(Topic ID: 173814)

Why doesn't Stern publish full, clear rule set info?

By UNCgump

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15f72f1d42aece88a4c4be34348f41d10d30e562[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UNCgump.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Why doesn't Stern publish full, clear rule set info?

It would be soooo useful, since games have only grown more complicated and the opacity of the rules makes many games less accessible to anyone other than an owner or obsessive player.

#5 7 years ago

I get the fun of figuring things out. But that's probably appealing to a minority of total players. I think a little clarity might be good to attract less devoted players. Those who like to explore don't have to read the rules.

And how are they "too busy." It's a limited set of info that must already be clearly outlined somewhere for the sake of making the game.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Maybe a better question would be "why don't Stern publish a general outline of the basic rules and game progression?". At least then new players would have a vague idea of how to get into the game rather than trying to decipher something like this:

Agreed! And while "instant info," live DMD animation, and the playfield do give a lot of info, it's missing a certain wholeness which could tie together a player's understanding and appreciation of a game. As far as updates with code, all that text could be embedded as reviewable on a DMD scroll.

1 week later
    #48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

...except that I don't. If I've played two or three games and still have no idea what I'm doing, then I won't keep putting more and more money in. I'll go and play a self-explanatory Williams, Gottlieb or JJP.

The key words were "readily available". There's a massive difference between a player failing to learn the rules and the rules not being available for a player to learn. I can't think of a single sport where players have no choice but to learn how the scoring system works by trial and error.

Stern's current formula did not exist even 15 years ago. With few exceptions, pinball machines used to have instructions written on the playfield, inserts that clearly depicted game progression and instruction cards with useful information. The game itself told you what to do. Stern have gotten rid of all of that and have not replaced it with anything.

Amen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UNCgump.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-doesnt-stern-publish-full-clear-rule-set-info?tu=UNCgump and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.