(Topic ID: 302472)

Why do you like pinball?

By Bmanpin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87161E24-C5D1-4F3E-AD1B-91D448663962 (resized).jpeg
    table (resized).png
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Ike:

Why did I like pinball? Because when I was young, I could win a free game.
    Why do I like pinball now? Because the combination of skill and the random action means there are never, ever two identical games. No patterns memorized and the tactical feels and sounds of every game no matter how simple or complex make pushing that start button my unique experience.
    Why do I love pinball? Because there are themes that resonate with my life, passions and interests whether music, movies, or whatever. I can fill a room that speaks to *me*. I love pinball because I can share the experience with my family and friends, playing together while enjoying time together where any ball can be a winner or a loser for any player and bonding around the common fun. I love pinball because it gives me a reason to meet others in my community and as I travel whether a tournament or talking about a new or old game in an arcade or pub. And I love pinball because I continue to learn, how to play, how to score and how to fix...it’s like nothing else in my life.

In my teen years I hung around the local arcade and bowling alley. Not ever having much money I would always play pinball. Winning free games would really allow me to stretch those quarters out!
    Ten years ago I bought 2 pins off Kijiji for $700. That was the beginning of many things, reliving my younger years, a new hobby, a crazy compulsion, and so on......
    I just love to be around pinball machines!!!!

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

From Soho down to Brighton
    I must have played 'em all

I live in Brighton area …..wouldn’t take long to play them all on site now

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

I like pinball because I like pinball?

87161E24-C5D1-4F3E-AD1B-91D448663962 (resized).jpeg87161E24-C5D1-4F3E-AD1B-91D448663962 (resized).jpeg
    #54 2 years ago

I like the sounds and the lights are pretty and I have this weird psychological condition were I get nervous and jittery if I have too much money in the bank, so my doctor said I should get into pinball.

Quoted from PopBumperPete:

because I like things that break 5 minutes after you spend a day fixing

Yeah it does seem like literally every time I turn a machine on *something* is broken. And the something usually costs a minimum of $40 to repair. Plus shipping.

I have always like pinball since I was a kid, and I always figured that someday I would own a machine. Then as arcades really started to decline I kinda lost interest. Then out of total boredom one day I installed The Pinball Arcade on Steam and started playing old Williams games (before they lost their license) and not only did I remember how much I liked pinball, but I actually started to really learn the rules, then I just started buying real machines.

#55 2 years ago

It unites my family in an enjoyable experience.
    Pinball gets my kids off their phones.
    I enjoy the hunt for my next pinball machine.
    It’s fun to learn how to maintain, repair and mod the pinball machines to the way we want it to look.
    Pinside has an amazing community with great stories and helpful people to learn from.

#56 2 years ago

Attempting to tame and control a 'wild' silver ball, and impose your will upon its movement....plays on our primeval instinct to conquer and rule using force, aggression and cunning strategy.

That's the phycological explanation.

#57 2 years ago

I have played pinball for years, before video games were a thing in arcades. When video games first appeared in arcades, I purchased a pong game for my TV at home and an Atari 2600 which I played for hours. I still played pinball machines first at arcades. Nothing can replace the feel and movement of the ball on the playfield with nudging and action/reaction that you get with the flippers and pop bumpers. Now, arcades are very rare in my area (almost gone) and people have playstation or other game systems at home, not to mention computer based video game systems with hundreds of people online. Virtual pinball is like another video game to me, so I still go to the regular pinball machines first, if I can find any that work properly.

#58 2 years ago

It is a damn cool hobby!!!!!

you find a pin,

bring it home,

make it better than you bought it,

play the game/learn the rules,

sell it for more than ya got in it,

meet great people!!!

WTF . is not to love!!!

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

...there are so many variables involved in the physics of the ball you can never be sure exactly what it's going to do,...

This.

In an arcade video game like PacMan, you can eventually get good enough where every time you play you survive long enough to literally break the game.

PacMan and games like it train players to play the same way. There were books on exactly what to do.

#operation-thunder has a more fixed rule-set for a pin, but a player can't play the exact same way as the last person did because of the physics above.

#60 2 years ago

Many reasons for me. Got into the hobby on a lark, seeing a pinball machine
    (needing work) in the classified section of the local newspaper. Never played as
    a kid but enjoy restoring interesting and elaborate electronic & mechanical
    things. New and old. Pinball was the perfect way to scratch that itch although
    I didn't realize how deeply I'd get involved initially. Finding, restoring and playing
    machines I've put a lot of time into is pure magic.

Pinball was (and still is) a very good way to relax and forget about bad
    stuff which we all have to deal with. For years it was a very stressful job.
    Finally, its the history and artwork. There are times when late at night
    I'll power up a row of pins and just marvel at the color and wide
    range of art.
    Steve

#61 2 years ago

As a kid, I was drawn to them. My dad was Air Force, all bases had teen centers with machines and I gravitated to them. Walk into a store, I went straight to them. When one was broken, I called the repair number and waited for the repair guy to show up (they always did on the base). It was natural for me to play them, to get one, then many, to repair them, and get more.

People asked, why didn’t you get into the business? It was always fun and an escape. I didn’t want to ruin that experience. Here I am, at 64, downsizing. I’m down to eight machines, turning down offers to buy, and to go out on repairs.

I love the game, and it’s always been a part of my life. I didn’t choose it. It chose me.

#62 2 years ago

Mostly I like to play with balls

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-you-like-pinball/page/2?hl=steve_d71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.