(Topic ID: 302671)

Why do you think people bail on NIB before receiving (w Poll)

By MK6PIN

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do you think people bail on a NIB Pin before ever receiving it?”

• FOMO, but knowing they can't really afford it (hopeful after deposit the $$$ will show before bill due) 11 votes
      9%
    • FOMO, but believing flip potential isn't what was originally thought 13 votes
      11%
    • FOMO, bought to flip, and now is the best time (potentially gets my vote, but have to think about it) 22 votes
      18%
    • FOMO, but an actual fiscal event prohibits purchase 0 votes
    • FOMO, but a spouse or family event does indeed intercede 3 votes
      2%
    • FOMO, but after seeing release vids, leaked info (true or not) caused a change of heart 41 votes
      33%
    • FOMO, but wait is too long, or given delivery timeline is not acceptable or adhered to 16 votes
      13%
    • FOMO, but a different title changed your mind on purchase 9 votes
      7%
    • Other, I don't know, dog ate my homework, or something else 8 votes
      7%

(123 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

430EB376-72EA-441F-801F-61C4712D14CF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

This is not game or Manufacturer specific:

Thought it might be interesting to gauge the perception (what do you think) of why so many NIB titles come up for sale before they are even received. Not necessarily why you personally would do it, but an interpretation of the usual, posted reasons.

Examples - "My Wife made me Bail" could be interpreted as truth (hmm) or inability to pay. Deposits are easy...balances not so much.

Poll will have what I see alot of. Feel free to add, along w reasoning, to anything I left out

This is not to be confused with "Why do so many games come up for sale AFTER release?" (whole different thing)

(don't know why the gap in the poll is there...screwed something up I suppose)

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Way too long of a wait & people get nervous when it doesn't seem perfect.

2 of the biggies I believe..

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

What the heck is FOMO?

FOMO= Fear Of Missing Out

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Unfortunately other then Stern you pretty much have to react in this buying economy while waiting to see pictures/game play which often changes that first instinct. I am impressed by the few selling pre-order spots for Less then they paid just to get out.

Haven't really paid attention, as I honestly just buy/ pre-order games that interest me. Instant gratification and NIB pinball are definitely oxymorons, lol, for a variety of reasons...

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

All of the options say FOMO, so I didn’t vote. I ordered ACNC because I thought it was a beautiful pin. But after playing it at 3 different shows, I decided I didn’t like how it played - too tight. So I sold my spot for a $300 loss, and chalked it up as a life lesson. Now I only buy a game after I’ve had a chance to play 10-20 games on it. And not at a show, where I have to wait in line for 30 minutes to play a game with 3 other people.

But I think you just said you sold your spot after playing it 3 times at shows? Do you think it would have been " too tight" in a home environment and had more time on it? Was ( is) the game still appealing to you? Any regrets?

Yours is a different experience as you had a chance to play, then back out. Certainly makes more sense to me....

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Pinside is the reason.
    Along with podcast personalities.

Believe these contribute for sure. Hearsay or a certain person's opinion could sway one to commit one way, then the other.

Someone else's perception should never become someone else's reality....suppose it happens.

( looks like your theory is currently shared by most at the moment)

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

It’s a monkey brain evolutionary thing.
    The scarcer the resources (fresh meat/LE Pinball) and the higher the stakes (starvation/loss of Pinside glory for not getting it first), the more the brain gorges on a feast of dopamine and serotonin to euphorically “reward” the successful individual and motivate repeated behavior (killing a moose/getting to choose your serial #).
    Then, once the thrill of conquest abates and the more rational “left brain” thoughts start to intrude you begin to realize it’s really just another pinball machine, then it’s knocked from the pedestal as people start discussing its flaws (all games have them), and you get buyer’s remorse and offload your reservation on Pinside market.
    It’s like the letdown you feel the morning after a night of hard-partying hedonism!

I get caught in the hype as well....dodged most bullets however before plunking $$$ down on the unknown ( most).

Backed out on a couple, only to pick them up later at a slightly higher $$$ 1 HUO, 1 NIB. Different reasons than the pole however ( COVID prudence on one, love, hate, love on the other...a brain thing)

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

FOMO is why they jump on the bandwagon and buy in the first place.
    FOGSWAT is why they bail. (Fear Of Getting Stuck With A Turd)

Nice and agreed!!! Like that acronym, should have just included " CFS" ( Cold Feet Syndrome) in the Poll. Is that a medical condition...

#25 2 years ago

Well although the current majority's perception is they bail due to seeing or hearing more about the game or timeline. Oddly though, the total count of those buying w intent to flip is pretty much equal.

Given the crazy escalation of value w these things, is " buying solely to flip" more of a thing?

Not why I'm in the hobby, but suppose some are involved for this reason (?).

IDK.....suppose current timing of the post could imply 3 different, current game offerings, but happens every single time as rotordave pointed out in another thread.

Think Pinzap sort of nailed it for the most part, but also think the reality of coughing up that final check has something to do with it as these games are definitely getting crazy expensive.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Is there a "Watched early production recipient's playfields pool, chip, and start to self-destruct" option?

Nah, lol....that's based on logic....

I think this is all about the $$$ - lack thereof, or perceived ability to flip for profit that make some "buy" every new title before release, then dump before anything of real merit ( good or bad) surfaces.

I'll see pre-order spots listed ( and sell) for 1k over normal deposit on initial rush ( FOMO for a "grail" or whatever reason) flippers dream as they never even touch the game.

Doesn't seem brand related, except possibly Stern, where they hold LE #'s and get the games out pretty quick. Then again, they can take forever w good/ final coding, turning a dog into a gem. Like the JJP pooling/ chipping stuff, all materializes after the fact.

Think every new title is going to " sell out" moving forward, and then "x" always will dump before even getting or really knowing what it will be.

Such is this hobby....

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I will say changed their mind after reveal and flippers bailing out after they decide its not going to be a gold mine like GNR CE was.

Agreed, though leaning more to the $$$ flipper side currently

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Where is “number of FOMO LEs keeps changing at launch”

New I'd miss a couple...

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

For the first time , I bailed on a purchase. Halloween looked to be such a different layout than every game I've owned so far. But , honestly, I don't have the patience for any game, irregardless of theme, to wait a year or two for it to mature in code. It's had a few issues to be honest , and that helped push my decision to return. It cost me a 5% return fee, $100, and I think that was more than fair. And the distributor sold the next day as it was a early 200# . Maybe I'll buy one in a few years from one of my friends who also bought.

Think you fit in FOMO #7...

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Sounds like me as well.

Too logical...doesn't fit here.

#43 2 years ago

As of right now, there are 28 votes with flipper intentions vs the " logical" and more noble reason ( "I saw a stream, heard a podcast, and even though it's not finished and I've never owned it, I shall sell my spot")- 36 votes.

Believing the flippers, as they are sort of just do what they do....

I just think speculation, not love or hate, is driving the premature dumping trend currently.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I didn't see scalping.

True ( flips up to 31)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-you-think-people-bail-on-nib-before-receiving-w-poll?tu=MK6PIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.