Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 527 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180402_202634 (resized).jpg
    20190807_150448.jpg
    t3vQQO2NcCeP3dpr1w5v.jpg
    f3cd8572-1590-43fa-8cc1-d43792b0c20d (resized).jpg
    shutterstock_677646532-992x558 (resized).jpg
    washington-state-fan-popcorn.gif
    download (resized).jpeg
    quote-money-talks-bullshit-walks-stephen-king-50-83-90 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Call (resized).jpg
    tumblr_n9m5suM10y1roclo3o2_1280 (resized).jpg
    sinclair (resized).jpg
    giphy (1).gif
    rainbow.gif
    486B6407-E336-4F91-B47C-875477958584 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 527 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
    #351 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

His "ads" are being promoted on my worklogs... my homebrew page.

If you want your own ad-free page, buy some web hosting and make one. If you want a Pinside page you'll have whatever the site owner wants.

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

On a side note, have you asked the shops in question to remove your game link from their items?

Almost a full page of this thread is him repeatedly asking the shops, justifiably, to remove the links. In fact one of the shops refused here publically in a very rude way.

I'd hope you would suspend the rude shop before you delisted the nice homebrew guy... one is clearly a good part of the Pinside community, the other is driving people away from your platform...

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

My view is that showing Pinstadium ads on every game is the same as showing pinballs or any other generic part on every game. It really dilutes the functionality of the ad system and makes people not pay attention to any ads.

That's how I feel about this too. No single product should be allowed to overtake the promo box. The idea has always been that cool homebrew shop items are displayed. Things that might make you enjoy your game more. But also aftermarket parts, new ramps, a creature hologram (sic) and more!

And aside from shop items, also featured and wishlist marketplace games are rotated in there.

However, some items (like PinStadiums) are usable on mostly all games, and that's when you will see them pop up all the time: they always link. I will need to work out a way to limit that.

#354 4 years ago

I'd wager a trivial amount of actual sales come from the 'targeted' marketplace ads on this silly website about a game that interests middle-aged white men.

Its downright amazing the amount of time and energy people are wasting on such a nonsensical issue.

When was the last time anybody with half a brain bought a product from a targeted ad?

Don't like the ads... just use an adblocker and move on with your life. I can't believe people even browse the web without one these days.

#355 4 years ago

Wow...just got home from work, and this is approaching 200 upvotes!!!! Pretty safe to say this not the type of publicity or response ANY mod manufacturer would want.

Confident Robin will sort, but quite sure there are many things more pressing in an average day for him (and this may not be as easy as it sounds).

It is very discouraging that he would even have to address it, but obviously, the "system" has been abused.

So, so over this product, and the blatant, overstated bs rhetoric associated with it. The very first post can't sum this up any better....enough is f**king enough (added embellishment).

Everyone knows what this product is. Some like it, but believe it or not, a large # don't. This was expressed years ago. Is what it is...

#356 4 years ago

Am I the only one not in a real hurry for a solution?

#357 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That would sure quell the excitement. So, I'm not either.

#358 4 years ago

I'm publicly thanking robin for resolving the matter on my behalf.
    All the ads were removed on my Homebrew.
    Thanks!

#359 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You're not alone (glad you're back, btw)....looks like the solution is "fixing" itself anyway. A healthy thread, imho. Nice to see some others called out (deservedly) as opposed to bashing just the games or manufacturers.

#360 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I'm publicly thanking Robin for resolving the matter on my behalf.
    All the ads were removed on my Homebrew.
    Thanks!

Awesome, please dont remove your game though. I've played it, its cool (at least I'm pretty sure I played it at either expo or tpf). Not just anyone can do a homebrew and it should be part of pinside if nothing else for the history of the game. Dont let some meaningless adds at the bottom take away others ability to find and see your work.

#361 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Doesn't that Pinky need some extra lighting?

#362 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Awesome, please dont remove your game though. I've played it, its cool (at least I'm pretty sure I played it at either expo or tpf). Not just anyone can do a homebrew and it should be part of pinside if nothing else for the history of the game. Dont let some meaningless adds at the bottom take away others ability to find and see your work.

It didn't come to that. It wasn't an empty threat; but robin was understanding and resolved it without me having to resort to that nuclear option.
    Cooler heads prevaled; and I'm still very much appreciative to the work robin and his bother do on a day-to-day basis.

#363 4 years ago

Why dont they put a diffuser on the led strip so it doesnt look so bad.

#364 4 years ago
    Quoted from newtoit:

Why dont they put a diffuser on the led strip so it doesnt look so bad.

They are coming out with another add on item called Blur for that. Mo money for dat too

#365 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Doesn't that Pinky need some extra lighting?

No, but if this thread was to continue, I was going to document step by step the removal of all leds from my Comet

#366 4 years ago

Step one: rip them out!

#367 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Step one: rip them out!

Step one's more like just get the heck off pinside and do it! It should be done by now. A month ago it would have been done by now.

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Wow...just got home from work, and this is approaching 200 upvotes!!!!

I just made it a cool 189. 200 by midnight.

#369 4 years ago

the crowd complaining about pinstadium:

(edited)

#370 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Oh, I have read it and watched it evolve in real time.... Here is the TLDR version of the thread-
    - Guy points out there is a shitload of Robot Light icons down at the bottom of every page
    - Another 150 guys acknowledge that the Robot Light icons are abusive and still very confusing
    - Robot Light guy gets super nervous about the negative PR and starts posting random lonely posts in the Sandbox he has been restricted to.
    - Weird super sensitive Parking ticket guy steps in to lead a crusade against Robot Light guy and how he has been disrespected on a website owned by someone else.
    - Weird super sensitive parking ticket guy somehow manages to make Robot Light guy look like an actual normal person in this whole fiasco.
    - Nothing is accomplished, everyone that is chemically balanced has a good laugh, and everyone else is making a trip to their local hardware store to make sure they have plenty of pitchforks for their upcoming crusade.

This really deserves more upvotes.

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

This really deserves more upvotes.

I agree. I’d love it if ralphwiggum did this for other threads.

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

I agree. I’d love it if ralphwiggum did this for other threads.

Its a translation tool I acquired by having three children that will argue about the stupidest shit known to mankind. I will repeat back their arguments using this same translation technique to illustrate how stupid they sound. I have been looking for my father of the year award, but it has yet to show up, must have been misplaced in the mail somewhere.

I am not surprised how easily it works on this forum at times....

#373 4 years ago

I think it was pretty ridiculous the “right now” mentality of a select few to remove ads. Robin recognizes it as an issue but these things take time to consider what to do, code, test, release...

#374 4 years ago

Well, to be fair, he might accidentally order some for his own homebrew...so, emergency duh

#375 4 years ago

Just take 90% of them down it floods the market place.

426815FE-A952-4698-B534-B5686D418F56 (resized).jpeg426815FE-A952-4698-B534-B5686D418F56 (resized).jpeg
    #376 4 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

I think it was pretty ridiculous the “right now” mentality of a select few to remove ads. Robin recognizes it as an issue but these things take time to consider what to do, code, test, release...

They want it more like: Ready, Fire, Aim.....

#377 4 years ago

When I’m rushing code or a change at work I like to yell yeeeehawwwwwww right before I push the button.

#378 4 years ago

Well WackyBrakke, those near 200 thumbs up sure make up for your last couple of thread disasters, don't they?

#379 4 years ago

Good to see you back O-Din !

thorodin-625x352 (resized).jpgthorodin-625x352 (resized).jpg
    #380 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Good to see you back O-Din ![quoted image]

You might want to talk to your son, maybe in the TBL thread?

fthor.giffthor.gif
    #381 4 years ago

What do you think is better, Limiting Ads, or allowing a filter to block certain vendors?

The ads are "free" so no promises to vendors, on ad reach while someone wishing to focus their shopping.

#382 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

They are coming out with another add on item called Blur for that. Mo money for dat too

Great, now we can have blurry electric clown puke.

#383 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Great, now we can have blurry electric clown puke.

Speaking of...I hope we get some clown announcement this fall from spooky, as in Killer Klowns from Outer Space

KillerKlowns_SPOOKY_PINBALL (resized).pngKillerKlowns_SPOOKY_PINBALL (resized).png
    #384 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What do you think is better, Limiting Ads, or allowing a filter to block certain vendors?

Although I'm probably good at ignoring ads on the internet, a variety of ads provides more value to me. Different vendors & different products. You may see 10 ads for the new F-150 pickup during the SuperBowl, but they don't play them to you back to back to back.

#385 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Speaking of...I hope we get some clown announcement this fall from spooky, as in Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Killer Klowns stars Grant Cramer, otherwise known as Scotty Palmer from Hardbodies.

Surprised he never won an oscar for either role.

#386 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Speaking of...I hope we get some clown announcement this fall from spooky, as in Killer Klowns from Outer Space[quoted image]

That would be amazing.

#387 4 years ago

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this has been answered, but wouldn't the simplest solution code side be that when it decides what ads to show it just limits it two or 2 ads per seller per page? Then it won't matter how many games a product is linked to, in any given list of ads on a page you would never see 1 or 2 of their ads.

#389 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this has been answered, but wouldn't the simplest solution code side be that when it decides what ads to show it just limits it two or 2 ads per seller per page? Then it won't matter how many games a product is linked to, in any given list of ads on a page you would never see 1 or 2 of their ads.

Or just ban them altogether. Would be the better choice.

#390 4 years ago

201 likes! I can't fit everyone in my screenshot.

Screenshot_20190806-231251_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190806-231251_Chrome.jpg
    #391 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

No because many games would only have one page of ads anyway.
    Also if you're looking for mods for certain games you might have one seller that created many different mods for a game.
    There's some pretty talented guys on here as far as 3D printing, sculpting, modeling and casting go.
    Some of those guys might have 3-5 different one of a kind custom mods for the same machine.
    Since each one of those are a unique product I don't think they should be limited.

#392 4 years ago
    Quoted from anathematize:

I'd wager a trivial amount of actual sales come from the 'targeted' marketplace ads on this silly website about a game that interests middle-aged white men.
    Its downright amazing the amount of time and energy people are wasting on such a nonsensical issue.

On the flip side - for some people making mods is their livelihood, so them being able to feature prominently is important and could make the difference between being able to pay the bills one month and not.

If the ads system is monopolised by entities with the power to do so, either through sponsorship or abuse of the game linking system then all it means is people lose faith in this part of the website, their eyes will glaze over when they see the shop section of whatever game they're interested, and that's that. When was the last time you looked at anything on Google beyond page 2 or 3?

One quick and dirty solution I can think of is a weighting system whereby the more games a mod is linked to the less prominently it appears in the list. This makes sense if it's a generic mod anyway, as it's more likely people would be familiar with it vand aware of the global compatibility anyway (e.g. like PDI glass or ColorDMD). This weighting would mean a mod that only exists for one or two games would always feature highly relative to one-size-fits-all mods.

#393 4 years ago

Wow that's a lot of activity.

Screenshot_20190807-014844_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190807-014844_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #394 4 years ago

Pinstadium. I’ll never buy anything now from them. It’s not even that cool. How bright do you need it? I think even sdtm pinball show starts off with their ad, no longer watching.

#395 4 years ago

Saw a bunch of games at TPF that had Pinstadium. The constant flickering gave me a headache.

Remember when they first started and they would bombard threads with product placement and (prob fake) testimonials? Ugh. They are the worst. And due to the non stop advertising, I never check the market for products related to my games which I'm sure has cost other product sellers money.

#396 4 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

One quick and dirty solution I can think of is a weighting system whereby the more games a mod is linked to the less prominently it appears in the list. This makes sense if it's a generic mod anyway, as it's more likely people would be familiar with it vand aware of the global compatibility anyway (e.g. like PDI glass or ColorDMD). This weighting would mean a mod that only exists for one or two games would always feature highly relative to one-size-fits-all mods.

Thanks for being constructive. I like this idea.

#397 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The ads are "free" so no promises to vendors, on ad reach while someone wishing to focus their shopping.

end user functionality improvements is always the answer.

I really hop I have the ability to block a user and no longer see any of their ads. I have never used the block feature but would happily do so in this case.

I used to really enjoy the targeted advertising. "oh, cool monster fish mod specifically for my FT" now, ALL potential sales are missing out since I have gone blind from pinstadium ads spamming everything.

It is honestly strange to me that the block user function does not also remove that users ads from your experience.

#398 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I used to really enjoy the targeted advertising. "oh, cool monster fish mod specifically for my FT" now, ALL potential sales are missing out since I have gone blind from pinstadium ads spamming everything.

This.

A number of purchases I make are driven by search engine results. Sites that have a crappy search engine (I'm looking at you Amazon) I tend to not use as they waste my time having to wade through hundreds of ads that have NOTHING to do with the very specific terms I have entered.

I know why they do it; perhaps I'll see something else I want to buy. Sorry bro, my brain isn't wired that way, I'm resentful you are wasting my time on a simple request.

Contrast Ebay's search engine with Amazons and there is a night and day difference looking things up and the number of correct hits you get..

So if Pinstadium is going to flood Pinside's search feature with false results.. there is no reason for me to shop on Pinside as the search results are being diluted by the abuse of the system.

Just a thought for Robin.

I would have purchased a rectifier board kit through the forum for a Bally game I'm working on but the ad for the kit and linked game didn't show up till days after I purchased a different one from another vendor outside Pinside. Would have saved me $50 too.

#399 4 years ago

I find pinstadium ok if you want to plug and play.
    But i will never buy it.
    I don't like to light up the whole playfield.
    Its more fun to make your own lightning plan and cheaper.
    I ignore things that i won't want to read.
    So i don't care where pinstadium pops up.
    Yes they make a lot off money so what.

#400 4 years ago

Must have been corrected as I'm only seeing a couple ads for them now when I look at the market place banner. Any one else seeing the same?

There are 527 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-pinstadium-get-to-flood-all-market-pages-/page/8?hl=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.