5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mwc (resized).png
    golden_state.jpg
    28B3BDEE-A7B7-41CE-80DD-58D65A1420A8.gif
    5D92F1EB-A97C-486D-9442-71A1E1FC1A03 (resized).jpeg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Your collection is 40 years late!
    Haha. I’m just kidding. I couldn’t think of a good comeback!
    I’ve been shamed, and will never comment again without reading every prior post first... actually that’s probably not true.

haha, all good.

Lancers is actually 57 years old

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I heard the next Stern will have 3 subways and more toys than TZ

And will they up the costs again? Will they cut there margin to crush JJP?

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

Well the obvious answer is because the L doesn't quite extend to Elk Grove Village. Stern is very close to O'Hare though which does have a subway station on the blue line. I suppose if they were willing to relocate a little bit they could start using the subway.

o'hare western access may get some kind of tunnel to the main terminals.

maybe even an Blue Line Extension

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

We should compile a list of design things that are what they are "Because; Gary Stern". This subway thing being one of them, but I've also heard that he insists all games need pop bumpers because it's the beating heart of the pinball machine.

No widebodies
    Pops, and must be in a nest, no single exposed pops ever
    Shooter rod
    Italian bottom
    No design elements added to the bottom even within the Italian bottom constraint (bounce back posts with one way gates, spots in the inlanes, literally any variation at all)
    No subways (finally broke this rule for very short subways on GB/MET prem/LE)
    No original themes

Those are the big ones. No backbox animation in over 10 years (T3) so that may be another

#55 5 years ago

I think they should throw in a "random" exit point so you never know where it will come out. Just make sure it won't drain when it does. Keep people on their toes.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yup. I've talked with people at Stern who say exactly this, they want the ball to be visible, or come back out of where it went in, not appear somewhere else.
    I honestly can't say I can argue with it. Once you're used to it, sure it's cool, but Stern always thinks about location play as part of their strategy, and it's hard for new players. And I mean new to the game, not just new to pinball.
    I'm not gonna bash the new game I played last weekend at Golden Gate Pinball Festival, but the ball randomly appearing wasn't magical, it was annoying.

You could also make the case that for a newbie, the ball falling SDTM after you successfully hit a bash target and aren’t skilled at nudging is more frustrating than the 90s approach of subway>vuk>wireform delivering the ball safely to the flipper.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from nicknack66:

As I read posts, and also from playing their pins, anyone know why Stern is so adverse to subways on their pins? They make so many games you would think they would include at least one subway from time to time.

They do and have recently.

But it makes for a good crybaby talking point for the "cost cutter" crowd.

#58 5 years ago

The decision to eliminate use of subways was a Stern company decision all the way back to 2001.
    There intent was to make cheaper, affordable operator games that were more reliable and less complex.
    It is called a "top down" method, similar to the designed games such as T2 and Getaway.
    Hence, the removal of this type of feature very early on.
    This standard for the most part has remained intact today, and other types of old style innovations removed from games.

For example, return lane kickbacks.
    Removed, for cost reasons as they were considered "unnecessary features".

#59 5 years ago

Supreme has a subway? In a retheme of the home version of Spidey?

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The decision to eliminate use of subways was a Stern company decision all the way back to 2001.
    There intent was to make cheaper, affordable operator games that were more reliable and less complex.
    It is called a "top down" complex, similar to the designed games such as T2 and Getaway.
    Hence, the removal of this type of feature very early on.
    This standard for the most part has remained intact today.

Sorry BK but you need to update the Pong/Atari code in your head from 1980's Westworld scenario

#61 5 years ago

Don't see the need for subways. Not really something you interact with and it can be confusing where the ball will come out on games with subways. Stern does have games where ramps go behind backboard. Always thought that was cool.

#62 5 years ago

Or possibly the designer of said machine has not given/supplied Gary Stern with enough "Adult beverages" just prior to final ok of game.

#63 5 years ago

i honestly dont think that will ever happen...more toys than TZ??? Stern doesnt even have subways in their games due to cost.

#64 5 years ago

for us the old school pinheads subways are cool and adds much more fun to the game,i know not a lot of people will agree but its something i grew up with while playing pinball way back in the good old days

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

for us the old school pinheads subways are cool and adds much more fun to the game,i know not a lot of people will agree but its something i grew up with while playing pinball way back in the good old days

Yeah but it's sooooooo confusing

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah but it's sooooooo confusing

Ha! i really dont see how anyone can be confused about it..lol!!!! goes in one hole comes out in another..very simple and enjoyable

#67 5 years ago

stern is catering to the lowest common denominator by keeping it simple (on the playfield)

it's the same thing with arcade games. ask the operators why they end up taking out fantastic classic games like defender, stargate, tempest and q*bert
    they're too hard for today's ADD youth that want instant gratification and can't be bothered with a game where they actually have to think

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Don't see the need for subways. Not really something you interact with and it can be confusing where the ball will come out on games with subways. Stern does have games where ramps go behind backboard. Always thought that was cool.

lol!!! its not confusing its called fun..capital F capital U capital N... am i right gary stern??

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

Ha! i really dont see how anyone can be confused about it..lol!!!! goes in one hole comes out in another..very simple and enjoyable

and usually has a flashing light that alerts you to it coming out.

#70 5 years ago

This isn't super difficult... It's not the subway itself that's cool, whom gives a shit, it's the ability to make more creative designs on the PF (you may have heard peeps are kind of tired of the similar PFs).
    Cant have a piano shot without a subway, can't shoot a STTNG cannon in a scoop without a subway, Cant have a whirpool without a subway.... Etc

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

and usually has a flashing light that alerts you to it coming out.

thats right..not having subways really takes out a lot of fun from the game especially during multiball

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This isn't super difficult... It's not the subway itself that's cool, whom gives a shit, it's the ability to make more creative designs on the PF (you may have heard peeps are kind of tired of the similar PFs).
    Cant have a piano shot without a subway, can't shoot a STTNG cannon in a scoop without a subway, Cant have a whirpool without a subway.... Etc

right thats what was in my mind and like i said before multiball is way more enjoyable with subways

#73 5 years ago

You guys are crazy if you think subways aren't confusing for inexperienced players. Ever watch a newb play CFTBL? Right into the drain without flipping.

#74 5 years ago

who needs subways when you can spend $500 bucks on a topper?

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

You guys are crazy if you think subways aren't confusing for inexperienced players. Ever watch a newb play CFTBL? Right into the drain without flipping.

Ever watch a newb try to start a game? Walks away without pressing the start button

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Have you ever played a Stern today? Fucking scoops sent the ball SDTM most the time anyway ... They already added a ball saver when it happens so what's the difference? It happens a few times and you learn it.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Ok Then put in more DROP TARGETS if they are that confused Thats another awesome feature that is missing from majority of pins.Stern has WPT and thats probably the only thing i love about that game is the drop targets and the more people hate it the better,price is always great and reasonable on that pin

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

A. Gary Stern.
    1. You can see where balls are stuck.
    2. Cost
    Look back at the games made by Data East (with tunnels), before Gary bought DE.

Gary Stern didn't buy Data East. He bought it when it was owned by Sega.

In any event, he was the president (or General Manager) of Date East and Sega, so he was making the calls the whole time.

#79 5 years ago

Stern obtains the best licenses, thats for sure. Even a Stern enthusiast has to admit they would rather see JJP make a Star Wars pin.

They are a lower cost product, and in fairness, should not be compared. This is a Toyota to a Mercedes comparison. A Pro is sub 6k and a fully loaded JJP is 9,500.00.

Without Stern, this industry was dead a long time ago. They know how to make money, Im sure even at the lower price point they make more per machine than JJP. go and lift a JJP play field, you will see what I mean, the BOM must be more than a Stern Machine MSRP.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Have you ever played a Stern today? Fucking scoops sent the ball SDTM most the time anyway ... They already added a ball saver when it happens so what's the difference? It happens a few times and you learn it.

The difference is obvious, with a scoop the ball comes out of the same hole that it went into.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

Ok Then put in more DROP TARGETS if they are that confused Thats another awesome feature that is missing from majority of pins.Stern has WPT and thats probably the only thing i love about that game is the drop targets and the more people hate it the better,price is always great and reasonable on that pin

Question for you... What do Deadpool, Iron Maiden, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Mustang, Star Trek and Metallica have in common aside from being made by Stern in the last few years?

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

The difference is obvious, with a scoop the ball comes out of the same hole that it went into.

Missed my point. I understand you think people are so dumb they can't move their head 2 inches one way or the other, but they'll learn.
    There's 2 kinds of noobs ; one that will be confused by anything and play once and leave, and those that want to learn. They'll figure it out.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Missed my point.

#84 5 years ago

Haha, baby time.

Anyway, for the grown ups, I think your making it more confusing than it needs to be. Subways usually lead to the same place. Take TZ, we know when the ball "disappears" it's going to come out of the slot machine. When it disappears in No Fear, it's coming out to the right flipper...it's repeatable and people can pick it up pretty quick. Sure of course some dumbasses will never learn but as it was mentioned before these poeple cant even launch the ball.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Missed my point. I understand you think people are so dumb they can't move their head 2 inches one way or the other, but they'll learn.
    There's 2 kinds of noobs ; one that will be confused by anything and play once and leave, and those that want to learn. They'll figure it out.

Nicely put and true.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Question for you... What do Deadpool, Iron Maiden, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Mustang, Star Trek and Metallica have in common aside from being made by Stern in the last few years?

they all have the same crappy layout with different titles...I'm not a noob and i have been playing pinball for many many years.Williams/Bally is King!!

#87 5 years ago

It is unfortunate that some people do not want to understand pinball history, designs, or developments, but rather insult. If they did they might better understand why things happen the way they do in the industry, and move beyond the basics of playing games.

These become the caretakers of games for troubleshooting when the original designers, technicians, and manufacturers are long gone.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

they all have the same crappy layout with different titles...I'm not a noob and i have been playing pinball for many many years.Williams/Bally is King!!

Oh, I guess I was confused... you said that drop targets are missing from the majority of recent pins. Even though that is clearly not true, evidenced by the long list of recent Sterns that have them (on the Pro models, no less).

You may not be a noob, but it's kinda confusing when you make claims that are completely wrong.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

They are not all the same crappy layout. That's just hyperbole. There are different crappy layouts, too.

It's not hard to predict the features of recent Stern games though. To the people who love these games, it's the code that is most important anyway.

#90 5 years ago

A new game needs to unseat STTNG as subway king!

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Oh, I guess I was confused... you said that drop targets are missing from the majority of recent pins. Even though that is clearly not true, evidenced by the long list of recent Sterns that have them (on the Pro models, no less).
    You may not be a noob, but it's kinda confusing when you make claims that are completely wrong.

look Pal, it started off as why there are no subways in Sterns,Someone above stated it was too confusing for them or other people.So,I said if they are confused by having subways put in more drop targets so it would be less confusing to them.

#93 5 years ago

meaning?

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It's not hard to predict the features of recent Stern games though. To the people who love these games, it's the code that is most important anyway.

thats right,dont get me wrong there are some stern games i really love like LOTR,BM66,Sopranos,WPT,SM,SMVE,ect. but the games that have music bands not so much because its the same game just slapped with a different band group.Stern has done a great job keeping our beloved hobby up and running.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

look Pal, it started off as why there are no subways in Sterns,Someone above stated it was too confusing for them or other people.So,I said if they are confused by having subways put in more drop targets so it would be less confusing to them.

Actually Pal, what you said was

Quoted from Cycloneman:

and he is referenicning this part:

Quoted from Cycloneman:

Ok Then put in more DROP TARGETS if they are that confused Thats another awesome feature that is missing from majority of pins.

Which IS completely wrong. if the reason you like WPT is the abundance of drop targets then I don't know what to say. The rules of the game is what makes that game interesting. Most don't take time to understand it but the depth and strategy of that game can get pretty crazy.

Quoted from Cycloneman:

In the good ole days their werern't subways. Shoot their weren't really even ramps.

Quoted from Cycloneman:

You may not consider yourself a noob but this statement here means you either are or you are just prejudice towards Stern games. With the list of games he provided (Iron Maiden, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Mustang, Star Trek and Metallica) you have some pretty unique things from one another.

Don't know why you decided to come into the thread all "bull in a china shop" but damn, it's annoying...

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

thats right,dont get me wrong there are some stern games i really love like LOTR,BM66,Sopranos,WPT,SM,SMVE,ect. but the games that have music bands not so much because its the same game just slapped with a different band group.Stern has done a great job keeping our beloved hobby up and running.

Yeah, you're right. They are just different art packages...

Seriously, how can you say that with a straight face. Yes, AS and Kiss are VERY similar but AC/DC, Met, Maiden and the KISS/AS combo have very little in common at all, even down to the rules.

***edit*** Forgot about Rolling Stones. It's also pretty different. Not saying good, either.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Don't know why you decided to come into the thread all "bull in a china shop" but damn, it's annoying..

i did not i came in very nice and easy...

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Yeah, you're right. They are just different art packages...
    Serious;y, how can you say that with a straight face. Yes, AS and Kiss are VERY similar but AC/DC, Met, Maiden and the KISS/AS combo have very little in common at all, even down to the rules.

those games (TO ME) are the same...

#99 5 years ago

I find it interesting that people repeat the "subways are confusing" for noobs comment. Sure it is the first few times you play a game. Have you seen the games (and complicated controls & rule sets) people (many of them quite young) play on their gaming consoles. Are you saying that those people are so stupid that they can't figure out pinball? Of course they aren't. The difference is they don't pay $1 per turn to get their asses handed to them until they get good enough - they lose interest quick and don't bother to figure it out (drop more coin).

I understand that Stern has to attract money in the cashbox (from walkup casual players) but they also need to balance this with entertainment for the more serious players. That is why variety is the spice of life. Nobody is saying that every game needs subways - we are just saying that some games could benefit from it - just like some games could use to lose the pop-bumpers. Just mix up the formula a little bit more.

On the plus side, Stern is becoming a little more adventurous (perhaps less risk averse) so maybe someday soon we will see the return of more complex subways and such. As others have mentioned the variety would certainly add to more diverse rulesets - and most software developers I know like being challenged with new things.

Keep on flippin!

#100 5 years ago

OP's question: Why doesn’t Stern use subways?

---They do.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-doesn%E2%80%99t-stern-use-subways/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.