(Topic ID: 36669)

Why does nobody make new WPC sound boards?

By rotordave

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Homepin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 11 years ago

Speech boards for System 7/9, then all Williams audio boards up until early WPC used the 55516 series of CVSD decoder chips for speech decoding. These haven't been available in a LONG time. The WPC-DCS sound boards used a different set of components, and the later WPC's are the ones that have boards available.

I do have a couple ideas I'm working on for System 7/9 speech boards that may translate well to later designs too.... but I've really only gotten into the early phases of this project and keep getting sidetracked.

As mentioned above, it's not impossible just cost prohibitive with limited demand compared to the other boards that have much higher failure rates.

-Hans

#14 11 years ago

Yep, the ASIC's are going to be a future issue for sure. But the WPC era stuff has much better documentation available and the original schematic sheets and such may still be around, so theoretically they may be able to make more of them. The demand will be there for sure and PPS has an interest in keeping CPU boards available.

3 years later
    #27 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I have pinsound in my ToM and it's superb - only issue with WPC-95 is that you still need the original sound board for DMD.
    Does anyone know what chip(s) has the shortage and are there any schematics of the chip? I can get custom chips done - (yes it won't be cheap) but I'm up for it.
    Cheers,
    Neil

I believe it's the Yamaha decoders, and for earlier boards it's the 55516 CVSD decoders.

-Hans

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-nobody-make-new-wpc-sound-boards?tu=HHaase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.