(Topic ID: 36061)

Why doesn't the pinball community look like America?

By silverball67

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mickthepin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed.jpg
    goGirl_prodShot3_hp.png
    i_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg
    559229_3294213327603_1838136708_n.jpg
    2982735249_e8da3a16e5_o.jpg
    images.jpg
    hard2find3.jpg
    sarah_palin_5.jpg
    girl-2-icon.png
    ibtl2.jpg
    Obvious_troll_is_obvious.jpg
    hep.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #2 11 years ago

Hmm, haven't thought of it before but I too have only met a few non-caucasion pinball owners.

#3 11 years ago

Goerge Gomez is a Mexican... (ha ha ha ) LOL

Your not alone

#4 11 years ago

Why is 80 percent of the nba African American? Because there god darn good at it.. Leave us honky white nerd pinheads alone.. Haha welcome to pinside

#5 11 years ago

George Gomez could be Swedish for all i know ... ROFLMAO !

#6 11 years ago

Could be Irish like Ray Moloney, Bill O'Donnell and Bob Mullane of Bally.

#7 11 years ago

FWIW, Hispanics are Caucasian, so you're 3/4 Caucasian.

#8 11 years ago

Pinball doesn't discriminate. It treats us all like "the enemy" most games.

#10 11 years ago

We are all made from carbon...

Eh,
    I run into all kinds of lifeforms during shows/expos and what I've basically deduced over the years of attending said events is that nobody knows what the hell deodorant is and what it actually does!

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

» YouTube video

Hey, it's only pinball.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

» YouTube video

I see him all over the place, nice guy, and loves pins

#13 11 years ago

During the heyday of the 80s and 90s, do you think arcades were disproportionally present in white areas? This might help explain today's imbalance. No idea, just guessing.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from ScottInSanDiego:

FWIW, Hispanics are Caucasian, so you're 3/4 Caucasian.

Hispanic is seen on the U.S. census as an ethnicity (not a race). That's why you can be White with an Hispanic background or Black with an Hispanic background. I did read recently that the Hispanic designation will be a race, not an ethnic background on the 2020 census.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from silverball67:

Hispanic is seen on the U.S. census as an ethnicity (not a race). That's why you can be White with an Hispanic background or Black with an Hispanic background. I did read recently that the Hispanic designation will be a race, not an ethnic background on the 2020 census.

This is getting too complicated... I just say "hey you" and leave the racism to the government.

#16 11 years ago

I am indefinable. My paternal grandmother was 50% Comanche and 50% Libyan (really interesting, but long story, involing the Merchant Marines, murder, identity theft, and fraud). My paternal grandfather was Austrian and Comanche. My Maternal Grandfather was Cherokee and Scot. Maternal Grandmother was Irish as it gets.

All I know is that we have black hair, until we die.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Hopefully long lives are included in there too.

LTG : )

#18 11 years ago

Did you not realize we Caucasians need something to do when it's raining and we can't play golf? Clearly dancing isn't an option.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bradley:

Clearly dancing isn't an option.

Hey,
    Speak for yourself pal!
    I can throw down a mean Charleston!
    hep.jpghep.jpg

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bradley:

Clearly dancing isn't an option.

Beer cures this. We don't really dance any better, but we think we do.

#21 11 years ago

Paternal Grandfather 100% "off the boat" Italian. Grandmother 50% Irish / 50% Cherokee

Maternal Grandfather 100% French. Grandmother 50% Irish / 50% Scotish

I'm an Italian LOOKING . . . Effing American mongrel!!!!

Me like-em pinball with pizza and firewater, as I dance a jig wearing my kilt singing Frere Jacques. .. .

#22 11 years ago

All 4 grandparents Irish. My father was born in Ireland, my mother in Chicago of Irish parents. I guess I'm Irish.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

as I dance a jig wearing my kilt

But do you "go commando" ?

LTG : )

#24 11 years ago

Don't want to know!

#25 11 years ago

"But do you "go commando" ?"

NO! Too much Italian sausage!!!

#26 11 years ago

I've wondered the same thing before silverball.

It's just the way things are in life.
    Nothing necessarily wrong with it.. it is what it is.

#27 11 years ago

Why is pinball almost exclusively white and male? Is is that that the themes are mostly attractive to this demographic? Is it that the hobby is really expensive? I'm half Hispanic, 1/4 Filipino, 1/4 Caucasian. Any of my pinball dealings, whether just playing at one of the few places that has pinball, or going to various expos, there are no other people of color, and I mean none. Okay, maybe there's a straggler here or there, but not many. I don't really care necessarily as in me thinking that the pinball community is racist or anything (notice that I didn't say going to an expo is like going to a Klan rally (haha), maybe just a CEO convention (haha again) so don't jump on the defensive, I just wonder what it is about pinball that makes one group so dominant.

If this is a concern to you, then I would consider inviting people you know to play pinball. There is no real reason for anyone in this great land to not be apart of any hobby.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

I see him all over the place, nice guy, and loves pins

Koi is a nice guy. He's also some sort of research scientist. Probably smarter than everyone in this thread. Dude could cure cancer some day. Not a clue what nationality he is and don't care. He's a player and he's quirky. That's good enough for me.

Why is pinball almost exclusively white and male?

Because pinball machines in the home are a luxury item and white men have most of the money in this country. It's not complicated. Try playing on location if you want some variety.

#29 11 years ago

I think we need to fix this problem. We'll start a pinball tax. 40% on every machine sold. And then we donate new MM machines to minorities.

Oh wait. There is already somebody doing something like this. (Ducking for cover.)

#30 11 years ago

....uggg. America is over 70% white, and there are many factors that contribute to an affiliation with any hobby. I do not care what race I play pinball with, or who owns them. Every one is welcome to buy sell trade and play pinball.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

I think we need to fix this problem. We'll start a pinball tax. 40% on every machine sold. And then we donate new MM machines to minorities.
    Oh wait. There is already somebody doing something like this. (Ducking for cover.)

Now that is just offensive. The donations would go to the 50% of the population who do not pay income tax. Still plenty of white people left in that group. With unemployment extended yet again, that leaves plenty of time for all races to play pinball while not having to go looking for work.

#32 11 years ago

we need new designers and artists to create pinball in new ways, themes and fashion. folks need to get out the pencil and drill and go to it...but definitely horses and girls go well on a pinball back glass! Jpop

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I am indefinable. My paternal grandmother was 50% Comanche and 50% Libyan (really interesting, but long story, involing the Merchant Marines, murder, identity theft, and fraud). My paternal grandfather was Austrian and Comanche. My Maternal Grandfather was Cherokee and Scot. Maternal Grandmother was Irish as it gets.

interesting mixture there :-)We all belong to the Human race

#34 11 years ago

I smell a poll coming on.........

#35 11 years ago

We're all "Pinball Elitists" here as I was called last year
    on the 904 Pinball Group on facebook by a troll.
    Funny, when you can afford something like a pinball machine,
    some people call you an elitist, when you're poor due to being lazy
    and not saving like them, you're a peer, hmm...
    I like being called a Pinball Elitist then.
    It's a better status than lazy and lacking the work ethic to get what I want in life.

Back to this stupid topic, I don't care what race or sex anyone is that is into pinball,
    pinball has never been cool to most people in general. No rap video has ever said
    YO yo GO get Multi-Ball and frankly pinball is the least cool thing in the universe
    if you go my madison avenue or pop culture.

#36 11 years ago

I blame Shaq Attack!

#37 11 years ago

Why does it matter?

#38 11 years ago

my ancestors are-German,Irish,English,Scotch and French in that order,But I am a American.

#39 11 years ago

There are 1.3 billion Chinese pop. in China versus 320 million pop. of our melting pot in America.

Why is pinball almost exclusively white and male?

So why is there more chinese on the planet? Its just the way things are.
    Oh well.

#40 11 years ago

It doesn't necessarily matter, but it is an interesting topic. In science, whenever there is a statistical anomoly, or something is skewed, it can be valuable to wonder why.

The idea that arcades were originally in primarily caucasian neighborhoods sounds possible as a contributor (if they were, I don't know). I would be curious to compare the demographics of kinetic pinball players with the video pinball group. One would assume the video pinball demo is similar to the XBox demo. And probably more diverse.

And Gambit, that sounds like a long story that would make for a good read!

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

» YouTube video

Koi rules. My new favorite video.

#42 11 years ago

This is a ridiculous topic, started by a person with 193 karma points. If it were within the "tilt" rules, I'd tilt this thing.

Motion to close this thread as nothing good can come from this.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

This is a ridiculous topic, started by a person with 193 karma points.

I agree. It seems to be fishing for trouble - similar to the "Pinball and Faith" thread earlier this week. (Which was LOCKED quickly by the moderators.)

As far as I know, anyone who is willing and able to purchase (or play) a pinball machine is permitted to do so regardless of marital status, race, creed, color, religion, Vietnam-era veteran status, sexual orientation, political view, pet ownership status, type of car they own or other ancillary unrelated factor.

#44 11 years ago

I'm mostly German. I'm waiting for an "Operation Barbarossa" Pin. Moscow Multi-Ball!

#45 11 years ago

So that is who is currently grand champion on my Whirlwind! I was wondering who it was that did it.

#46 11 years ago

don't really care necessarily as in me thinking that the pinball community is racist or anything (notice that I didn't say going to an expo is like going to a Klan rally (haha), maybe just a CEO convention (haha again)

Then why the hell post???

This guy is either trying to get noticed or trying to stir up a controversy like he tried to do with his attack post on Doughslingers before the mods closed it.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-doughslingers-brag-so-much-about-pinball-scores-and-such-shut-up

I guess this gives me an opportunity to try the ignore button and see how it works

#47 11 years ago

hmmm....

Obvious_troll_is_obvious.jpgObvious_troll_is_obvious.jpg

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bradley:

Now that is just offensive. The donations would go to the 50% of the population who do not pay income tax. Still plenty of white people left in that group. With unemployment extended yet again, that leaves plenty of time for all races to play pinball while not having to go looking for work.

Save your backhanded right winger, teabagger political comments for for another forum. I think it's attitudes like this that provide the most accurate answer to the OP's question.

#49 11 years ago

Why is pinball almost exclusively white and male? Is is that that the themes are mostly attractive to this demographic? Is it that the hobby is really expensive?

In all my dealings the only non-caucasian I ever came across was Daryl from Klov. I bought my Zeke's Peak from him and he had one of the most amazing collections of hard to find vintage arcade games I had ever seen. He had a couple pins too if I remember correctly. Unfortunately I didn't think to insult him by asking this question. Maybe next time.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

Save your backhanded right winger, teabagger political comments for for another forum. I think it's attitudes like this that provide the most accurate answer to the OP's question.

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-doesnt-the-pinball-community-look-like-america and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.