(Topic ID: 251236)

Why does IFPA allow preplays in leagues?

By TechnicalSteam

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190924-103704_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider technicalsteam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Last night I got a bit angry at league night. #1 I was playing against 2 individuals that opted for Preplay.
    I suppose it would be fine accept that the scores on these sheets were ridiculously high. There is no
    one present to monitor the games or buddy system or anything in our local league. I've noticed that
    some people use the Preplay scores as a tactic to increase their performance.

#1. There has to be a more fair and just system to deal with absenteeism in league.

#2. Players that don't attend should not be eligible for Bonus Points

#3. Why can't I preplay a Tournament vs League?

#4. What consequence should places that don't use preplay's correctly.

Was going to rant on our local pinball league group but I honestly don't know the precise rules that are in place.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

The league I'm in allows preplays but they have to be done in the presence of another league player. Whether the scores are accurate 100% of the time I have no idea and never made an issue of it. Where I play if someone submits what would be a grand champion score their initials should be on the machine anyway.
    The reason they're allowed in the first place is to allow people to participate in league and if something comes up like work or vacation you can use preplays instead of taking a forfeit.

Another Problem with Preplays
    Machines - may not perform the same as when Preplays were completed.
    Example Right Flipper not firing correctly on Day A. but working perfect day b.

Sems that there should just be some kind of 2 weeks grace period just given to players. They can miss out if they need to without having to use preplays scores.

1 week later
    #13 4 years ago

So the answer is IFPA only allows "Verified Preplays" meaning that someone witnessed the event?

How does IFPA police this sort of thing?

#17 4 years ago

Preplays are okay when someone else plays with the person to verify it.

It just seems folks here pick the best one of 15 games or write down something in between the season average or make up a number.

Then they can also get "bonus points" for their questionable solo play scores. This just doesn't seem to be what pinball is about.

I hate playing against people that don't show up and use preplays. Everyone questions the score and it usually derails the entire group.
    Especially when your playing 2x people who had preplays. Talk about lame.

Additionally it seems like a maintenance nightmare. Now TDS are on the hook for tracking all the scores and making sure they are publically available.

And not changing the scores after the fact. Played a bunch of games only to have the Preplay Score change at end of night even after it was publically published is lame.

#18 4 years ago

Have you considered they were high because the player played well, and, sorry to break it to you, better than you?

Not when the score changes over night. Not when the pre-play was played solo. I'd do real well if I didn't have 3 other
    folks interrupting my game. Do you understand?

#21 4 years ago

What if the TD's allow this to go on? Is that still acceptable? That is the whole point TDs let people solo preplay here for years.
    You can grab the preplay sheet any night fill out any score you want and leave. No one would be the wiser except if you made
    to good of a score and it didn't show up on the High scores the next day. This happened and we forfeit that score. However
    SOLO preplays are not the same as a group Preplay. There is someone there to vouch. That doesn't happen with everyone in
    our league.

We have folks playing in 3x leagues a week using SOLO preplay scores that usually end up being the season's best. How does that make for a fair system.

It would be better to just have a set # of nights established a player can miss without this system. That would ensure that no one ever cheat.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What did the IFPA say when you reported this to them? They are the only ones that can help you.

Would they really do anything? Brought to it to their attention and just got bullied by some folks.
    Really uncool but guess they don't want to follow own rules.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Not understanding how that prevents me showing up on league night when nobody else from my group is there.
    I was in a bowling league years ago and they had the same rules with pre-bowling. My team would show up and the other team wasn't there. At least in that case we could bowl three games with each other and socialize although it made for a quick night. Playing pinball by yourself on league night sucks though.

Pinball isn't bowling. And that is truly lame that the team didn't show up. Imagine if this happened in baseball or hockey.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from wlf_:

Quit saying you got bullied. You come out accusing a bunch of really nice and respected people of cheating, and continue to whine.
    These leagues have run over 200,000 games of play. You've been a part of about 20 of them.
    Leave our league, please.[quoted image]

Someone just called me up from their office exchange and threatened me with violence. "Unknown Number" you suck.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

That's how we do it. Scores have to be witnessed by another member and your intention to preplay must be announced to that member prior to starting the preplay.

That's a shame and should be brought to the attention of the TD.

Playing like that is exactly what needs to be done. It sets up a system of trust, encourages community and really makes it bulletproof.

You got it right when you say it's a thankless job. Hey your doing a great job following the rules and making pinball fun.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from wlf_:

Chris, if you've been threatened with violence, you shouldn't be posting on a pinball forum about it. The emergency number is 911. Have your pinball rulebook ready.
    Was someone there to verify? Would hate for them to blow you off by saying you're lying, just like you're saying everyone who plays you on preplays lies

I have taken down my post to the SLAP pinball page. Really didn't think anyone would get so worked up over a simple question. I'm used to dealing with a whole different type of people in discussing issues. Most people took my comment as a personal attack even though I didn't mention anyone by name. I've been discussing the Preplay issue with several people during league and outside of league for several weeks. Just wanted to open up and talk about it as I finely had gotten some answers as to what the rules concerning preplay actually were. "A verified intentional game witnessed by TD or Person".

The flak that came out of this was more than I wanted. A simple answer would of sufficed but my wording must of come about wrong. Hence my numerous numerous edits. I really should type this out in Word first but usually am distracted by work. I didn't say that at all. I said the system in place isn't following the rules 100%. Nothing more. No one provided an answer. The answer that was implied is "People are free to play preplays as a solo match, group event and fill out the sheet and handed in. No validation from other players is required. The TD will enter the scores into system or use the actual sheets for preplay." Whereas the rules referenced for gameplays contradict the practice. People drew their own conclusions where as I wanted the official word. Which still has not been stated.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider technicalsteam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-ifpa-allow-preplays-in-leagues-?tu=technicalsteam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.