Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B011C526-6C14-4881-BD6A-3BAFBF3F661B.jpeg
C8CA02EE-6D29-4F3A-B83F-60E5D7BBBEB0.jpeg
20161025_183601 (resized).jpg
20170626_200240 (resized).jpg
X-Men (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 6 years ago

I read most, but not all of the replies, so if I am repeating something I didn't read I apologize... but I didn't see an important reason mentioned...

First, yeah - the first impression of it was not great for a lot of buyers. They thought it was going to be the bees knees, and it simply wasn't. This was brought up.

What I didn't see brought up was the build up to it's release was both during the "post Tron LE, the LEs must be worth a mint!" time, and it was hyped to the point that no matter how amazing the first version of the game was, I don't think that people would have liked it enough. X-Men is *the* game that started the whole $10k by Christmas thing, as there were certain "insiders" saying that it was going to be such an incredible game that buying an LE was pretty much a guaranteed $10k by Christmas sale if you wanted it, so why not? A TON of the initial investors in the game were pure speculators that thought they were going to easily double their money on it.

But not just was the initial game code weak, the market had a bunch of people who bought with the intention to flip. The combo of those two things drove the price down quickly - when it was discovered the code wasn't too strong, those who bought to flip tried quickly flipping for a profit or to get their money back and the market cratered.

After a few months, many people who bought the game decided it was time to sell because the code hadn't improved how they had been hoping it would. Often, these people took a pretty sizable loss and therefore badmouthed the game.

The code eventually did get awesome, but the early damage had been done and many people don't care to go back to it again.

I will say that I think the Magneto version in particular is one of the best looking pins out there, and if you set it up really hard, it is a super fun game to play. It's one of the few games that I had and sold, but that was strictly due to someone offering me a deal I couldn't turn down because he wanted my specific game, and it's one I could totally see myself owning again in the future.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

I think goatdan said it. I don't own the game but have played it on location since it came out and think X-Men like SM got the code it needed but for some reason didn't get the forgiveness. But SM didn't have the LE speculators making bank by Christmas.
Black Spiderman and Tron LE (premium) seemed crazy expensive at the time and I balked at $5400 for Tron LE well after release. But by X-men everyone was buying and when people lost their "Investment" lots of bad energy followed it like TF and TAV.
If I find an X-Men LE at sub $5000 like suggested, I will buy if local.

SM got the forgiveness for a few reasons, the first is it came out before there was as much market speculation as there is now - it was mostly route games - so less people were terribly annoyed by it immediately. Secondly, Black Spider-Man wasn't announced until well into the run. That seems odd now, but was sort of how Stern used to do it (and to be fair, in the rare cases someone else did a special version, they did it with later versions too... see TAFG). So, Spider-Man came out as a regular game (now "Pro"), got improved a bunch, and then had an LE come out later on once people knew it was good. Having said that, BSM was not a very expensive game until probably five years later when they started to be sought after. But again, the gameplay is also identical, so if you play a SM and love it, you know a BSM is going to be just as fun... and limited looking.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Plus when you're getting NIB Spiderman for $3300, it's hard to complain. It was a great deal, even then.

Apparently, you weren't on RGP back then, as a lot of people were complaining... and MAN did the BSM announcement set off a firestorm back then!

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I was there. No one that got a $3300 Red Spiderman had a problem.

I remember there being a lot of complaining that the code wasn't great at the start, followed by a TON of complaining that BSM should have been announced at the same time as the original one.

The pricing wasn't crazy good back then, it was just normal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-x-mens-not-sell?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.