New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 79581)

Why does pinball need outlanes??

By CraZ4Pin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinballManiac40
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image-24.jpg
    helen-lovejoy.jpg
    HeHatesTheseOutlanes.jpg

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Just thinking out loud here ... do any modern games NOT have outlanes?? Outlanes seem to naturally introduce randomness into pinball and detract from the skill needed to be a good player. Why don't the game rules simply dictate when the player loses a ball or turn (or "life" in traditional video games). Either complete a mode in a certain amount of time ... or make certain shots in a certain order (or even avoid hitting certain targets) or your turn ends (the flippers die and the ball drains down the middle). It would certainly help eliminate the perception that pinball is very random and skill only gets you so far. I'd like to see a game like this to try it ... someone start thinking out of the box.

#2 6 years ago

I know they've played around with that idea before. Going Nuts by Gottlieb featured timed play. By skillful play you could extend it but ultimately you'd lose flipper control if you didn't do well enough.

I don't think it worked out because pinball is more about the skill of keeping the ball in play first and being successful at table goals second, not the other way around.

#3 6 years ago

My Bugs Bunny Pinball only has one outlane ,on the left side.

#4 6 years ago

Well you're implying that skill is out of the equation.
    It does add some randomness, but for sure good ball control and well timed nudging can really help out to keep it from draining. As frustrating as they can be, I think the outlanes are almost as much part of the game as the flippers themselves.

#5 6 years ago

Capcom flipper football has no out lanes but arguably also not a pinball. The skill is in making the shot so you don't put yourself into a situation where you are at the mercy of an out lane. If all else fails nudge.

Whose perception are you concerned with?

#6 6 years ago

Pinball Arcade has Going Nuts available in season two if you want to check it out

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

Well you're implying that skill is out of the equation.
    It does add some randomness, but for sure good ball control and well timed nudging can really help out to keep it from draining. As frustrating as they can be, I think the outlanes are almost as much part of the game as the flippers themselves.

I'm not saying there is no skill in pinball ... I'm simply saying outlanes in general introduce randomness and detract from it being even more of a skill game. Yes, there are strategies to make shots that keep the ball away from the outlanes, and yes, certainly you can "nudge" a game ... but why do we need them at all?? I think it would be cool to see a game where more focus was put on the player to consistently make ever increasing difficult shots.

For example .. AFM ... what if you had to destory the ship WITHOUT hitting either of the alien targets on both sides of the entrance to the ship? It would be interesting if there were more rules like "hit those aliens 2 or 3 times and you die ... ball drains". Rules like this put more emphasis on the player making accurate shots versus randomly getting rewarded for every target the ball flies around and hits. Additionally, it allows us to eliminate outlanes and remove a very random element to the game.

I also think this would provide a way to start the game easy and quickly make it harder and harder (kind of like how a Pac Man speeds up as you get to each next level). I think this style of play would go over much better in an arcade or on location.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

My Deadly Weapon only has one on the left as well. And it's blocked by a pop bumper. And it has a kickback. Another crazy John Trudeau design. I like it.

I like outlanes actually, but I also like the randomness of old-school pinball. I don't think they detract from improving ones skills at all, if anything they sharpen them.

It would be cool to see some different ways to lose like you mentioned, though. Maybe something where the outlanes were closed off for a set amount of time while you had to make very specific shots/combos. Or a multiball where you needed to hit two targets at the same time to "unlock" the mode you're in.

#9 6 years ago

It's like having hockey/soccer without offsides. The gameplay will be too easy, therefore, making it non-challenging and boring. I do like your thought process of changing common pin play. Maybe if you hit targets in the wrong order, you lose points instead of getting points.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

what if you had to destory the ship WITHOUT hitting either of the alien targets on both sides of the entrance to the ship? It would be interesting if there were more rules like "hit those aliens 2 or 3 times and you die ... ball drains". Rules like this put more emphasis on the player making accurate shots versus randomly getting rewarded for every target the ball flies around and hits.

Love the idea of certain targets you need to consciously avoid. Offhand, I can't think of an example where that has ever been implemented.

#11 6 years ago

I like the idea of gobble holes.
    a strategically placed gobble hole in place of one of the outlanes would mix the playfield up quite a bit.
    put it right next to an important, necessary shot. you miss - you lose.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Ain't they a stinker?

#13 6 years ago

Yeah they are stinkers, i really like Bugs. The call outs are great and then the end surprize package is unique.

#14 6 years ago

I really wish STTNG didn't have outlanes. The amount of profanity those things cause is completely uncalled for.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Why don't the game rules simply dictate when the player loses a ball or turn (or "life" in traditional video games). Either complete a mode in a certain amount of time ... or make certain shots in a certain order (or even avoid hitting certain targets) or your turn ends (the flippers die and the ball drains down the middle).

You should play Operation Thunder. has modes like you described.

#16 6 years ago

Every timed game ever made was a commercial failure. And that is pretty much what you appear to be asking for?

The two lane outlane evolved out of many different designs. Based on a distributor that purchased a lot of games and demanded it on all future games it became known as the "Italian Bottom". At that time, it probably offered the best mix of "luck" and Nudging skill to change where the ball might end up. If you are into EM games, you no doubt have seen all sorts of variations on bottom arrangements. And there is good reason why, for the most part, modern day designs still utilize this arrangement.

But obviously, some people like variations on the norm (not everyone likes Chocolate or Vanilla Ice Cream or Pepperoni Pizza but those sell more than any others).

Perhaps with the target market no longer being for the masses, you have a valid suggestion for the new designers.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

Love the idea of certain targets you need to consciously avoid. Offhand, I can't think of an example where that has ever been implemented.

It's done, but the game doesn't punish you by draining. There are countless games where hitting targets in order is significantly more lucrative than randomly bashing away at things. See Centaur for a great example.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

The two lane outlane evolved out of many different designs. Based on a distributor that purchased a lot of games and demanded it on all future games it became known as the "Italian Bottom". At that time, it probably offered the best mix of "luck" and Nudging skill to change where the ball might end up. If you are into EM games, you no doubt have seen all sorts of variations on bottom arrangements. And there is good reason why, for the most part, modern day designs still utilize this arrangement.

100% correct imo

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

It's done, but the game doesn't punish you by draining. There are countless games where hitting targets in order is significantly more lucrative than randomly bashing away at things. See Centaur for a great example.

OR the home game roms for Centaur and EBD (which are great enhancements to already great games). Alien Poker was another good example. Been a long time since I played but I think Laser Cue also had in sequence DT rules.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Every timed game ever made was a commercial failure. And that is pretty much what you appear to be asking for?

No ... not at all (although time could be a factor to a certain rule). In my AFM example up above ... if you hit the alien targets to the right and left of the mother ship more than 4 or 5 times you "die" ... ball drains down the middle. Subsequent attacks on the mother ship might reduce that number to 1 or 2 (thus, increasing the difficulty as the game goes on.) I can think of dozens of unique rules that could end your turn/ball versus playing until the ball drains out an outlane.

I still hear people say all the time that pinball seems very random. They see that skill can help you but they still believe it is mostly luck/random. When ever there is a TV interview with someone in pinball inevitably the host will ask "so there is some skill in this then?" and the pinhead will have to defend/explain yes. I'm thinking of new ways to reduce the perception that there is a lot of randomness in pinball and increase the skills needed to be a great player.

#21 6 years ago

Dude afm is a great game, but just watch papa games without outlanes you watch games that last 4 hours instead of 15 min

#22 6 years ago

I like the kickbacks that can be lit back up.
    When you lose your kickback, your next task is to try and get it back, unless you think you have something more important to shoot for right now... adds a strategy element.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm simply saying outlanes in general introduce randomness and detract from it being even more of a skill game.

I very much disagree that outlanes detract from skill. On the contrary - they *promote* a skill. 'Keeping the ball out of the outlane' is a skill. Players who are good at keeping the ball out of the outlane tend to play longer than players who aren't.

#24 6 years ago

Fireball Frenzy in WOZ. Hitting three fire shots ends the mode. Hitting the blue brings jackpots.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm not saying there is no skill in pinball ... I'm simply saying outlanes in general introduce randomness and detract from it being even more of a skill game.

Outlane induced "randomness" makes skill even more important in pinball. More ways for the ball to be lost if you don't have the skill to avoid those areas that are designed to end your ball and get you to feed it more money.

#26 6 years ago

Its a sorry excuse for the jackasses who have WOZ on location to keep the game scoring low, piss off customers and take longer to pay off their games.

#27 6 years ago

It would be cool to see some different ways to lose like you mentioned, though. Maybe something where the outlanes were closed off for a set amount of time while you had to make very specific shots/combos. Or a multiball where you needed to hit two targets at the same time to "unlock" the mode you're in.

In Spy hunter the 2 Outlanes are both on the left, which in itself is odd. But your initial plunger shot is actually a timed skillshot that if you hit right awards 50k and opens up a "save" for one of the Outlanes that goes away after a single use. So you can reduce your Outlanes by 50% if you start the ball right.

#28 6 years ago

Gold Wings is a game with no outlanes. I play forever on that thing. Which is why I loved it as a kid. My $1 lasted an hour as opposed to 10 minutes on Pinbot.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I like the kickbacks that can be lit back up.
    When you lose your kickback, your next task is to try and get it back, unless you think you have something more important to shoot for right now... adds a strategy element.

Damn straight. Generally speaking my Getaway only has one outlane because I keep the other one lit. Part of the strategy. Although I have to say that it's MUCH harder (and dangerous) to accomplish the same thing on STTNG!

Pinball is just like poker. It's a skill game......with a fair amount of luck sprinkled in. A pure novice has a chance to beat me on any given game......but over the long hull they've go no chance.

#30 6 years ago

My Deadly Weapon only has one on the left as well

Quoted from pinbum:

Quoted from SealClubber:

Gold Wings is a game with no outlanes.

All John Trudeau.

HE HATES THESE OUTLANES!!
    HeHatesTheseOutlanes.jpg

#31 6 years ago

Good nudging skills drastically reduce the randomness of side drains. Watch some Bowen vids on known drainers and watch how he plays them. Then you will understand why they are needed.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Good nudging skills drastically reduce the randomness of side drains. Watch some Bowen vids on known drainers and watch how he plays them. Then you will understand why they are needed.

Just another related pet peeve ... nudging. Shouldn't be needed. A little boy should be able to play the game just as easily as a 6 ft. 200 lb. muscular guy can. If you eliminate the outlanes and make the rules themselves the determining factor when your ball ends then you eliminate the need to nudge. Additionally, with no nudging, you eliminate the tilt mechanism altogether and now have a more consistent game from one location to the next. I hate walking into 1 location where you can practically slide the game around the floor and another where if you sneeze you get a tilt warning. Get rid of it.

I know all the pinball purists are out there screaming they love outlanes and nudging and pinball just the way it is. But if pinball never evolved it would not be anything like it is today (no flippers, no pop bumpers, etc. etc). Pinball is due for some new thinking out of the box.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I know all the pinball purists are out there screaming they love outlanes and nudging and pinball just the way it is. But if pinball never evolved it would not be anything like it is today (no flippers, no pop bumpers, etc. etc). Pinball is due for some new thinking out of the box.

Ok, ban vote ^^^^^^^ Get him outta here

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Ok, ban vote here ^^^^^^^ Get him outta here

lol. Come on now ....

#35 6 years ago

In the Bible Adventures pinball we were designing, in Adam & Eve mode you have to avoid the Apple target for as long as possible, DURING a multiball!

Hitting it ends the mode, natch.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

In the Bible Adventures pinball we were designing, in Adam & Eve mode you have to avoid the Apple target for as long as possible, DURING a multiball!
    Hitting it ends the mode, natch.

I like your thinking! Now we just need a manufacturer willing to do more of it ... more game rules that end your turn instead of outlanes (or at least more rules that include penalties for hitting certain targets at certain times). I'm on a mission against outlanes now, lol.

#37 6 years ago

Most beginners seem to drain between the flippers anyway. If you made it into complete the mode or drain, the beginners would really be up the creek.

That said the outlanes are there so that even the best "eventually" drain. It is a money making machine after all.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Ain't they a stinker?

I see what you did there, wabbit.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Just another related pet peeve ... nudging. Shouldn't be needed. A little boy should be able to play the game just as easily as a 6 ft. 200 lb. muscular guy can. If you eliminate the outlanes and make the rules themselves the determining factor when your ball ends then you eliminate the need to nudge. Additionally, with no nudging, you eliminate the tilt mechanism altogether and now have a more consistent game from one location to the next. I hate walking into 1 location where you can practically slide the game around the floor and another where if you sneeze you get a tilt warning. Get rid of it.

So I don't think defending that pinball isn't all luck to a guy that doesn't understand this point is a goal of pinball design. Nor should it be.

Outlanes reduce the ball time. They also enforce a decent play strategy that avoids slingshots and general left to right movement. Nudging is part of the game. If you want to take away outlanes, nudging, and have goals on a timer then maybe you should buy a video game console.

If anyone thinks the game is all luck and no skill then we should be able to play against each other for money giving them odds in their favor

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Outlanes reduce the ball time. They also enforce a decent play strategy that avoids slingshots and general left to right movement. Nudging is part of the game.

1) Rules can be put in place to do the exact same thing! (Reduce ball time.) Just as Pac Man gets faster and faster each level, a pin can have similar rules as you progress through levels. Less time to complete a sequence of shots ... targets that, if hit a certain number of times end your ball (and that number of hits can decrease to just 1 so that as you get further in the game it gets more and more difficult, you can't make a mistake.)
    2) I'm suggesting there is a better game strategy to be focusing on other then avoiding certain areas of the playfield. The player should be more engrossed in the theme and rules of that particular theme that end a given turn/ball.
    3) I already made the argument in a previous post for why nudging should not be part of the game.

For those still not getting what I'm saying ... picture Stern's latest ST not having outlanes. You're battling the Vengence. 2 targets on either side of the Vengence (like AFM). You hit those targets 4 times (maybe each time you hit those by accident there's a callout "We've been hit!!") and then you're "dead", turn ends ... the flippers stop and the ball drains down the middle. Hit the Vengence enough times by avoiding those side targets and you reach the next "level". Second level, you hit those targets just 2 times and you're "dead" ball drains (difficulty increases). You could have shots where the lane to a target gets smaller and smaller with moving posts as the game progresses as well (thus making it more difficult.) Or get into a certain mode and either complete the shot sequence in time or you're "dead", ball drains. There are countless rules you could write to both limit the game time (by increasing difficulty at a certain pace) and keep the players attention on completing tasks rather then on just keeping the ball in play.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

As someone who (until 6 months ago) thought pinball was too random - it was learning about nudging (which I previously thought was illegal) that made me understand the skill involved. And outlanes, those were too random also. Oh wait...if you have better shot accuracy and know how to nudge, you can severely limit the number of outlane drains?

Take all that away, and suddenly less skill is involved.

So even though I wholeheartedly disagree that nudging, outlanes, and tilt make for a less skillful game - it might still be a good idea to try something new. But your suggestions would only appeal to total newbies - not people who already know how to play pinball as it stands today.

#42 6 years ago

Some mechanisms in a pin try to force a drain. Other mechanisms try to help score points. Some accomplish both.

1. Slings' main purpose is to take ball control away from the flippers, and drive the ball to the OUTSIDE of the playfield (laterally). Slings also add excitement by randomizing ball movement.
    2. Occasionally, this random ball movement works in your favor, when they help you make a tough shot or score a point.
    3. Once the ball is driven to the outside of the playfield, you need some sort of playfield design to allow for a drain -- thus we find outlanes in most pins.
    4. There is player skill that can often interrupt this outlane drain (nudging)

Does that help?
    -mof

#43 6 years ago

Pins were (and still are) designed and sold for the most part to operators. Please see any speech Gary Stern has made in the last five years for confirmation of this. We as collectors are still not the main focus or target audience when Stern designs a machine. Go back and this is especially true when it comes to any game made in the 90's all the way back to the bagatelle. Wiliams and Bally never thought these would be in homes for the most part. Operators were and still are the number one target.

What does an operator want their pin to do? Make money, bottom line. It was the designers goal to make a game that was fun, satisfying, and gave you just enough fun for your $$$ money so that after you drained you would put another quarter in it. If back in the 70's and 80's the average person was able to play a pinball machine for twenty minutes instead of three minutes or less there would have been far less money going to the operators and I don't think pinball would have been around for very long at all.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

You hit those targets 4 times (maybe each time you hit those by accident there's a callout "We've been hit!!") and then you're "dead", turn ends ... the flippers stop and the ball drains down the middle.

I think this sounds cool.

But flubbing on ball control, hitting the slingshot, and having the ball bounce into the "bad" target is no different than an outlane drain. Actually, that's not true - with an outlane drain, you often have a chance at preventing it with good nudging skills.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

As someone who (until 6 months ago) thought pinball was too random - it was learning about nudging (which I previously thought was illegal) that made me understand the skill involved. And outlanes, those were too random also. Oh wait...if you have better shot accuracy and know how to nudge, you can severely limit the number of outlane drains?
    Take all that away, and suddenly less skill is involved.
    So even though I wholeheartedly disagree that nudging, outlanes, and tilt make for a less skillful game - it might still be a good idea to try something new. But your suggestions would only appeal to total newbies - not people who already know how to play pinball as it stands today.

So did nobody enjoy pinball before flippers were introduced? Did nobody enjoy it before pop bumpers? The game has evovled significantly over the years to appeal to a wider and wider audience. While manufacturers have found new ways to "dress games up" (LED's, LCD, etc.) the game itself hasn't changed in a long time. Who says every pinball game has to have outlanes??

While nudging has come to be regarded as acceptable I don't think it was ever intended to be part of the game. The tilt mechanism itself had to be invented to keep people from knocking the hell out of a game. But the tilt mechanism was just a band-aid for what the real problem was ... why were people nudging to begin with?? Outlanes.

nudging is very easy for larger/stronger folks ... unfortunately young kids don't have quite that strength and thus, don't get to play the game like we think it is meant to be played. That's a shame.

#46 6 years ago

Is it a function of common design or common understanding?

I think the "rule" of draining down an outlane or the gap between the flippers is very easy to understand for even a casual player. I have to explain a lot of rules to first-time players, but they all understand that the ball is over once it drains. Maybe that's why outlanes are used again and again?

#47 6 years ago

#48 6 years ago

And as far at the tilt is concerned, this is for the operators too. I think it had much more to do with some dum dum lifting your game out on location trying to save his ball and then letting it slam back down onto the ground shattering the glass and less to do with nudging. You can always disable it in your home.

Hell while you are at it, just put some rubber bands across your outlanes while you are at it, I have seen that before, don't come on here bragging about your grand champion score though.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

And as far at the tilt is concerned, this is for the operators too. I think it had much more to do with some dum dum lifting your game out on location trying to save his ball and then letting it slam back down onto the ground shattering the glass and less to do with nudging. You can always disable it in your home.
    Hell while you are at it, just put some rubber bands across your outlanes while you are at it, I have seen that before, don't come on here bragging about your grand champion score though.

Yep, 3 of 4 tilt mechanisms are not ones you'd engage by nudging. They are anti-theft / anti-cheating.

1. kick coin door
    2. drop the game
    3. lift the game

-mof

#50 6 years ago

I'm not sure what the overall mechanism is called, but there are games like Special Force where balls that drain down the out-lane can bounce into the in-lane by hitting a post and going through a one way gate. Most times the ball does bounce into the in-lane. As I'm currently a pretty bad player, I especially love this feature. It's hard going from playing Special Force to one of my other games when I get used to not worrying about out-lanes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,999.00
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 4,199.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside