(Topic ID: 123114)

Why does routing a game lessen the value?

By fattdirk

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Maleko
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-1.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    de.jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Love the avocado.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from joey316g:

I prefer routed stuff.. You can usually get them cheaper and they play just fine or need minimal work to get them going 100%. I don't give a crap about a few scrapes on a cabinet or a couple holes drilled for a lock bar. So there's a little wear at some ball drops. Does it affect gameplay? That's all I care about. Clean it, stick a piece of Mylar on it and call it a day. I'll gladly take a routed TOTAN from someone right now if they are gonna give me the "routed discount".... It's all bs.

Best example I can give is a HUO Gofers I picked up, while the condition is very nice which I like what I like most is that it was not been "hacked" for example the Gofer mechs are very complicated and hard to get parts for. Now of course they can still break but at least I will fix the game correctly as did the previous owners. Some things cannot be reversed! So it does affect gameplay

Anyhow I have no issues with a routed game, I also have a nice Shadow that was routed has a sticker on the sanctum but it plays well so I love it.

#53 5 years ago

My LOTR was routed and had a crazy number of plays on it. That being said, it looks gorgeous now and I would gladly put it up against HUO games.

#54 5 years ago

1000's of plays vs. 100's of plays...!!!

On 8+ hours a day vs. 8 hrs a week...!!!

I'll take HUO every time................Joey

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

And what does this mean in terms of overall playability?
    Does the game wear out?

It's a commercial machine. It's made to take that level of play. That's how it's engineered.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

100's of play HUO, left in a carport where it got water damage and heat problems in southern FL. 100's of plays HUO, in some rental unit where it got the crap beat out of it. 100's of plays HUO, but the owners let the kids them draw and it and carve it with knives. HUO is meaningless as a standalone measure. A route game can be nicer than a HUO, condition is the key regardless of the claims of HUO. Its more likely a HUO game (which can never be proven anyway) will be nicer than a routed one, but in no way is it a given.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

100's of play HUO, left in a carport where it got water damage and heat problems in southern FL. 100's of plays HUO, in some rental unit where it got the crap beat out of it. 100's of plays HUO, but the owners let the kids them draw and it and carve it with knives. HUO is meaningless as a standalone measure. A route game can be nicer than a HUO, condition is the key regardless of the claims of HUO. Its more likely a HUO game (which can never be proven anyway) will be nicer than a routed one, but in no way is it a given.

HUO that never had the tilt installed and was dragged around the basement using the rusty balls that come standard with every Stern.

#58 5 years ago

Routed games may not have the stigma in the future as smoking in bars and stuff like that has been dying/outlawed for a few years.

Of course the only thing that matters is shooter lane condition

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Yes ANYTHING is possible but if you look at the larger pool of games i'd say 9 out of 10 times (maybe more) a HUO game will be in nicer condition then a routed game. Ive operated pins at a local place that looks over them well & ive still had to deal with drinks spilled on the games, scratched up art from stools combined with the general knucklehead players who feel you play the games by shaking them as hard as you can as opposed to using the flipper buttons.

Yes some home owners dont take as good a care as others but id say on a larger sample most HUO games are taken care of much better then those that were on route.

Are you going to sit here and tell me that if you came across the same game one being HUO & one being a former route game you wouldnt pick up the HUO version even if it was just a few hundred bucks more?

To answer the OP's question of course condition means everything but in general yes HUO games usually are worth more cause they in general are treated better then games on route where someone is paying to play and feel they can slma or shake the game around as much as they like.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Are you going to sit here and tell me that if you came across the same game one being HUO & one being a former route game you wouldnt pick up the HUO version even if it was just a few hundred bucks more?

Absolutely if the condition of the routed game is better than the condition of the supposedly (since it can never be proven) HUO, given the cost of each. Sure they want a few hundred more (lets face it its never that close) for the supposed HUO one, but both games are clean, non-hacked, and non-broken. I'll take the cheaper one all day long.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

Why does routing a game lessen the value?

Because beating the crap out of a game effects it's condition which is the only real determining factor of it's value.
    By beating the crap out of it I mean
    leaving it on all day for kids to mash flippers/kick when ball drains
    while dad spills a beer on it
    and older brother carves initials in it
    etc.
    Those things are much more likely to happen on route rather then in a private gameroom.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, this is mine.

You live in the Brady house? Cool.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, this is mine.
    th-1.jpeg

You can almost see Alice getting a special delivery from Sam

#65 5 years ago

You can get routed machines in good condition IF the operator took care of his route. I would say a majority of route owners don't take care of their inventory tho. Some just like to "set it, and forget it". Condition and title should be the only factor in price, not where it came from.

#66 5 years ago

My whole point here is that some collectors hear routed and don't actually check the condition. They just assume it's bad. I think that's stupid although bring on the discount as far as I'm concerned. I believe a game is always worth checking out routed or not.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

My whole point here is that some collectors hear routed and don't actually check the condition. They just assume it's bad. I think that's stupid although bring on the discount as far as I'm concerned. I believe a game is always worth checking out routed or not.

Unless the game smells like smoke or hotdogs.

#68 5 years ago

Well lets throw one more angle at this, never mind the poor routed pin versus HUO, heaven help you if the game you want turns up but is branded re-import!! Like it came back from a leper colony!

These terms for ranking a pin, are along the lines of used cars,,like the old saying lady driven is suppose to envision that the car is going to be something better than if a daily driver. Who knows the former owner never changed the oil or lubed the ball joints.

As everyone has stated it is only the present condition that bears any relevance to the pricing.

By the way all my pins have been played by nuns and never been cursed at or had the flipper buttons man handled! LOL.

#69 5 years ago

Minimally when I hear game is been routed I assume it needs a shop job, playfield cleaning, yada yada, plus I would suspect some bulbs out and maybe a switch or 2 need repaired/replaced, possibly a couple chipped plastics? and maybe flipper Button wear.

Those are my first assumptions.

I assume when someone is selling a HUO game that I really need to check stuff out, get history, verify , fact check, ask questions , paperwork? You get the point!

A HUO only game should need nothing done , unless it's been specified as such.

#70 5 years ago

routed games are full of surprises!!!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

Minimally when I hear game is been routed I assume it needs a shop job, playfield cleaning, yada yada, plus I would suspect some bulbs out and maybe a switch or 2 need repaired/replaced, possibly a couple chipped plastics? and maybe flipper Button wear.
    I assume when someone is selling a HUO game that I really need to check stuff out, get history, verify , fact check, ask questions , paperwork? You get the point!

Why, airballs that break plastics don't happen on HUO machines? Bulbs don't burn out? Switches don't fail/need adjustment?

#72 5 years ago

Of course they do. Exceptions for everything but the majority of the time the point is HUO vs routed normally means less wear and nicer environment. It's that simple

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

your last sentence is ascribing "condition" to the term "huo"...

which is why some of us are so adamant about the term meaning nothing...

edit: furthermore, the assumptions you start with are faulty...

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

your last sentence is ascribing "condition" to the term "huo"...
    which is why some of us are so adamant about the term meaning nothing...
    edit: furthermore, the assumptions you start with are faulty...

+ 1 million. This is exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't mean shit.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, this is mine.
    th-1.jpeg

The Brady Bunch HUO!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 174.99
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 91.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 115.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 47.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Decals
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Other
    Cento Creations
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside