Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B011C526-6C14-4881-BD6A-3BAFBF3F661B.jpeg
C8CA02EE-6D29-4F3A-B83F-60E5D7BBBEB0.jpeg
20161025_183601 (resized).jpg
20170626_200240 (resized).jpg
X-Men (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimjim66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern did that themselves, and they stand out like a sore thumb.

Storm sounds exactly like the storm from the animated series- Yes,it is shitty and annoying, but so was the Storm from the animated series. Many of the other call outs were also from various X-men animation series. When Iceman says, "Juggernaut, the unstoppable Juggernaut" it was lifted straight from the "Wolverine and the X-men" cartoon.

I have no idea where they got the Beast voice from.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not at all. It's an attempt to sound like that...but by a horrible "actress" who has a very shrill voice and cannot act well. Like Beast, it's also mixed poorly and doesn't fit with the sound package.

Even if they used the original voice it would have been crap as the voice from that cartoon was terrible. The sample I showed you was cringe worthy. That is why here voice is not as grating as Beast to me.

As to the topic- Just like people said as to why it fell to where it is:

1. Came out Over-hyped

2. Worst software launch on a machine ever. Didn't even keep the right score.

3. The great software fix to make things right, was crap.

4. Night Crawlers were locking up and Stern had to create an auxiliary board to fix.

5. The Wolverine toy is not a great toy. Most people had to cut into it to try and move him as he covered too much of the Beast lane and it is so big it is impossible to not hit it.

6. With mechanical and software problems people were selling them and taking big hits on it as potential buyers knew the problems and did not have faith they would get fixed.

7. A couple of characters have crappy voice acting that can easily be compared to good voice acting on the more recent X-men Cartoons.

8. Ice ramp did not meet expectations.

The reason we have this thread as some things have changed and people do not know the original history. Many of the things that tanked it have been addressed.

1. Software has been fixed and what was once a minus, is now a plus.

2. The pin is 5k or lower and has a lot of features (back glass, pop ups, ramps), good software (deep with lots of modes), iconic theme as is 2-3k lower than pins that are only a couple of years older. ------If you buy one for less than 5k you feel like you got a steal, if the person sells it to you is an original owner, he feels like he got robbed.-------

3. People have modded the Wolverine toy with a captive ball, making that whole shot 100 times better. Borg initially had this feature in his early concepts. Too bad he changed it.

As it stands now, it is a game that is easy to flip. It won't shoot up in value, but it also won't go down anymore as it is already on the lower end for newer Sterns. Plus there seem to be a lot on the market.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

again, sorry, but this is player fault !
i admit the shoot is tricky, but just play better and you'll get it (as lot others shoots between bumpers)

It's not the players fault that I have gone through 2 unaltered figures because of the ripping of the plastic in the back of the Wolverine because of how many hits it takes.

It is not the players fault that starting the Wolverine mode, or just the Wolverine shot in general, is the easiest shot ever created in pinball. I really can't think of an easier shot in ANY pinball machine. It is 2 times easier than hitting the saucer in AFM.

Any shot that encompasses an orbit between pop bumpers is tricky, but satisfying. Hitting a giant Wolverine figure 5 inches from the flipper is not satisfying. The captive ball mod helps alleviate that problem. The trade off is opening up the beast orbit.

Difference in Captive Ball v. Wolverine Bash Toy:

Captive Ball = little easier Beast shot, still tricky- little harder Wolverine shot

Wolverine Bash Toy = Little harder Beast shot - Stupid easy Wolverine shot

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I would love to get an X-Men LE...but the nightmare stories about the Wolverine figure kept me away.

Just get the captive ball mod. It is reversible if you do not like it.

Quoted from rai:

Excuse me, you have a pro. XMLE should have been set up like the pro, but the claws interfered with the moving ramp so Stern instead of re molding the arm, just turned the whole figurine which changes the whole geometry. I can still make Beast or Xavier shot but they both are a bit more difficult especially Beast and just glancing off Wolverine counts as a hit which can start Weapon X when you were only trying to make an orbit shot to the upper flipper.
Even if Stern had made a new figurine with a more slim profile and sold it aftermarket that would have been ok with me.

That's why I have seen people cut into the back to position him like the pro. The pro set up is perfect. If it wasn't for the Ice Man ramp, they could have kept the same Wolverine.

Still, with the fixes/mods I finally feel the game is what it should be.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimjim66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-x-mens-not-sell?tu=jimjim66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.