(Topic ID: 288079)

Why does Stern allow distributors to jack up prices?

By nicoy3k

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I see major distributors jack up their prices once a game is in high demand and their inventory is low. Isn’t there typically some agreement against doing this? It does nothing but hurt Stern.

#2 3 years ago

What does the ‘S’ in MSRP stand for??

#3 3 years ago

I just love it how everyone cares so sincerely for Stern's well being

#4 3 years ago

It's called capitalism.

#5 3 years ago

Google "Toilet Paper 2020"

#6 3 years ago

Ive never paid even msrp for a stern game and have purchased recently. Are some asking over msrp now? I get it though. Right now there are shortages in tons of industries driving prices up.

#7 3 years ago

I think OP has companies in mind such Apple and Bose who exercise iron-fisted control over their retailers in terms of merchandising, prices (cannot charge more than MSRP, nor can they give any significant discounts), and shipping methods (some stuff is not permitted to be mail/internet ordered and must be bought in-person).

Essentially, these companies want to ensure that their distributors/retailers merchandise the products in a consistent way and walk a fine line and avoid doing anything stupid or underhanded which would reflect poorly on the products or the manufacturer. While it might seem like a dream come true if the pinball industry were to adopt such standards, I don't see anything like this ever becoming commonplace.

#8 3 years ago

I suspect that they don't care... or they may even encourage the practice in order to psh through future price increases. The truth is if the distributors stick with a price ceiling once inventory of a certain game runs low it will just cause a black market. People will buy the remaining stock at the price ceiling and then try to flip it at a true market price. My guess is that Stern would prefer to see the distributors control the flow of the games. It helps to reward them for taking minimums on games that sit forever because of the price floor Stern imposes.

#9 3 years ago

I think it’s normal behavior, see it with hot cars all the time.

#10 3 years ago

This is very simple. Supply and demand determines pricing for many big-ticket, luxury category purchases.

#11 3 years ago

It's not just Stern. CGC MMR topper is jacked up an additional $200 before tax over suggested MSRP after the currency exchange. Here in Canada.

I can't see freight or shipping being even close to costing $200 more.

#12 3 years ago

Why does a dealer's price being high hurt Stern? If the price is higher because everyone is sold out, I'm pretty sure Stern is doing just fine.

#13 3 years ago

MSRP = Manufactures suggested retail price.
    Emphasis on the suggested part.

Supply and demand dictates what retailers (as well a the secondary market) do with the suggested part.
    In times when inventories are really high prices get really competitive and people shop around for the best price (effectively a race to the bottom).
    If there’s a lack of supply and pent up demand for product, prices go up.

This scenario is not unique to pinball.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Why does a dealer's price being high hurt Stern? If the price is higher because everyone is sold out, I'm pretty sure Stern is doing just fine.

Stern builds to order. So it's the dealers ordering games and raising the prices. Which eventually Stern will do to same to the dealers. It's the reason why prices are where they are.

#15 3 years ago

If this is the case why can't they advertise below MSRP then? They can jack it up but can't advertise low. Double standard there, unless the distros are selling a load of bull when they say call for best pricing.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Less money to go towards more games/stern. Could also price potential new customers out. Creates a frustrating customer experience. And it’s not because everything is sold out, it’s because certain titles are sold out.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

I think OP has companies in mind such Apple and Bose who exercise iron-fisted control over their retailers in terms of merchandising, prices (cannot charge more than MSRP, nor can they give any significant discounts), and shipping methods (some stuff is not permitted to be mail/internet ordered and must be bought in-person).
    Essentially, these companies want to ensure that their distributors/retailers merchandise the products in a consistent way and walk a fine line and avoid doing anything stupid or underhanded which would reflect poorly on the products or the manufacturer. While it might seem like a dream come true if the pinball industry were to adopt such standards, I don't see anything like this ever becoming commonplace.

Pretty much, I find it odd because stern does exhibit a lot of this behavior already. They are extremely tight lipped around releases and I’m pretty sure do not let distributors advertise discounts of any kind

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I see major distributors jack up their prices once a game is in high demand and their inventory is low. Isn’t there typically some agreement against doing this? It does nothing but hurt Stern.

Stern keeps raising there prices also so it may be Sterns doing not distributor. Plus if Stern finds out that a distributor is charging less then there minimum they have threatened to cut off the distributor. Most distributors will come down a few hundred if you ask but some list at there bottom price right off the bat. Call around to get lowest price then call Automated and tell them you found it cheaper and they will match it and have it to you in 2-3 days if its in there stock or Sterns stock is my method.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

If this is the case why can't they advertise below MSRP then? They can jack it up but can't advertise low. Double standard there, unless the distros are selling a load of bull when they say call for best pricing.

Exactly, Stern already runs a tight ship when it comes to discounts, you would think the same would apply to price gouging that directly hurts stern.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

They are extremely tight lipped around releases and I’m pretty sure do not let distributors advertise discounts of any kind

Not true.

Stern has rules about minimums and quoting, but not bans on discounts outright.

#21 3 years ago

Might also consider not all distributors are the Same! Some buyers hunt for weeks to save that $50 others use distributors for more then a purchase. Some distributors Earn their business After the sale and have costs associated. White glove, hand delivered, in my house, transported, adjusted, 24/7 complaint support all cost money. Value added to those that need it, not so for those that don't. I value my distributors and support that by supporting them. They Earned it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-stern-allow-distributors-to-jack-up-prices-?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.