• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-02-19 22.34.24 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JayLar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I´ve got the Stern Star Trek Pro and am learning to play it. I watched Bowen Kerins tutorial on Youtube and saw that he got the ball to loop around from right to left - check this video at 9:10 for what I mean:

The thing is that when I play the ball always bounce down to the pop bumpers, it never goes around to the left flipper like on the video. Why is that? Is there something wrong with my pin? Or is it only at some situations it does that?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Only in certain modes. There's a post that can raise up to block the ball from going all the way around. As a simple test, try to do a super skill shot by holding the left flipper while plunging the ball, that should send the ball all the way around instead of stopping it for the bumpers.

That doesn´t seem to work. Should it open both with autoplunger and full plunge or is it only full plunge?

EDIT: Meant full plunge

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Yeah, as long as you hold the left flipper the post should be down allowing the ball to pass. Depending on the game, sometimes the auto launcher doesn't make it all the way around, but if you full plunge it should go around and not hit the post

It doesn't work, with autoplunger or plunger. My plunger is also very weak so the ball never goes that far, anyone know why that is? See photo - the plunger is pushed all the way in. I´ve checked the autoplunger and it seem to be all the way back. There is some black padding on the autoplunger, but that just raises the ball a tiny bit.

2017-02-19 22.34.24 (resized).jpg2017-02-19 22.34.24 (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

OK, so I removed the padding (which I had put on there to minimize noise and wear on the balls). The plunger rod now makes the ball go all the way up. However, holding the left flipper doesn´t make the ball continue past the post, the ball just bounces back down to the pop bumpers. I also have never got the ball go around on top during play. So - is there a way to verify if there is actually something wrong with the post and is there a way to fix it? I tried holding the left flipper at start of a game and pressing with my finger on the post and it is dead stuck. I really feel this is a bit limiting on my game experience as I really like the flow when the ball goes around as on the video in my original post.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Go into diagnostics, coil test, #51 Orbit Control Gate (Left), activate, remember to hold coin door switch in. At the back of the playfield, you should see and hear the flap come up, clearing the orbit path.

Thanks a million. There we have, it doesn´t move (the right one #52 works, so I am doing it right). So what do I have to do to fix this?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Also, test the flap manually with your finger too, make sure it flips up freely and nothing is blocking its movement.

No, nothing is blocking it. I´ve checked the connectors under the playfield, nothing wrong there. Guess the coil needs to be replaced?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

It might also be the control circuitry on the board. You can check with DMM that triggering it actually produces voltage at that molex connector. If it does, the board is alright. Then it's likely the electromagnet at the flap. Or you can test the electromagnet/flap directly, and if it works, then it points to a board or continuity problem.

Thanks for all help. I connected it to the right one and that worked so it´s a bad coil for sure. Found a place to buy it so I will exchange it. Again thanks, I´ll let you know how things turned out when done.

1 week later
#23 7 years ago

OK, so now I´m done and the problem is solved! It was the mini coil that was defective. I´m not sure if it was from factory since I´m not the first owner, but the game is fairly new with not that many games played so it´s a bit strange that the coil failed so soon. As stated above there was nothing blocking the post and the coil didn´t react in the coil test (but it worked when connecting the right orbit coil to the same connector).

So I ordered a new mini coil, [511-7510-00] from www.marcospec.com and installed it. It was indeed a bit tricky to install into the assembly, or rather it was hard to remove the old one from the assembly since the pin that holds the stop gate needed to be removed and when bending the end of the pin it broke. Thankfully the remaining part was long enough to bend back when the new coil was installed.

So now everything works flawlessly and I love the way the game plays now - much more flow and fluid play. I feel I did find it annoying before when the ball always ended up in the pop bumpers slowing down the game. Now I can enjoy fast orbit balls and it´s much more fun!

Thanks to everyone who gave their ideas on this issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JayLar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-don%c2%b4t-my-stern-star-trek-do-this?tu=JayLar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.