(Topic ID: 26024)

Why does pinball seem go hand in hand with nerdy pursuits?

By flipperfingers

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by joestro78
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fury.jpg
    blackout.jpg
    09-Dodge-Chall-RT.JPG
    nerds[1].jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 11 years ago

"Nerds". "Geeks". Whatever you want to call them. They all have one common denominator. It's that they are drawn to things that most people would not consider mainstream. Pinball used to be mainstream, but that's certainly not the case these days. Growing up, I always felt like I sort of straddled the line between being a nerd and being like everyone else. I was a very good athlete, but I was also into some nerdy things like sci-fi, laserdiscs, Dark Tower, etc ... I've met a lot of people in my life, and in my experience, the ones that society labels "nerds" are not only the nicest, but usually the happiest as well.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Was this troll post intentional?

Which post are you referring to? The OP's original post?

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

Technical skills mean you have a lower cost of entry into the hobby, which means you will have more technical people in the hobby.

True, but not all nerds are tech savvy. Case in point ... me.

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

Since this is a forum with open discussion, just what exactly constitutes a "troll post"?

I don't consider this thread trolling. In fact, I think it was a legitimate question that sparked some interesting dialogue.

Quoted from system11:

If you don't know that 'nerdy' is a derisory judgmental term you'll never understood what he meant.

It's not judgmental when you are using the term as a form of self deprecation. I think most of us in this hobby can agree that we posses certain "nerdish" qualities.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-pinball-seem-go-hand-in-hand-with-nerdy-pursuits?tu=gweempose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.