(Topic ID: 69452)

Why does Indianapolis 500 (Indy500) get little to no love?

By OldSchoolBlood

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RandyV
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have played all the Bally / Williams DMD games. Indy 500 IMO is the lost gem from the 90's. It is better than some "A" titles that sell for double or triple the price. When top games are discussed, this one never comes up and really it should be. Like "The Shadow", this game is extremely undervalued for the high level of play you get. Every time I play this one I scratch my head and wonder how is it possible this game is not more in demand. Why do you think this game is so sadly overlooked?

#2 6 years ago

It's not, really. It gets it's share of love. I like it a lot.

#3 6 years ago

I don't think it is.

There aren't a lot of them out there, and I've not seen one 'cheap' for quite some time now.

I'd welcome another I500 at some point in time, I've only owned it 3 times

#4 6 years ago

Because most Americans prefer the endless, boring "stock" cars of NASCAR to open-wheel.

#5 6 years ago

I recently added one to my gameroom and it is a blast to play. I agree that it really is a bit of an unknown gem. I really like the fast flow and the rule set is fun to play. Mine is never leaving.

#7 6 years ago

Personally, I just don't see that game anywhere, ever.

#8 6 years ago

I have both Indy 500 and NASCAR and I500 is awesome. It has always been one of my favorites. It has a permanent place in my gameroom. Mine also has the solid red on the cabinet so there is no fade.

#9 6 years ago

I think the game gets plenty of love. It's just not for sale anywhere and not on route anywhere. Its rarity keeps it under wraps. I wouldn't say it's not under demand, though. Whenever one goes up for sale, it's usually sold in hours.

#10 6 years ago

Great game. You don't see many...that's part of it likely. Also, many newer collectors seem drawn to "top ten" list games...just look at everybody going nuts for MMr at $8K a pop.

#11 6 years ago

Super cool game and one of my favorites at the arcade. Completing all 200 (?) laps takes significant skills which I do not have!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Completing all 200 (?) laps takes significant skills which I do not have!

Trying doing 200 laps at Indy in Gran Turismo. Had to keep my wrists stiff for 3 hours, which is very hard to do.

#13 6 years ago

I love it, and have been looking for one for years. It gets tons of love among tournament players. I think most casual players who aren't into it simply haven't had one near them to try out.

#14 6 years ago

Played it in Nashville (Game Galaxy ) in March and had to have one. Took 5 months of looking before a nice one popped up in Arizona. Didn't think twice about shipping it to Atlanta. I really think not many people have tried one out. Nashville was the first one I'd seen in person. the new tutorial may spark some interest. Bowen really shows how to play the thing.

it may be a keeper...

#15 6 years ago

There was one at the Fairfax VA tournement last year and it was getting all sorts of love.

#16 6 years ago

AVOID DEBRIS

#17 6 years ago

Great game Bowen makes it look easy this game can be set up very fast . Anybody win the race when set on factory settings ?

#18 6 years ago

I like that game!

#19 6 years ago

I like it, I just don't ever see it. I've only played it once or twice at MPE, which is the only place I've seen it. I thought it was really cool, and wouldn't mind owning one should I ever cross paths with one for sale at the right time and place.

#20 6 years ago

love it got a bunch of indy winners on the mylar autographs

#21 6 years ago

As others have said, not many have played it due to its low production numbers.
I know an op who has two of them. Both were on route. I was at his shop about a month ago and he was shopping one and said it had been sold. I guess I should pick up the one he still has.
It is a fun game.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

Played it in Nashville (Game Galaxy ) in March and had to have one. Took 5 months of looking before a nice one popped up in Arizona. Didn't think twice about shipping it to Atlanta. I really think not many people have tried one out. Nashville was the first one I'd seen in person. the new tutorial may spark some interest. Bowen really shows how to play the thing.
it may be a keeper...

Thank u for getting that out of AZ! There is quite a few here and I will unfortunately be playing one here this weekend in a tournament. Cool theme but lame layout, crappy art and horrible callouts/music. Put this next to Corvette and u can have the worst duo ever, with a cool theme.

1 week later
#23 6 years ago

I500 is one of those games that isn't terribly deep, but the modes are extremely well integrated with the theme. The custom voice work by Paul Page, Bobby Unser and former track announcer Tom Carnegie (RIP) is first rate. There isn't necessarily a wizard mode, so once you achieve everything, the Victory Lap is a bit of a let down but on the whole, the game is a lot of fun.

As others have said, at 2,249 units, the game is fairly low production so they are somewhat rare. When the game was first released, I had the good fortune of having one at a local restaurant/bar and played it every day at lunch. A few years back someone posted one for sale on rgp without any cabinet fade and I picked it up for a fair price. I do think the theme is a bit of a factor as well. The public interest in the 500 isn't what it was 20-30 years ago when you had guys legends like Foyt, Mears and Andretti racing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside