(Topic ID: 39090)

Why does planetary take 3 days just to ship? Just Venting.

By Whysnow

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by STTNG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

imagesCAK4GXZ2.jpg

#1 11 years ago

This is the only company I order things from that regularly takes 3 days to process a stinking order!

I looked at my last 3 orders and all 3 times it takes them 3 days to just pick and ship.

WTF?!?!?!?

Does anyone else have this issue?

What is the point in me paying for priority shipping if they are going to take 3 full days just to put the damn stuff in the mail?

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What is the point in me paying for priority shipping if they are going to take 3 full days just to put the damn stuff in the mail?

Because Priority is 2-3 day shipping and then you can get in 5-6 days instead of 7-8?

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Why does planetary take 3 days just to ship????

Because they are a small company, not Amazon?

#4 11 years ago

So you already knew this from previous experience, then ordered again, and are now making a public complaint.

Uh huh...

#5 11 years ago

wow 3 days, i wish it was the same for me, i've been waiting a month... nothing.

just answering my e-mail/or any news takes him 3-4 days.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

So you already knew this from previous experience, then ordered again, and are now making a public complaint.
    Uh huh...

The first time I assumed it was a fluke, the 2nd time I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and the 3rd time it became apparent it was a trend.

I figure bad customer service is worth complaining about isn't it...

Also wanted to see if this is standard practice.

Quoted from vid1900:

Because they are a small company, not Amazon?

Pinball Life, Marco, and Mad all seem to ship same day or at most within 24hours.

I actually find that many times my Amazon orders take longer than other places.

#7 11 years ago

also, just kind of venting as I am waiting on a few things to be able to continue on my FT project.

#8 11 years ago

Planetary just moved into a new warehouse, they were pretty backed up on orders. Like Vid1900 said, small operation.

#9 11 years ago

well I can take comfort that it is not just me.

From a business perspective they should just post on their website that typical processing time is 3 days. Then everyone would know what to expect.

#10 11 years ago

I don't understand what the size of the business has to do with anything. Either you prioritize getting your customers orders out the door quickly, or you prioritize something else. It's as simple as that.

#11 11 years ago

Just ordered inserts and it was 2-3 days before shipped, but Bay Area Amusements seem to ship much faster. I thought they were pretty much the same company. Anyway, not a big deal to me as long as I get parts within a week.

Kevin

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

...Marco,...all seem to ship same day or at most within 24hours.

You must have better luck with Marco than I do now. They used to ship within a day for me, but ever since their new system went in, it's at least 3-days before shipping. My last order took a week I think before it shipped.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Marco... all seem to ship same day or at most within 24hours.

You must be blowing somebody at Marco, because even though I have an account and spend $1k + per order, I never get service like that, LOL.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

I don't understand what the size of the business has to do with anything.

Small businesses are lightly staffed. Literally the shipping department might be 1-3 employees.

It only takes a small surge in orders to make a day or two backlog.

Gary Stern said that pinball sales are up 30% in 2012.

How many business that have only a few employees can be prepared for a 30% increase in orders? If you just said to yourself "Hire 30% more people", you have no idea what it costs to run a business.

The FTC gives mail order businesses 30 days to ship, anything faster than that is icing on the cake.

#15 11 years ago

I don't understand what the size of the business has to do with anything. Either you prioritize getting your customers orders out the door quickly, or you prioritize something else. It's as simple as that.

+100. it's all about customers service and unfortunately some don't get it!
    and some will lose my business because of that.

#16 11 years ago

well... I just placed orders at Marco, PBL, and LSOG tonight. Should be interesting to see which gets processed first and which gets here first.

My money is on Terry just due to proximity to me.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

+100. it's all about customers service and unfortunately some don't get it!
    and some will lose my business because of that.

If they tell you "All our orders go out the same day" and then they take 3 days, then that is bad customer service.

When I order parts for my tractor, I don't expect them to ship the same day. They don't claim to ship the same day. In about a week or so they ship. I just accept that they are not Amazon.

#18 11 years ago

Same deal here - its not 3 days to ship its 3 days to process - I got my confirmation that a UPS slip was created but they never actually shipped it for 3-4 days later, ordered items on Jan 31st - wont be here till the 11th. Im in NJ

Its not a huge deal but its not the best either...

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If they tell you "All our orders go out the same day" and then they take 3 days, then that is bad customer service.
    When I order parts for my tractor, I don't expect them to ship the same day. They don't claim to ship the same day. In about a week or so they ship. I just accept that they are not Amazon.

i have no problems if it's not ship the same day and i'm fine if it takes 2-3 days to get the order ready but after that i do, it's like they don't care.

let's put this the other way around, let's say i get my parts from PBR and forget to send my money order (in 2013 money order, go figure) for a month, do you think he's gonna like that?

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Small businesses are lightly staffed. Literally the shipping department might be 1-3 employees.
    It only takes a small surge in orders to make a day or two backlog.
    Gary Stern said that pinball sales are up 30% in 2012.
    How many business that have only a few employees can be prepared for a 30% increase in orders? If you just said to yourself "Hire 30% more people", you have no idea what it costs to run a business.
    The FTC gives mail order businesses 30 days to ship, anything faster than that is icing on the cake.

I own and operate a small business that is probably very similar to PP, and frankly I am usually on the other side of this argument as everyone seems to demand Walmart/amazon service (not to mention prices). But not here. You go in that day and you have a lot to do. Maybe too much to do. So you say "what am I going to do RIGHT NOW", and then you do that. And it is my opinion that if that thing isn't processing the orders you already have then you don't have your priorities straight.

I should probably say that this is a general principle having nothing to do with PP. I have never dealt with them and for all I know the OP included non-business days as part of the 3 days, which would make this whole public calling out thing a total dick move.

And did you seriously just say that anything faster than 30 days is icing on the cake?

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's his tractor part business and he can run it any way he wants to. But don't kid yourself, the fact that he takes a week to ship doesnt mean "he's not Amazon", it means that he isn't prioritizing your order over whatever else he has going on. You may not mind the wait but most will, so it leaves the door open for a competitor that values his customers more than he does.

#22 11 years ago

PBL hasn't shipped the same day for me in a super long time.

#23 11 years ago

It's his tractor part business and he can run it any way he wants to. But don't kid yourself, the fact that he takes a week to ship doesnt mean "he's not Amazon", it means that he isn't prioritizing your order over whatever else he has going on.

Think of Newegg.com , the computer parts store.

They can take a couple of days to process your order.

OR you can pay money ($2) for Rush Processing and they will ship the same day.

-

Note, they keep growing a larger market share, even though they are not prioritizing my order over whatever else they have going on (unless I pay them, of course).

Again, they aren't Amazon....

#24 11 years ago

I say boycott planetary pinball for awhile and let them know who really runs there company, The consumer. Im in I will not order another thing from them. These companies with poor customer support/shipping time etc.. should be put in there place. We the Pinball People should stand together on this type of stuff and things would change.

#25 11 years ago

for all I know the OP included non-business days as part of the 3 days, which would make this whole public calling out thing a total dick move.

Just wanted to point out I was only counting business days. I also did not really mean this as a call out. Merely a venting. No need to boycott PPS, they provide great products. I just wish they would make it a priority to ship already placed orders out the door. If they do not have that capability, then I would like to see them just post on the check out page that orders will take up to X days to ship.

It is all about managing expectations and unless I am directly told, I always expect every business to ship w/in 1 business day.

#26 11 years ago

I can't imagine Steve young having many employees, but he ships out stuff licketysplit.

Never more than a day or two before my order arrives. Granted, I live in the next state over, but that still means he ships same day or next day most of the time.

That's been my experience.

Either way, the vendor should indicate order processing time, and not charge your cc until the order ships.

#27 11 years ago

You guys have to realize if it wasn't for Rick and his company you would never be waiting for some parts. Rick has done tons for this hobby. Everyone needs to chill... It's only pinball.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

I say boycott planetary pinball for awhile and let them know who really runs there company

You do realize that Rick shares the licensing rights for all Bally/Williams products. He works directly with companies such as CPR to reproduce items for this hobby. Without him some things would never hit the market.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Think of Newegg.com , the computer parts store.
    They can take a couple of days to process your order.
    OR you can pay money ($2) for Rush Processing and they will ship the same day.
    -
    Note, they keep growing a larger market share, even though they are not prioritizing my order over whatever else they have going on (unless I pay them, of course).
    Again, they aren't Amazon....

I assure you that shipping orders is neweggs top priority. That $2 gets you bumped to the front of the line because they get presumably hundreds if not thousands of orders every day, and they may actually not get to it that day because of a temporary spike in volume. What's a company like PP get? 5 orders a day? 10?

#30 11 years ago

What's a company like PP get? 5 orders a day? 10?

150 on average.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You must be blowing somebody at Marco, because even though I have an account and spend $1k + per order, I never get service like that, LOL.

I won't spend the extra for priority shipping now, because it doesn't seem to come any faster. Then I have to wait for replacement parts when they ship wrong.

#32 11 years ago

I understand the need to vent...I've been there myself...but if you want things to change, Email Rick and tell him your concerns. If no one says anything, he'll think no one has an issue.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Because Priority is 2-3 day shipping and then you can get in 5-6 days instead of 7-8?

or just busy/bad time of the year.

Don't tarnish everyone with the same the brush.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

I say boycott planetary pinball for awhile and let them know who really runs there company, The consumer. Im in I will not order another thing from them. These companies with poor customer support/shipping time etc.. should be put in there place. We the Pinball People should stand together on this type of stuff and things would change.

Boycott them all.

We don't need parts.

Rick, Terry, Steve, have money and time invested in getting things made and remade. Let's show them who is boss right now.

The sooner they close up shop, the better off we'll be.

Or maybe, just maybe. When you see them at a show. Thank them for doing the best they can.

These guys aren't getting rich on pinball parts.

LTG : )

#35 11 years ago

LTG, You beat me to it.

I'm also one of those guys who can't wait for the mail to come.
    New package at the door, almost like sex....alright maybe not! but you get my point.

Just be patient and thankful that there is a place to order from. The alternative would be

imagesCAK4GXZ2.jpgimagesCAK4GXZ2.jpg

And I dont mean the game!

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

150 on average.

150 a day, every day? If that # is even close to reality then count me as amazed, I had no idea the pin parts market was that large (this is just one of many players in this space after all). How many of us insane pinheads are there?

Even so, its hardly the point. We process almost that exact number (1000 per week) and during our busy times I jump in and pack orders, tape boxes, etc, whatever I can do to help get them out the door. But then again we don't have trademarks that protect us from competition so it's necessary to outperform the competition. I think our disagreement comes down to "what I have to do" vs "best business practice". He doesn't HAVE to ship the orders as quickly as possible, but that certainly doesn't make not doing so the best course of action.

#37 11 years ago

I think our disagreement comes down to

I don't think we have a disagreement.

Some places ship same day (Amazon), some 2 day (Newegg) and some a week (Antique Tractor).

None of the above concerns me at all.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

well... I just placed orders at Marco, PBL, and LSOG tonight. Should be interesting to see which gets processed first and which gets here first.
    My money is on Terry just due to proximity to me.

Amazingly enough all 3 orders arrived on Saturday, the exact same day!

I opened the one form PBL first, so I give them the slight edge

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Boycott them all.
    We don't need parts.
    Rick, Terry, Steve, have money and time invested in getting things made and remade. Let's show them who is boss right now.
    The sooner they close up shop, the better off we'll be.
    Or maybe, just maybe. When you see them at a show. Thank them for doing the best they can.
    LTG : )

They must be & I quote "time invested in getting things made & remade"

Can't them doing the above then loose out financially, can you? Rhetorical.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Rich is subjective. They do make quite a healthy profit on pinball. Good businessmen don't go into business to lose money. Good businessmen close businesses that lose money and do something else. The longevity and growth of the top three (pinball life, Marco, and BAM) means they are making money.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Good businessmen close businesses that lose money and do something else.

Well said.. But attempting to get that across to members who have had a boss looking over their work for the last x amount of years is a task in it's self.

#entertherealworld

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-planetary-take-3-days-just-to-ship-wtf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.