(Topic ID: 125366)

Why doesn't Stern pre-install Cliffy-like protectors?

By scp

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ZenTron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Seriously makes no sense. Even if it was an extra $100 or so.

#2 4 years ago

I think the answer is these aren't designed for home use. An operator isn't concerned with a little wear. And Stern wants to sell games. If the 2012 game still looked and played perfect why would they buy the 2015? We have the option of buying fairly low priced protectors if we care enough. I think Stern and the guys doing MMR have beefed up the ramp protectors stock. It would be a nice option and I would pay it, but I don't think we will see it.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I think the answer is these aren't designed for home use. An operator isn't concerned with a little wear.

They should be. Less wear = more value when they sell the machine off to the private market after operating it.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

They should be. Less wear = more value when they sell the machine off to the private market after operating it.

Agreed.... But I think there's some value even while they own/operate them. Perhaps not for things like shooter lanes but the ramp protectors that prevent broken plastics seems like a win-win.
    I'd also imagine the price would be VERY low if the parts were mass-produced and installed during machine assembly.

While I get they want to sell PROs as cheap as they can, the LE's are clearly targeted towards the collector-class, these would seem like a no-brainer option for LEs...

#5 4 years ago

Every screw, every piece of plastic, every chip costs more and more to make.
    Stern need to make X amount of $ per a machine. For that matter, any company does.
    And as already mentioned, if the machine doesn't break, they wont be able to sell new ones.

#6 4 years ago

Would be nice to have as an option, along the same idea of ordering a car. A win/win for both the NIB (home) buyer and the company; who stands to make a higher profit margin.

#7 4 years ago

Btw- I dont want Cliffy out of business (I just ordered $100 worth of stuff from him this week)!

It's not even about the money, it's also about the convenience!

I was wresting with TSPP tonight to get a few of the ramp protectors on (one requires the upper playfield to be removed and the ramp lifted below it, etc.

1.5 hours for me to do post-production vs 15 seconds to screw in while the game was being assembled.

#8 4 years ago

because they are cheap bastards

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Every screw, every piece of plastic, every chip costs more and more to make.
    Stern need to make X amount of $ per a machine. For that matter, any company does.
    And as already mentioned, if the machine doesn't break, they wont be able to sell new ones.

I agree with your point on cost, so I'd be happy to pay an uncharge for it.

However, regarding it Impacting new sales- I disagree. I doubt many people decide to buy new machines based on their shooter lane wearing a bit and a few ramp plastics cracking

#10 4 years ago

They'd probably install them all upside down, like the backbox latch was on my AC/DC when I got it....

err-----it was backwards, same concept....

#11 4 years ago

My Metallica is NIB and been to two shows with 0 wear and boatloads of play. Imo cliffys aren't meant to protect HUO machines that are well taken care of. They are however incredible at covering wear on an older game when picked up or if a specific game is perhaps said to wear easy in a certain area.

A cliffy goes on and probably never comes off, with that mindset why does it matter if game has slight wear under it?

#12 4 years ago

NIB Mustang Boss comes with ramp protectors and cliffy type protector on the scoop. I was kinda shocked actually.

#13 4 years ago

Probably for the same reason they don't pre-install complete code...

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

not much of a difference in value and they should be writing off the depreciation anyway.

2 weeks later
    #15 4 years ago

It may not put Cliffy out of the business if the pin manufacturers decide work with him to either supply or use him as a consultant.

Also, because many of the NIB customers are now private owners, we want to have pins in pristine/CQ condition. That's why the used market for HUO machines carry a premium.

For the $8K and above NIB games (LE's, Premiums, etc...), ramp protectors have been incorporated (AC/DC, MMRLE), why not look to address and/or prioritize other vulnerable areas of the Play Field. Maybe not all of these areas, but it'll be great to address
    1. Eject shooter's lane
    2. Scoop/eject holes
    3. Ball drop areas, especially if it's over a switch cutout hole

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from scp:

Seriously makes no sense. Even if it was an extra $100 or so.

Simple answer, it cost money. They are looking to cut costs not add them. That's why they put those stupid PLAYFIELD posts in and not rails, also why they don't come with real latching lockdown bars.

#17 4 years ago

Met looks like it has a small protector in front of the snake lower jaw....

#18 4 years ago

Stern does install protectors on most of their ramps which they didn't used to.

But as far as scoops and things like that...I can't imagine them doing it. I love cliffy (and support him often) but think about it...

Back in the day, I believe someone said the machines were built with an anticipated 2 year lifespan. They are built to wear. From Stern's side (or any mfr) obviously they want people to buy new machines.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

the ramp protectors that prevent broken plastics seems like a win-win.
    I'd also imagine the price would be VERY low if the parts were mass-produced and installed during machine assembly.

We saw I believe two ramps break at our tournament the other night at a local location. That was painful.

#20 4 years ago

At least put a metal block around the scoops. Metal ball rolling over wood edge = wear.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from judremy:

At least put a metal block around the scoops. Metal ball rolling over wood edge = wear.

If the playfield had a little recess around that area so the metal was flush that would be cool. A lot of times the metal lip interferes with the ball and upsets me..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Batman 66 Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside