(Topic ID: 308878)

Why do you like Pinside? (genuinely curious)

By calsheimer

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0B03C204-9285-4364-9804-9AD3C327386B (resized).jpeg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago

Beside all the great already mentioned points, it is a great place to login and see what my current collection is worth today and then by Christmas

#52 2 years ago

I learn what New machine to buy (or not buy) based on the opinions of Pinsiders who have never played the game.

#53 2 years ago

The owners threads are fantastic.
    The tech help if needed, like pictures or previous experiences, is a great help when restoring.
    The odd idiot, smart arse or stupid topic is easily blocked or ignored.
    The layout on pc and mobile is great.
    The machine pages are great.

It's really cool communicating with like minded people from all over the globe to share resources and ideas.

My only gripe is the lack of support or response from mods on my custom game recognition. No idea why.

#54 2 years ago

I love the Filet-O-Fish. Found a great thread here while searching Google. Realized there was some info on pinball machines. Now I collect pinball machines and Filet -O-Fish sandwiches. The sandwiches don’t last as long as the pinball machines

#55 2 years ago

In before LIONMAN?

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

I love the Filet-O-Fish. Found a great thread here while searching Google. Realized there was some info on pinball machines. Now I collect pinball machines and Filet -O-Fish sandwiches. The sandwiches don’t last as long as the pinball machines

You need a tarter sauce topper.

#57 2 years ago

I come here for the sweet, kind-hearted people that always have such positive things to say about everything and everyone. Such an upbeat bunch, never snarky or sarcastic at all.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I come here for the sweet, kind-hearted people that always have such positive things to say about everything and everyone. Such an upbeat bunch, never snarky or sarcastic at all.

Not to mention no traces of class warfare either.

#59 2 years ago

Me like pinball. Other people here like pinball too. We talk about pinball here all the time. Me have no other social medias like FB or nothing else, so this where I go.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

That sounds like a Fish Tale.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m just here for the price bubble threads.

Don't downplay the carguments.

#62 2 years ago

What the hell else am I gonna do 8 hours a day while I'm working?

Besides, I feel like I know half you guys by now. On top of that, the repair and restore threads are invaluable. I have no problem coughing up $35 to help keep the site running, I've saved many hundreds of dollars and learned so much it's incredible. The knowledge available here is second to none.

#63 2 years ago

@LTG, @VID1900, @MarkG, the Cult of Evaporust, the Creed of the Low-End Pin Man, A Picture from your Window, Favorite Childhood Toys and Memories, keeping up with friends, and countless other things.
    Pinside is awesome!

#64 2 years ago

There's plenty of BS here to roll your eyes at or ignore, but on balance this place is a nice oasis from the toxic hellscape that is the rest of the social media internet.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from calsheimer:

Hi!
    Pinside sometimes gets a bad rap, fairly or unfairly (not interested in discussing those points).
    That aside, there's a large active community of pinball lovers here and pinside does a lot of good for the hobby.
    So, why do you like it? What do you find here that you can't find in other places (like a Facebook group, for example)?

Pinside only gets a bad rap on social media (facebook group). Social media is easily trolled by a small minority and the algorithms running social media keep bringing these posts to your attention all the time. FB is always trying to push you to sponsored sites and control where you go. You can control your situation much better on Pinside. You can drain threads, block the negativity and taylor the experience much better to suit your self.

Pinside if full of great people and products that are easy to find. You have a problem with a machine, start a thread and there are plenty of Pinsiders willing to help. If you can use the search function, more than likely someone has already had the same issue and there is a solution for you right there and then. Threads are easy to find and go back to. A lot of Pinsiders have made friendships as well.

The amount of good people on Pinside prepared to share their knowledge is amazing. Pinside is old school like pinball. I love it and all the good people that go with it.

#66 2 years ago

Absolutely packed with knowledge and help of all kinds. Great people great environment! This is the only social media app I have.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Pinside only gets a bad rap on social media (facebook group). Social media is easily trolled by a small minority and the algorithms running social media keep bringing these posts to your attention all the time. FB is always trying to push you to sponsored sites and control where you go. You can control your situation much better on Pinside. You can drain threads, block the negativity and taylor the experience much better to suit your self.
    Pinside if full of great people and products that are easy to find. You have a problem with a machine, start a thread and there are plenty of Pinsiders willing to help. If you can use the search function, more than likely someone has already had the same issue and there is a solution for you right there and then. Threads are easy to find and go back to. A lot of Pinsiders have made friendships as well.
    The amount of good people on Pinside prepared to share their knowledge is amazing. Pinside is old school like pinball. I love it and all the good people that go with it.

I got downvoted into oblivion on reddit for suggesting that Pinside was better than the FB groups. I avoid FB like the plague. FB sucks. Pinside rocks. There is no comparison.

#68 2 years ago

I've become addicted to Shasta and deli meats.Thanks pinside.

#69 2 years ago

Its the only place I come to feel normal.

#70 2 years ago

The articles!

*edit - you said pinside, not playboy. My mistake

#71 2 years ago

No advertisement!!

Other than garbage pinstadium but that seems to be dying finally.

#72 2 years ago

Early on it was to find machines and learn to repair/restore them. Also to discover new machines and see what's being released, it really is an amazing resource for the hobby. I'm not buying anymore as the market has moved beyond where it makes sense for me. Since I'm not searching or working on pins, now I am just here to BS and enjoy the drama. That part of the place has always been a love hate relationship.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Me like pinball. Other people here like pinball too. We talk about pinball here all the time. Me have no other social medias like FB or nothing else, so this where I go.

Ditto! No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and I’m sure they’re are others. Turn my cell phone off on the weekends to avoid text messages.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

I got downvoted into oblivion on reddit for suggesting that Pinside was better than the FB groups. I avoid FB like the plague. FB sucks. Pinside rocks. There is no comparison.

Cannot emphasize enough how much facebook sucks. Reddit has its issues as well but fb is designed from the ground up to make facebook money at the expense of any kind of integrity or care about their users.

#75 2 years ago

I hate everyone on pinside and everyone on pinside hates me. There is no confusion. This is nirvana. Why wouldn’t I like it?

#76 2 years ago

This is the most complete website related to a hobby. And the people are so helpful . Everything you need at 1 site . It’s great

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

Reddit just sucks like that. You see a cool hobby group and make some comment slightly out-of-sync with the groupthink and your voice gets dumped.

Pinside is its own echo chamber but at least all opinions stand a chance.

#78 2 years ago

It's fun to window shop all the machines for sale.

#79 2 years ago

Just here to laugh at dumbasses that pay thousands of dollars for a stupid fucking topper.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from Percula:

This is the most complete website related to a hobby. And the people are so helpful . Everything you need at 1 site . It’s great

Indeed..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-else-agrees-pinside-is-the-best-hobby-website-bar-none-poll

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Misspelling.
    LTG : )

#82 2 years ago

I bought my 1st pin 20 years ago and have been active collecting since. Joined here 4.5 years ago and have met many, many helpful people. I was on RGP for many years before joining here.

The best parts? Being able to google for example "Pinside Gottlieb Volley won't start" and then seeing what others have done to solve it before starting a thread. And of course reading threads like the Baywatch Imamculate or the NOS High Speed ads are a bonus.

Sold a $60 tie on the FOF thread was also a bonus.

#83 2 years ago

I’m just here to meet women.

#84 2 years ago

I'm here to help and be helped in the tech threads.

#85 2 years ago

it is a great place to pick up chicks

#86 2 years ago

As the most intelligent person I know, I come here to remind myself that I really am a dumbass when it come to some things. I've learned a lot lurking on here.

#87 2 years ago

I like to keep up with all the pinball news
    I like all the helpful people
    I like the drama (being honest)

#88 2 years ago

The people.
    How else would I get design ideas for our next home?

0B03C204-9285-4364-9804-9AD3C327386B (resized).jpeg0B03C204-9285-4364-9804-9AD3C327386B (resized).jpeg

#89 2 years ago

- Funny Captions Thread
    - Let's close this Thread down
    - You Know You Are Old When. . .

These threads are f'n hilarious. You don't need to read anything else!!!

That's right bitches..... three exclamation points in my last statement.

QSS

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sean_bc:

For me, there is just so much information here. And alot of people willing to help.
    Of course you're going to get the complainers and shit disturbers, but I think it's offset greatly by the other side.

Pretty much this for me. And when you meet a couple really, really good people, it makes up for the 100s of shitposters.

#91 2 years ago

I like to read and I like to learn. Don't post too often these days, but I'm still around...

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model 78, H & S Skee Ball

#92 2 years ago

I'm kind of OCD about collecting, organizing, and databasing. I really like the collection tab and all of the additional info you can put about each pin (purchase details and date) as well as the maintenance log. It's nice to be able to keep track of the work that has been done and needs to be done. I'm definitely that type of person that makes a dated entry every time I fix something.

The map is super cool. I love looking to see where various pins and collections are around the US and the world. It's always fun when I'm traveling to look at the pinside map and see if there are any cool arcades to check out.

The forum is great. Lots of knowledge and advice for repairs/troubleshooting as well as interesting facts.

#93 2 years ago

I thought about another aspect of Pinside I really enjoy and that is the interaction with the actual game designers and code developers. From the initiation of a theme in a hype thread to the beta testing done in an owners thread. Having a game designer/coder chime in on a discussion and having those discussions implemented into the games code, etc. is really great.
    An example is in the Led Zeppelin owners thread(was a tight group) we bounced ideas off each other daily and an issue developed early on with the Electric Magic spinner popping up and getting damaged by balls while raising and lowering. Discussions about timing and protecting the Electric Magic spinner came up and within a week a solution was implemented in the next code update that solved the problem. Really cool to interact with the true legends of pinball-the developers, designers and everyone else involved.

P.S. I also like Pinside because I love lamp and Centerflank is my hero

#94 2 years ago

Pinball is just one of my hobbies so I also frequent other sites regularly.
    Pinside has BY FAR the best features and many of them. Too many to
    comment on. I've recommended Pinside as THE reference to others that have
    hobby sites. There is just so much to explore here.

And of course there are the people, wide range of (largely) uncensored
    points of views and opinions. Often good for a laugh.
    Steve

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

I also frequent other sites regularly.
    Pinside has BY FAR the best features and many of them. Too many to
    comment on. I've recommended Pinside as THE reference to others that have
    hobby sites. There is just so much to explore here.

Excellent point! robin and Martijn have created Pinside from the ground up instead of using the same common forum tools you see on the web. Their passion for pinball allows all the rest of us to interact in ways that would not be possible otherwise.
    Many thanks to Martijn & Robin.

#96 2 years ago

I trust Pinside over FaceB, I would not dare private message on FaceB.
    Who knows what FaceB does with all that info, but I'm sure it is not in my best interests.
    I met Robin and Matijn and they seem much more trust worthy than Zuk.

#97 2 years ago

Never been on facebook. Prob missing out on some good deals but don't wanna get close to that rabbit hole.

#98 2 years ago

I think you should add a POLL and use every reason posted so far...

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from Budwin:

I trust Pinside over FaceB, I would not dare private message on FaceB.
    Who knows what FaceB does with all that info, but I'm sure it is not in my best interests.
    I met Robin and Matijn and they seem much more trust worthy than Zuk.

Seems like everyday someone on FB is posting about a scam account in the pinball groups. At least with Pinside, you can look at a user's ad history and feedback to get a sense if the account is legit or not. There's no way I'm buying a pin from a stranger on FB unless I can see and pickup in person. Too much risk, especially now with prices blowing up. It's not a $50 TV.

#100 2 years ago

I came for the pinball lessons, Shasta and Deli meat and i stayed for the coil counting, price policing, bubble speculation, pinflation, redundant threads, GIFs, remake speculation and boutique pinball cautionary tales.

Seriously though all of you make Pinside what it is, i could play pinball by myself.. all of you are why i am here.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-you-like-pinside-genuinely-curious/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.