(Topic ID: 173814)

Why doesn't Stern publish full, clear rule set info?

By UNCgump

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15f72f1d42aece88a4c4be34348f41d10d30e562[1] (resized).jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

Some video console games have books to explain every nuance. Some of those guidebooks were a hundred pages of screenshots, items and dependencies, saved checkpoints.

There are plenty of free online rulesheets and videos. PAPA with Bowen, has hundreds of how-to & strategy for most tables found in tournaments. How would you document strategies, certain goals, some with no particular order, the risk/return tradeoffs and would you need a simple, advanced, and wizard sections based on skill level.... that creates dozens paths to follow, depending on how well you could play. I don't think a single manual would do it given player skill ranges, you want the rules for casual or tourney risk/reward , points or story progression?

I loved JJp's map of goal paths seen in-game via status report- for WoZ, there are mini-mode qualifiers needed to melt the witch, the entire set of 8 diamonds to reach the grand wizard mode SOTR. Best of all, its highlighted of where/what you've completed in-game. Does it tell you in what order or what to stack? No.

So given the variety of audiences, and taste for detail or summary, etc. we have forums. discussions change with new code, strategies, videos etc.

I think Stern leaves it vague on purpose for many reasons. Perhaps #1, you can't please everybody - let them find their own way to play.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from UNCgump:

I get the fun of figuring things out. But that's probably appealing to a minority of total players. I think a little clarity might be good to attract less devoted players. Those who like to explore don't have to read the rules.
    And how are they "too busy." It's a limited set of info that must already be clearly outlined somewhere for the sake of making the game.

I don't think that's true. Newbies couldn't care less and "players" will figure out the rules.

No manufactuers have published rule sets since the end of the EM era.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-doesnt-stern-publish-full-clear-rule-set-info/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.