(Topic ID: 103279)

Why does my Getaway Automatically shoot the ball?

By jmountjoy111

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I had this listed under a different thread about it being switch issues but I believe I am over that and on to the next set of issues.

I was experiencing some switch issues but after adding new diodes and reseating all the connectors all of my switches are acting normal in both game play and during the switch edge test.

When a game is started and a ball is launched into the shooter lane it is automatically shot into the playfield. When this happens it triggers the eject hole switch which would light video mode or grant bonus. It automatically shoots the ball every time a new ball is launched into the lane.

However, when a ball is locked in the right ramp you have to manually shift to launch the ball. When manually shifting to launch the ball the eject hole is not triggered and the game operates as it normally should.

So I believe my initial complaint about the eject switch being triggered must be linked to the automatic launching of the ball. has anyone dealt with this issue and if so what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

There is a setting you should check....

In the feature adjustments, there is a "Timed Plunger" adjustment. "The operator chooses whether the plunger kicks automatically for the player."

Maybe you have that switched on?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

There is a setting you should check....
In the feature adjustments, there is a "Timed Plunger" adjustment. "The operator chooses whether the plunger kicks automatically for the player."
Maybe you have that switched on?

I just went out and attempted this adjustment. It automatically shoots the ball if I have it off or if I have it at 120 seconds or 60 seconds etc... If I can manually shoot it prior to it automatically shoot it then it does not trigger the eject switch so I am certain that the two issues are tied together.

What else could cause it to act like this?

#4 9 years ago

There might be a switch stuck closed and when the ball starts the switch scores a point and the game thinks the ball is already in play so it shoots the ball.

#5 9 years ago

It kind of sounds like the trough is a bit out of whack. The outhole and all three trough switches are all next to each other both physically and on the switch matrix column. It sounds like maybe one of them isn't closing or opening properly as the balls move around.

First dumb question though is - how many balls are in the game? It should be 3. If you've got 4 in there I can see that confusing things mightily.

Assuming there are 3, take the balls out of the machine and put the machine into switch test. Drop a ball into the outhole, you should see (just) the outhole switch trigger. Flick the ball with a finger manually from the outhole into the trough. You should see the outhole switch go off, and then each of the 3 trough switches trigger one by one as the ball rolls down the trough. Repeat with the others and check that the switches are doing what they should. Then reach through the coin door and give the trough kicker a flick. It should kick a ball into the shooter lane, then you'll see the balls roll down the trough to fill the gap and the shooter lane switch activate.

I think your problem is in that area somewhere....

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

It kind of sounds like the trough is a bit out of whack. The outhole and all three trough switches are all next to each other both physically and on the switch matrix column. It sounds like maybe one of them isn't closing or opening properly as the balls move around.
First dumb question though is - how many balls are in the game? It should be 3. If you've got 4 in there I can see that confusing things mightily.
Assuming there are 3, take the balls out of the machine and put the machine into switch test. Drop a ball into the outhole, you should see (just) the outhole switch trigger. Flick the ball with a finger manually from the outhole into the trough. You should see the outhole switch go off, and then each of the 3 trough switches trigger one by one as the ball rolls down the trough. Repeat with the others and check that the switches are doing what they should. Then reach through the coin door and give the trough kicker a flick. It should kick a ball into the shooter lane, then you'll see the balls roll down the trough to fill the gap and the shooter lane switch activate.
I think your problem is in that area somewhere....

Thats the thing though. I have 3 balls in the game. I have ran through all the switch edge tests and replaced all of the trough switches and diodes. I cant figure it out and it is driving me crazy!!!

#7 9 years ago

It launches the ball from the trough into the shooter lane properly. The problem starts once the ball enters the shooter lane. It used to act weird in the trough but I got all of that lined out. It just automatically shoots the ball even though that setting is turned off in feature settings.

#8 9 years ago

Start a new game and grab the ball when it ejects into the shooter lane before it touches the shooter lane switch. Do points score on the game ?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Start a new game and grab the ball when it ejects into the shooter lane before it touches the shooter lane switch. Do points score on the game ?

No points score on the game when I grab it before it hits the shooter lane switch. The machine sits and then begins looking for the ball.

As soon as the shooter lane switch is pressed the coil fires and the eject switch is triggered at the same time.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

As soon as the shooter lane switch is pressed the coil fires and the eject switch is triggered at the same time.

So you are saying the eject switch is registering at the same time the shooter lane switch is registered? If two switches are registering at the same time then that is where I would start looking. On the first post you said you added diodes to some switches. Was any work done on these two switches ?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

So you are saying the eject switch is registering at the same time the shooter lane switch is registered? If two switches are registering at the same time then that is where I would start looking. On the first post you said you added diodes to some switches. Was any work done on these two switches ?

Yes. They are new switches and diodes. It is registering both at the same time but only when the ball automatically launches. If there is a ball locked in the right ramp then you can manually launch the ball with the shifter and the game works perfect.

#12 9 years ago

My getaway did this at one time due to the shooter lane switch not registering when the ball ejected.

#13 9 years ago

Check switch edges test and solve the issue why the tunnel saucer scoop is also registering when a ball is in the shooter lane.

Perhaps when a ball is locked, the problem goes away because you have a different switch matrix setup (ball 2 in trough is going open, ball 1 switch in lock assy is closed).

Probably a bad diode or miswiring in the switch matrix.

Also check your cpu for battery corrosion.

#14 9 years ago

I will start running through the switch edge tests again tonight and see if that leads me anywhere. All switches appear to be working properly when I run it through switch edge test though.

The board is a brand new rottendog that was put in because of battery corrosion. I will check the connector in the surrounding areas to see if there is any corrosion damage on them as the board was put in before I purchased the machine.

1 week later
#15 9 years ago

Getaway is now working properly once again.

In the switch edge test I began triggering switches in sequence. I noticed that it would only mark the shooter switch as the eject hole when both left trough and center trough were pulled. So I began checking those two once again.

I placed new diodes on them both. And then noticed that the old diode on the left trough switch was in backwards. I soldered the new one in the right way. However, the wires were also backwards on that switch. Once I moved my wires to the other side all switches began registering correctly. The game is 100% fully functional now. Time to hit that supercharger!!!

Thanks guys for all the help.

#16 9 years ago

Thank you for letting us know what the issue was. Definitely good for posterity purposes. Now let's go nail that dirtbag!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 72.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-my-getaway-automatically-shoot-the-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.