(Topic ID: 79581)

Why does pinball need outlanes??

By CraZ4Pin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-24.jpg
    helen-lovejoy.jpg
    HeHatesTheseOutlanes.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevep3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm not saying there is no skill in pinball ... I'm simply saying outlanes in general introduce randomness and detract from it being even more of a skill game. Yes, there are strategies to make shots that keep the ball away from the outlanes, and yes, certainly you can "nudge" a game ... but why do we need them at all?? I think it would be cool to see a game where more focus was put on the player to consistently make ever increasing difficult shots.
    For example .. AFM ... what if you had to destory the ship WITHOUT hitting either of the alien targets on both sides of the entrance to the ship? It would be interesting if there were more rules like "hit those aliens 2 or 3 times and you die ... ball drains". Rules like this put more emphasis on the player making accurate shots versus randomly getting rewarded for every target the ball flies around and hits. Additionally, it allows us to eliminate outlanes and remove a very random element to the game.
    I also think this would provide a way to start the game easy and quickly make it harder and harder (kind of like how a Pac Man speeds up as you get to each next level). I think this style of play would go over much better in an arcade or on location.

Wow, this idea didn't even make it from the mixing bowl to the oven to get half-baked.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevep3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-pinball-need-outlanes?tu=stevep3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.