(Topic ID: 223114)

Why does pinball have to be turn-based?

By ichigokurosaki91

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
    IMG_3243 (resized).PNG
    wwww (resized).jpg
    B892BA93-DA9C-45EB-9E0D-B9E8197B0095 (resized).jpeg
    CDB89697-E3EE-4A06-B4F7-DD598AD8216E (resized).jpeg

#1 5 years ago

I don't get why player's opponents have to wait for turn while the current player is playing.

#2 5 years ago

There have been several attempts at simultaneous play, both head-to-head and side-by-side, but none really caught on with the players. There are several threads here about both mass-produced and homebrew games with simultaneous play.
    .................David Marston

#3 5 years ago

Would have been cool to have a side by side game like this prototype. You could have competed together

CDB89697-E3EE-4A06-B4F7-DD598AD8216E (resized).jpegCDB89697-E3EE-4A06-B4F7-DD598AD8216E (resized).jpeg
    #4 5 years ago

Joust is pretty good for simultaneous play

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Would have been cool to have a side by side game like this prototype. You could have competed together
    [quoted image]

Man talk about a missed opportunity. I can see the tagline on the flyer now: "Pinball that will make you wish you had three hands!"

#6 5 years ago

My son and I played a hockey or soccer-themed head-to -head game at the Asheville pinball museum that was REALLY fun. It was an EM, and a little slow but really kept our attention for 5 or 6 games.

#7 5 years ago
    B892BA93-DA9C-45EB-9E0D-B9E8197B0095 (resized).jpegB892BA93-DA9C-45EB-9E0D-B9E8197B0095 (resized).jpeg
    #8 5 years ago

You may not completely understand the relevance of your question.

I do think that it makes more sense to have two games simultaneous started by a group of two or more players. That would potentially allow twice as much pinball to be played in the same amount of free time.

Beyond that... pinball is "turn-based" because pinball is "ball-based". Each ball is 1 turn.

If you design a different type of game that is not "ball based" then it may not be pinball.

Regarding simultaneous play...
    How do you handle tilt warnings and who is penalized if you tilt? Do you design individual player tilts?

#9 5 years ago

I guess the only thing similar to what you want is linked NBA fast break two people can play both game four quarters after playing each quarter who ever has the most points win.

#10 5 years ago

With this boom is Pinball lately. This subject becomes very valid.

It would be "VERY" easy to create "Networks of machines" in which players could compete against one another"

That said the only limitation is companies that do not provide "Third Party" SDK's for extending the machines.

If Stern provided an SDK and some kind of port of entry. I could see multi-player pinball happen.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

With this boom is Pinball lately. This subject becomes very valid.
    It would be "VERY" easy to create "Networks of machines" in which players could compete against one another"
    That said the only limitation is companies that do not provide "Third Party" SDK's for extending the machines.
    If Stern provided an SDK and some kind of port of entry. I could see multi-player pinball happen.

The issue with this is that every game plays differently...it would be a nightmare on location to have every game working 100%, level etc. It reminds me of the old Nintendo days when people would fight over the "good" controller. Its a cool idea and could work well in a home environment. Virtual Pinball would be perfect for head to head.

#12 5 years ago

Why does it have to be ball-based for that matter?

Time to innovate!!!

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why does it have to be ball-based for that matter?

pinBALL

I'm not sure why either.

#14 5 years ago

Stern isn't gonna do something here because they're so risk-averse, but I think there's a lot of room in the market for an innovative multi-player game, especially for FECs and larger barcades. Could games be linked like NBAFB, but over wifi or bluetooth, without cables?

#15 5 years ago

Multimorphic could create a game where shots from a particular flipper score points for a specific player since their machines can track the ball. That would allow multiple players to play at the same time and still compete against one another.

#16 5 years ago

regular pac man...boring. 4 player pac man...fun.

There may be a way to do multi player pins but I think it would be completely different than what we have now. Would really take some innovation.

Excited to get my TNA for co-op mode.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from ichigokurosaki91:

I don't get why player's opponents have to wait for turn while the current player is playing.

Because every attempt at doing it differently has been an expensive failure, over the course of about 50 years.

Pinball does not thrive on innovation and outside the box thinking - it thrives when it gives players what they want and expect.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because every attempt at doing it differently has been an expensive failure, over the course of about 50 years.
    Pinball does not thrive on innovation and outside the box thinking - it thrives when it gives players what they want and expect.

This.

Anyone really sat down and played joust? How about the alvin g head to heads? Sure, they bring good money, but while I can get an alvin g soccer locally right now its a turd. A 3k+ turd of a game that not even someone who will own every other alvin g can bother to pay.

#19 5 years ago

Every time I've played head to head NBAFBs it's been a blast. I don't see why that can't happen again. Seems like a good incentive to get big locations to buy 2 of a game and single games work fine on their own.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A multi-game platform with a public SDK allows one machine to deliver traditional games and any number of other ideas. It also reduces the risks associated with R&D for outside-the-box implementations, as you'd just be risking software dev time rather than mechanical design and manufacturing.

- Gerry
    https://www.multimorphic.com

#21 5 years ago

I'd love to get a hold of a Joust, but the damn things are crazy expensive.

#22 5 years ago

The original prototype of Bally's City Slicker had a couple of downward- facing flippers controlled by a button tethered to the cabinet. The idea was that your opponent could actively disrupt your ball while you were playing and vice versa.

#23 5 years ago

Pinball is kind of like golf; it's you versus the course/machine.

#24 5 years ago

Would be cool to have networked machines that lets you affect your opponents game.

For example get the right combo of shots and you freeze their left flipper for 5 seconds. You drain a ball, opponent starts a multi ball. Single jackpot that builds until the first person can get it but both players simultaneously build it. How long do you let it build up until you go for the jackpot.

Would be pretty cool. And would probably even work with many games already out there. Just tweak the code.

#25 5 years ago

I can't wait until there are enough P3s in the wild to race against 3 other opponents in Cosmic Cart Racing.

#26 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure Stern Pinball any day would make a super limited edition head-to-head pinball machine so that Vegas Pinball Hall Of Fame can get one.

#27 5 years ago

Didnt pinball 2000 had network play?

#28 5 years ago

The reason a player has to wait is today's games are so damn easy that ball times just seem to go on forever and ever.

That's one of the reason's competitive pinball using modern games is not fun and not really that competitive. I honestly don't know why people even bother unless they really need the prize money that bad.

#29 5 years ago

And also, I don't get why pinball never changed as it should be.

#30 5 years ago

Just buy one of these.

wwww (resized).jpgwwww (resized).jpg
    #31 5 years ago

I don't get why pinball never changed as it should be.

During and after the pinball slump of the early 2000s, it was not in the cards for change as pinball was hanging by a thread anyway.

Since then it has to do with the advent of the home collector, and pinball disappearing from location play where a younger, more hip crowd would gather.

So to appeal to these older collectors who are pretty much set in their ways, pinball companies developed a business plan that would appeal to them and help drain their bank accounts the same time. And it's been working real well for the last 5 years.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Just buy one of these.
    [quoted image]

Why a foosball table?

#33 5 years ago

And also, I don't get why pinball never changed as it should be.

I know right? Like why did they stop putting toilets in games? Why don’t games dispense donut holes when you make your shot? And why are they way up on legs?

#34 5 years ago

>Didnt pinball 2000 had network play?

When Pinball 2000 was shown at Pinball Expo 1999, the development team surprised everyone with a demonstration of network interconnections for all the games, plus ID cards for every player. However, those features were only used to provide networked score reporting: top-scorer tables were instantly updated, and distributed across the network to be displayed on every RFM game, whenever any player completed a game on any of the RFM machines. Player pictures could be displayed, too, because the team took your picture when they made your player ID card.
    .................David Marston

#35 5 years ago

Why a foosball table?

IMG_3243 (resized).PNGIMG_3243 (resized).PNG
    #36 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

This.
    Anyone really sat down and played joust? How about the alvin g head to heads? Sure, they bring good money, but while I can get an alvin g soccer locally right now its a turd. A 3k+ turd of a game that not even someone who will own every other alvin g can bother to pay.

Buddy has a joust. 1 player blows, but 2 players is fun as hell.

#37 5 years ago

Because there's only room for one at the end of a pin

#38 5 years ago

Why can't two players play pinball at the same time? That's my question.

#39 5 years ago

I'm envisioning something like this for non turn-based pinball:

#40 5 years ago

You can. One person uses the left flipper and the other uses the right flipper.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

You can. One person uses the left flipper and the other uses the right flipper.

Dammit! You beat me to it! My cousin and I would do this when playing Central Park at my grandparents house nearly 20 years ago.

Also Crazy Levi

"Pinball does not thrive on innovation and outside the box thinking - it thrives when it gives players what they want and expect."

I guess you are right, most want same ole same ole but it is getting old. I expect it from a particular manufacturer, and am honestly am surprised that 4 flippers were okayed on a recent machine (as it had to add to the BOM). Give me some cool toys. . .Rudy, BoP head, TZ playfield, T-rex, sinking Interceptor. The wash rinse repeat is getting mundane . . . innovation is out.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

Would be cool to have networked machines that lets you affect your opponents game.
    For example get the right combo of shots and you freeze their left flipper for 5 seconds. You drain a ball, opponent starts a multi ball. Single jackpot that builds until the first person can get it but both players simultaneously build it. How long do you let it build up until you go for the jackpot.
    Would be pretty cool. And would probably even work with many games already out there. Just tweak the code.

Multimorphic is doing precisely that sort of thing with Cosmic Cart Racing on the P3. The upcoming Head-to-Head game will also allow for network play where your actions on your machine affect the other player's game and vice-versa. With its open development platform and SDK coming up soon, I'm expecting a lot of outside the box thinking from third party developers.

#43 5 years ago

Depends on if you are a good Santa, or a bad Santa.

tenor.giftenor.gif
    #44 5 years ago

I just think 1 player pins should make a comeback! lol

4 weeks later
    #45 5 years ago

Well, why can't pinball be more like fighting games? It would be call pinball fighting games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-pinball-have-to-be-turn-based?hl=mikedenton49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.