and there’s only one bob

I would have went with Dave! lol

#39 5 years ago

I'm always welcoming of anyone that wants to come over and shoot some pinball or try out a game they've never played. I'm a popular stop for people at work when they need to unwind from the stress of life.
    Not like anyone can easily steal a pin from my place. Good luck with the outside stairs!!!

#40 5 years ago

I offered to send a copy of a schematic to a Pinsider a while back.
    They replied that I could send it to another Pinsider who was nearby to them.
    The second person provided a mailing address to send the schematic to.
    I realized that the first person was probably a woman who did not want some random wierdo off the internet to have her home address.
    I get that and I'm fine with it.
    That said, anyone who want to play some games, just ask.

#41 5 years ago

Most likely they are homeless, just pushing their machine around on a pin-dolly up and down the streets occasionally stopping at a home where there is an exposed outlet to the public's view. They hook up and get a game or two in before they move again
    I'm sure they would have taken the generator too but then it would just become a bit too much when going uphills.

With that being said, anyone in Staten Island or nearby is more then welcome to come by and shoot some rounds with us.

#42 5 years ago

You wanna come over and eyeball my stuff?
    Not today Satan, not today.
    download (5).jpgdownload (5).jpg

#43 5 years ago

Folks...it's not about somebody breaking into your house to steal your precious pinball machines.

Rather, it's about giving another piece of data to somebody that has elected to target you for identity theft. The ability to piece together as much data as possible makes it that much easier to spoof your identity.

I've been through this when some jackhole filed a tax return on my behalf. This despite the fact that we only file by paper. Every bit of data that can be reverse engineered to allow them to be you long enough to do damage is data that should be protected.

The gradual erosion of privacy, packaged as apps and convenience, doesn't bother people until they experience the damage first hand. Unfortunately, an entire generation is being raised to accept this as the norm. When in fact, up until 10 years ago...it wasn't.

#44 5 years ago

In 2013 I had a newbie Pinsider contact me because he saw my location being local to him. He needed advice on buying his first machine and I was glad to help. He and I became friends and he now owns Comet Pinball where many of you guys buy your LED lights.
    https://www.cometpinball.com/

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Folks...it's not about somebody breaking into your house to steal your precious pinball machines.
    Rather, it's about giving another piece of data to somebody that has elected to target you for identity theft. The ability to piece together as much data as possible makes it that much easier to spoof your identity.
    I've been through this when some jackhole filed a tax return on my behalf. This despite the fact that we only file by paper. Every bit of data that can be reverse engineered to allow them to be you long enough to do damage is data that should be protected.
    The gradual erosion of privacy, packaged as apps and convenience, doesn't bother people until they experience the damage first hand. Unfortunately, an entire generation is being raised to accept this as the norm. When in fact, up until 10 years ago...it wasn't.

^^^THAT. exactly that. theres creeps all over the web. and creeps tend to be patient, so building a “profile” on someone to piece together data is exactly what they do. and collecting location information is a major part of that.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

We had the exact same thing happen to us. It sucked, and I'm pretty tight with info on social media. Shit happens, all I know to do is put some safeguards in place (ID Check, etc.) that hopefully prevent that from future occurrences.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

I'm always welcoming of anyone that wants to come over and shoot some pinball or try out a game they've never played. I'm a popular stop for people at work when they need to unwind from the stress of life.
    Not like anyone can easily steal a pin from my place. Good luck with the outside stairs!!!

I can vouch for these stairs. Don't steal from this guy

#48 5 years ago

I'm not afraid of anyone stealing my pinball machine,I'm afraid they might try to steal my puppy,Hercules !

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#49 5 years ago

Or how about people who purposely put the wrong location in. Seriously, is there a pinsider who lives in Sanaa, Yemen?

#50 5 years ago

I’ve been on pinside for quite some time and recently just got my first PM from someone wanting to buy one of the machines listed in my collection. He said he was looking to purchase a MET road case.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-don%e2%80%99t-guys-list-their-location?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.