Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 527 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180402_202634 (resized).jpg
    20190807_150448.jpg
    t3vQQO2NcCeP3dpr1w5v.jpg
    f3cd8572-1590-43fa-8cc1-d43792b0c20d (resized).jpg
    shutterstock_677646532-992x558 (resized).jpg
    washington-state-fan-popcorn.gif
    download (resized).jpeg
    quote-money-talks-bullshit-walks-stephen-king-50-83-90 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Call (resized).jpg
    tumblr_n9m5suM10y1roclo3o2_1280 (resized).jpg
    sinclair (resized).jpg
    giphy (1).gif
    rainbow.gif
    486B6407-E336-4F91-B47C-875477958584 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 527 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
    #201 4 years ago

I think we got a response from Robin so why not just allow him time to address the issue and see where it leads us. I fully get the repugnant reactions to Pinstadium's style of advertisement, they are simply in the wrong in the way they approach it for most. I won't go so far as to down their product as it truly is a personal preference mod in my mind, no different than my preference for 80's pins, you know the ones that make the quirky computer sounds so many abhor on this site, so maybe we just stick to correcting the advertisement problems and leave the rest to each others own fancy as they say.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

This machine like every other machine in the database has this product linked to and the machine doesn't even use electricity as its from 1931.

I had a good chuckle at how matter of fact this statement was, so thanks.

#203 4 years ago

Remember this dude? Didn’t need the Pinstadiums, just headlamps all the way.

I also happen to sell them......Please visit my Pinside Store....$399 including shipping inside Australia.

0023A2F6-CE90-46BC-A9A8-DFFFFE1E6B89 (resized).jpeg0023A2F6-CE90-46BC-A9A8-DFFFFE1E6B89 (resized).jpeg0878AE0B-80B1-482F-8FD5-96BD6A7119E1 (resized).png0878AE0B-80B1-482F-8FD5-96BD6A7119E1 (resized).png294DC6C7-8197-464B-BBA3-1CC287470F3C (resized).png294DC6C7-8197-464B-BBA3-1CC287470F3C (resized).pngFD9B0014-A7A8-4ECA-9983-1C1BE14BFBF8 (resized).jpegFD9B0014-A7A8-4ECA-9983-1C1BE14BFBF8 (resized).jpeg
    #204 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

takes inputs from the game lighting to create responsive lighting.

This isn’t that difficult to do.

I’m not an electrical engineer and figured it out. My light mod takes the colour of the light on the lockdown bar and reproduce the same colour for under cabinet lights.

#205 4 years ago

I guess if your mark up is 75% plus, then you can afford to pay for a ton of ads.

I just don't get why people pay so much money for some led strips that in most cases make games look worse?

Why people, why???

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I guess if your mark up is 75% plus, then you can afford to pay for a ton of ads.
    I just don't get why people pay so much money for some led strips that in most cases make games look worse?
    Why people, why???

The power of Marketing and Advertising. Creating a need where one doesn't exist.

Personally, I use advertising to decide which products to boycott.....

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

This isn’t that difficult to do.
    I’m not an electrical engineer and figured it out. My light mod takes the colour of the light on the lockdown bar and reproduce the same colour for under cabinet lights.

This. It's all been done before. Look at Pinduino and all the projects that spawned. Making add-on lights interact with the game is pretty trivial.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Frankly, I've never really paid any attention to the advertisements in the marketplace. But I do know that this guy is a marketing genius compared to most of the hobby and he's responsive, which is more than I can say for a lot of vendors. I sent out an email a couple months ago on my website to a bunch of vendors, and the only one who responded was Pinstadium. You know why he succeeds? Because he's relentless and driven to succeed. Possibly over the top, but you have to give the guy credit for building a business from scratch and delivering good service to everyone. And I don't even own any of his products, but I've seen him build his business up here.

You can have great responsiveness and not blast the site with ads. It is common sense marketing not geniousness. The problem is we are a small niche market and he vomets all over it. He can dial it back a lot and still be fine.

#209 4 years ago

Nothing has changed yet. How long could it possibly take to deselect the games the product doesn’t not belong to? I’m thinking this will never change.

B89CBD20-2475-45B3-AE55-64E970C6053E (resized).pngB89CBD20-2475-45B3-AE55-64E970C6053E (resized).png
    #210 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

I would love to! Unfortunately some of my products work for your game. Why even list the game on pinside in the first place? Doesn’t make sense especially with the fit you are throwing about mods that work with it.

Sir, your response to someone making a perfectly reasonable request to delink from a singular game of his own fabrication indicates I'll never make a purchase from you regardless of how fine a product you make.

If I built a drag car and someone started advertising "my product works with gdonovans drag car" without so much of a phone call I'd be a bit torqued off.

#211 4 years ago

Pinstadium has ruined my life.

#212 4 years ago

So many people do not like pinstadiums... How the hell did they win the TWIPY's best mod two years in a row?
    What a joke!

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

How long could it possibly take to deselect the games the product doesn’t not belong to?

Sounds like there's a special advertiser interface or feature where he gets to blanket every game in the database without individually selecting them. Makes sense for Pinside to offer such a feature, until you see the result. Wouldn't be surprised if Robin is working on a solution as we speak.

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

So many people do not like pinstadiums... How the hell did they win the TWIPY's best mod two years in a row?
    What a joke!

$$$$$ - dude sponsors everything. He buys them votes.

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

What a joke!

I would assume because lots of people like them

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

What a joke!

Marketing!

Really though, I don't care who owns the product, but the spamming has to stop. I had 1 pair of these on my AFM...they were OK so far as the lighting goes, but a royal pain in the ass every time I wanted to lift the play field. I was always forgetting them and then catching them on the playfield and popping them off. Got to the point I hated their very existence and I got rid of them. Will never have another set of the same.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Sounds like there's a special advertiser interface or feature where he gets to blanket every game in the database without individually selecting them. Makes sense for Pinside to offer such a feature, until you see the result. Wouldn't be surprised if Robin is working on a solution as we speak.

There isn't a feature. You individually have to add every game that you want to link to your product. It's a manual process.

So if someone links 100-200 games to their product, it was done manually. That said, you *can* clone a listing and preserve a list of games in it. But starting from a new listing, you have to link in one game at a time. There's no way to just select entire groups of machines by manufacturer. I suggested that ability when Pinside Shops were first introduced to cut down on the time it took to add games to a product & I think it was acknowledged as a good improvement, but linking games to a product is still a one-at-a-time thing.

This text may have been recently added (when adding/editing an item in the shop):

link_game.jpglink_game.jpg

#218 4 years ago

I would just like to see a user capability to fully block specific advertisers.

I would be happy to be able to completely block pinstadiums and as a Pinside + member if would be a nice feature.
    I tried blocking GAP to see if it would make his game ads go away (I am not his market and he blasts out a ton of stuff I am not interested in), but it does not.

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

You individually have to add every game that you want to link to your product.

YOU do. But has Robin created a special bulk feature for his high-dollar clients?

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

What a joke!

The same way many "awards" are won. $$$ and politics..A joke indeed...Good grief... marketing 101

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Nothing has changed yet. How long could it possibly take to deselect the games the product doesn’t not belong to? I’m thinking this will never change.[quoted image]

Did they finally fix it? Or am I searching wrong? Searched Funhouse in the pinside marketplace and I didn't get any pinstadium.

Annotation 2019-08-06 102418 (resized).pngAnnotation 2019-08-06 102418 (resized).png
    #222 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Did they finally fix it? Or am I searching wrong? Searched Funhouse in the pinside marketplace and I didn't get any pinstadium.[quoted image]

Not fixed, maybe when you searched you didn't select funhouse from the list of games that pops up below when you start typing

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Did they finally fix it? Or am I searching wrong? Searched Funhouse in the pinside marketplace and I didn't get any pinstadium.[quoted image]

Looked up 1960's Williams Ding-Dong, 9 hits all Pinstadium.
    ding dong (resized).jpgding dong (resized).jpg

#224 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Whats your "personalized" list look like?
    1 (resized).PNG1 (resized).PNG
    2 (resized).PNG2 (resized).PNG

#225 4 years ago

Nope....nothing changed. 9/10 now.
    Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

#226 4 years ago

Mine too :-/ I never actually knew there was a section that would pull market ads applicable to all my games. Learned something new today. Too bad all I see on page one is a face full of pinstadium again

2019-08-06_8-34-31 (resized).jpg2019-08-06_8-34-31 (resized).jpg
    #227 4 years ago

When the Marketplace came out, I debated using this tactic to exploit Pinside for LED Bulb Sales.
    I decided it might be good for business, but disrespectful to site, vendors and customers.

Still, I applaud Scotts Business Tenacity.

But I felt that games should be lit to ones taste, eyes, and environment.
    Essentially, more work, using Spots, small Strips back or trough, where needed.

Darker areas are part of the ambiance of a game.

I even spent time with Gary about cutting another groove under the glass cut, to embed 45 degree lighting which
    was in prototype at the time....Long story I cant write too much about at this time.

But I think the bigger issue is My old eyes, and the same for others. Sometimes, there is just too Much Light.
    Other times, My philosophy has been some games are better Incandescent, or mixed.

People asked why I never made Kits, and it was because my taste, might not be yours.

It was impossible to share that to do some games, I would use 8-10 different Bulbs, and an assortment of tricks..sanding sides of bulbs,
    double headed flex bent down to the playfield to bounce light, cutting strips down and rolling them up.

I think that Robin will work this out, and Scott will be fine with his customers....he deserves this for his hard work.
    He has been respectful to the DIY community, and keeps up with new developments.

Perhaps the solution is a check box in the Link to game section, that says "All" but internally this limits it to Random, less frequent exposure,
    as well as a Cap on the number of games a universal product can be linked to.

I wont comment on Pricing, as I am still haunted occasionally by the aggravated emails over Pennies a bulb from people.

#228 4 years ago

I haven't noticed the ads since I'm not a frequent visitor to the marketplace. But what irks me is the weird "robot mascot" and odd graphics used in the marketing. I feel like I have zero clue what each product is supposed to do when looking at the overly complex graphics in the product description.

59901481_721667371623483_4566175663978201082_n (resized).jpg59901481_721667371623483_4566175663978201082_n (resized).jpg64236108_455535338555111_5873344056238751044_n (resized).jpg64236108_455535338555111_5873344056238751044_n (resized).jpg64923380_379741909341877_2802484437299197238_n (resized).jpg64923380_379741909341877_2802484437299197238_n (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpgspecial_access_code (resized).pngspecial_access_code (resized).png
    #229 4 years ago

So pinstadium ads are everywhere, like Wisconsin Pinsider forum comments?

Couldn't resist.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Scotts Business Tenacity

What an interesting alternate term for douchebaggery.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Nothing has changed yet. How long could it possibly take to deselect the games the product doesn’t not belong to? I’m thinking this will never change.

Why not give it 48 hours before making a final judgment?

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I haven't noticed the ads since I'm not a frequent visitor to the marketplace. But what irks me is the weird "robot mascot" and odd graphics used in the marketing. I feel like I have zero clue what each product is supposed to do when looking at the overly complex graphics in the product description.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Agreed. I have no idea wtf I'm looking at in those ads, so I've never even bothered to look into it.

#233 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I haven't noticed the ads since I'm not a frequent visitor to the marketplace. But what irks me is the weird "robot mascot" and odd graphics used in the marketing. I feel like I have zero clue what each product is supposed to do when looking at the overly complex graphics in the product description.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Me too, but feel the pain of folks that do frequent the marketplace. Totally agree that all the weird images do little to help his cause. Just seems like the guy enjoys fiddling with this stuff. From my perspective, “less is more”.

There is a “thread” on Pinside dedicated to Scott’s customers/followers and his overzealous marketing is in full swing there as well. To be honest, the marketing to his fans has been a big turnoff. Scott is a great guy and does a great job supporting his customers. I just think he needs to “dial down” the marketing.

#234 4 years ago

I was just typing funhouse and hitting enter, didn't select the game, that is where I went wrong.

#235 4 years ago
    718B2472-0FA4-4B62-8B20-6507D2F32F75-1928-000003111B23E915 (resized).jpeg718B2472-0FA4-4B62-8B20-6507D2F32F75-1928-000003111B23E915 (resized).jpeg
    #236 4 years ago

I was thinking of getting a 1931 Baffle Ball, but the question kept coming to mind... Will the Pinstadium Lights for Spooky games work with this or not, because that's a major factor in my purchase. Thankfully I'm covered.

Baffle Ball (resized).JPGBaffle Ball (resized).JPG

#237 4 years ago

I didn't realize that you could link ads to a game. As it turns out, one of my games, the Multi-Bingo, works well with two different types of pinstadium lights!

Well, as I'm constantly losing track of the ball with only 8 GI lights (how could anyone manage!?!), I'm sure that I invited him over to my house and had him wire up a few sets of them on the one game that exists in the world and completely forgot that it happened after the lengthy approval process.

In fact, I'm super curious how they might be compatible! He must've done some pretty extensive testing - I have no idea how those things hook up, have never played a game with them on (bingo or otherwise), and don't really care to know. It's not a product for me. The designer and manufacturer lit the games as was appropriate and I don't really care to muck with that.

Now, for the game I designed... perhaps he made his own copy! Cool! A second Multi-Bingo must exist in his workshop somewhere. Good for him, as there are lots of folks looking for one. I'll have to ask what he thinks of the game with all the purple light all over the playfield. Probably makes it really easy to see the ball and appreciate the artwork...

-sigh-

Thanks Robin for looking into this.

#238 4 years ago

I think I'm going to invent solar powered pinball lights that are compatible with every machine ever made.
    I'll get right on the after I get the patent filled on my waterproof mop.

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I haven't noticed the ads since I'm not a frequent visitor to the marketplace. But what irks me is the weird "robot mascot" and odd graphics used in the marketing. I feel like I have zero clue what each product is supposed to do when looking at the overly complex graphics in the product description.

Uh... It couldn't be any more obvious what each product does.

FUSION - fuses your robot helmet horns to your robot chest.

HOVER - allows you to use your flying saucer as a DJ table.

#240 4 years ago

I never realized my own design was compatible with them too!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/undertale-pinball-edition

I wonder how they hook up? There are no standard system plugs anywhere on the game, so my guess is it has a dedicated power supply that you plug into the duplex outlet inside the cabinet. You'll have to pull out one of the existing plugs, so you can take your pick on what feature to disable - the playfield voltages, or the computer!

Edit: I also applaud them for their understanding of UT's electronics. I was pretty sure I built a playfield controller that takes direct inspiration from the System 11 boardset, but I see that they recommend the Stern version. I guess I was wrong!

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

What’s more polarizing here on pinside?
    Kaneda or pinstadium?

Either way, polarizing is keeping this thread at the top of the forum as though it's a sponsored/sticky thread. THAT's marketing People are talking and those truly interested will buy.

#243 4 years ago

I looked up the MarketPlace ads for my collection page and this is what I got (and I don't even own a Wonka):
    Wow.
    Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#244 4 years ago
    pinside.com#?#DIV.pinsidegrid-item-shopitem:-abp-has(A[href*="1105-"])

...works in uBlock Origin and I presume Adblock to nuke the ads completely, leaving the others intact.

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I was thinking of getting a 1931 Baffle Ball, but the question kept coming to mind... Will the Pinstadium Lights for Spooky games work with this or not, because that's a major factor in my purchase. Thankfully I'm covered.
    [quoted image]

Come on man. Pinstadiums would be wholly inappropriate for this game. A tasteful mod like this is all you need:

RoidsRoids

Maybe a cool topper too:

This Buds for YouThis Buds for You

#246 4 years ago

I'd be willing to see if Pinstadiums and other products work with my Spaceballs machine, but you gotta send me a bunch of free shit.

#247 4 years ago

One more person unlocks “Angry Mob” wizard mode!

0D949ADA-0C3D-4A46-9BA9-907BF362D70B (resized).jpeg0D949ADA-0C3D-4A46-9BA9-907BF362D70B (resized).jpeg
    #248 4 years ago
    IMG_7043 (resized).PNGIMG_7043 (resized).PNG
    #249 4 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

One more person unlocks “Angry Mob” wizard mode![quoted image]

Pretty amazing 140 people on Pinside can agree on anything.

#250 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Pretty amazing 140 people on Pinside can agree on anything.

You mean 150

Screenshot_20190806-102339_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190806-102339_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    There are 527 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-pinstadium-get-to-flood-all-market-pages-/page/5?hl=parzival and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.