Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B011C526-6C14-4881-BD6A-3BAFBF3F661B.jpeg
C8CA02EE-6D29-4F3A-B83F-60E5D7BBBEB0.jpeg
20161025_183601 (resized).jpg
20170626_200240 (resized).jpg
X-Men (resized).jpg

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 years ago

Its not a very good game, hence low interest, I actually really like the layout and art, but the software and sounds really didnt work for me which is too bad.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Storm sounds exactly like the storm from the animated series-

Not at all. It's an attempt to sound like that...but by a horrible "actress" who has a very shrill voice and cannot act well. Like Beast, it's also mixed poorly and doesn't fit with the sound package.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

» YouTube video
Storm sounds exactly like the storm from the animated series- Yes,it is shitty and annoying, but so was the Storm from the animated series. Many of the other call outs were also from various X-men animation series. When Iceman says, "Juggernaut, the unstoppable Juggernaut" it was lifted straight from the "Wolverine and the X-men" cartoon.
I have no idea where they got the Beast voice from.

#154 6 years ago

I've been an Xmen owner since 1.0 code. I thought it shot well and the code was ok. Didn't mind 1.13 code and then 1.23 happened for about 5 games before I reverted back to 1.13. I didn't update until I think 1.3 then I'm sitting at 1.5 and haven't bothered with 1.51.

Xmen is a great game! It shoots nicely it isn't a total wood chop fest like they're making it out to be and teach more I enjoy. I like Phoenix mode because you start her and you can finish her multiple ways. 1 shot Phoenix twice, shot cyclops 4x, shoot wolverine 8x or a combination of the about to equal "8" shots (Phoenix worth 4x, Cyclops 2x and Wilbur 1x). Pro. X is a great mode too where you've got to know what character is which switch. Don't know it hit pro. X again and he'll tell you where to shoot with a light. Pretty damn cool mode imo!

I've never been to danger room or dark Phoenix but I still really enjoy playing the game. The call outs don't get to me and it's outlasted SM, shadow, and a whole big list of other games. Enjoy the call outs for what they are (crap and a bit of fun) as they're truely Xmen written lines.

Oh and the start to magneto multiball is EPIC! And so is the multiball rules! Shots are worth more damage to magneto if you've started a hero mode than not it's pretty damn cool rule set.

Do yourself a favour and pick one up for 5k it's pretty damn fun. I know mine won't be going anywhere.

#155 6 years ago

Oh and put in the newton ball mod it's a great mod that makes wolvie harder to hit therefore harder to start and finish but also makes beast and pro. X easier to hit

#156 6 years ago

Oh and the reason they don't sell is because people still think the game is at 1.13 or 1.23 and haven't realised that 1.5 or 1.51 is actually a pretty damn solid game. Those that do realise this don't sell. Those that really care about how good or bad a callout is and get irritated by such a thing sell. For me the sum of all the parts outweigh the one or two bad things

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not at all. It's an attempt to sound like that...but by a horrible "actress" who has a very shrill voice and cannot act well. Like Beast, it's also mixed poorly and doesn't fit with the sound package.

Even if they used the original voice it would have been crap as the voice from that cartoon was terrible. The sample I showed you was cringe worthy. That is why here voice is not as grating as Beast to me.

As to the topic- Just like people said as to why it fell to where it is:

1. Came out Over-hyped

2. Worst software launch on a machine ever. Didn't even keep the right score.

3. The great software fix to make things right, was crap.

4. Night Crawlers were locking up and Stern had to create an auxiliary board to fix.

5. The Wolverine toy is not a great toy. Most people had to cut into it to try and move him as he covered too much of the Beast lane and it is so big it is impossible to not hit it.

6. With mechanical and software problems people were selling them and taking big hits on it as potential buyers knew the problems and did not have faith they would get fixed.

7. A couple of characters have crappy voice acting that can easily be compared to good voice acting on the more recent X-men Cartoons.

8. Ice ramp did not meet expectations.

The reason we have this thread as some things have changed and people do not know the original history. Many of the things that tanked it have been addressed.

1. Software has been fixed and what was once a minus, is now a plus.

2. The pin is 5k or lower and has a lot of features (back glass, pop ups, ramps), good software (deep with lots of modes), iconic theme as is 2-3k lower than pins that are only a couple of years older. ------If you buy one for less than 5k you feel like you got a steal, if the person sells it to you is an original owner, he feels like he got robbed.-------

3. People have modded the Wolverine toy with a captive ball, making that whole shot 100 times better. Borg initially had this feature in his early concepts. Too bad he changed it.

As it stands now, it is a game that is easy to flip. It won't shoot up in value, but it also won't go down anymore as it is already on the lower end for newer Sterns. Plus there seem to be a lot on the market.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

...5. The Wolverine toy is not a great toy. Most people had to cut into it to try and move him as he covered too much of the Beast lane and it is so big it is impossible to not hit it...

again, sorry, but this is player fault !
i admit the shoot is tricky, but just play better and you'll get it (as lot others shoots between bumpers)

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

i admit the shoot is tricky, but just play better and you'll get it (as lot others shoots between bumpers)

If it's working right, but the Wolverine toy tends to lean to the side once it gets bashed enough, which interferes with the Xavier shot. Wolverine is a bad design. The captive ball is the way that should be set up.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

The main point is it's too easy to hit and start weapon-x. With the captive ball in place it makes wolvie a more deliberate shot. I and most others (maybe all, but I avoid superlatives) who have changed it note that it does not in any way feel like cheating. It feels like it BALANCES the toy. Takes away the too-easy and stupidly-blocky and replaces with more deliberate gameplay on both counts.

#161 6 years ago

well, its nothing against those who prefer to replace it with a captive ball (ps : i had carrots flippers on my GB) for what you've said

its just the fact that people cant say xmen is bad because that shoot is hard (for their playing skill)
and lets admit, not only that shoot, as xmen got some really hard ones, its not an easy pinball
i really think its the main reason why "lambda" people cant go with this title

#162 6 years ago

Was thinking of picking up an LE..... Either that or Hulk what do you guys prefer.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Was thinking of picking up an LE..... Either that or Hulk what do you guys prefer.

i think that for Avengers, you should go PRO
and for xmen, LE is better (again that spinning disc/magnet)

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

X-Men LE is loaded like nothing since.

#165 6 years ago

If I was to sum up my opinion.

I love the artwork on the LE, if I was keeping just for looks this would never leave.
I like the voice acting and the callouts. Storm was great, Beast was good (IMO).
I loved the Villain modes.

My problem was the code was a bit unpolished. I didn't like that you could restart defeated Heroes because this could put a roadblock if you are trying to just complete Storm for example. I know 'play better' but Imo if there was one little option the said restart completed heroes yes/no. That would have made it better to me.

my main problem is that I didn't really love Weapon X MB and that is played a lot (too much) didn't like the Wolverine figurine either and didn't modify my game because I am not handy like that (it seems like a lot of work).

I enjoy more another game like Tron while the layout is similar but maybe. little bit easier to more smooth without the NC or the moving ramp or the extra shot crammed in for XM.

TWD is more fun, Tspp is more fun, IM, Met, Lotr, SM are more fun. So while XMLE is not bad, I'd rather play those other pins.

Tspp I can play different modes and different objectives so the front end is not always the same.

I think the other pins I listed in the same price range as XMLE have a bit more polished rules. I am not saying the rules of XM are horrible but they are just OK, there is a lot of stuff to do and can be a lot of fun but IMO they don't get my heart pounding so feel more like work.

I realize all pins have can be a grind, but some pins make that grind more fun than others.

This is just my opinion and I owned it for 4 years.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

It's not the players fault that I have gone through 2 unaltered figures because of the ripping of the plastic in the back of the Wolverine because of how many hits it takes.

It is not the players fault that starting the Wolverine mode, or just the Wolverine shot in general, is the easiest shot ever created in pinball. I really can't think of an easier shot in ANY pinball machine. It is 2 times easier than hitting the saucer in AFM.

Any shot that encompasses an orbit between pop bumpers is tricky, but satisfying. Hitting a giant Wolverine figure 5 inches from the flipper is not satisfying. The captive ball mod helps alleviate that problem. The trade off is opening up the beast orbit.

Difference in Captive Ball v. Wolverine Bash Toy:

Captive Ball = little easier Beast shot, still tricky- little harder Wolverine shot

Wolverine Bash Toy = Little harder Beast shot - Stupid easy Wolverine shot

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Only if it's set up to the millimeter in a way where it isn't in the way of the Beast shot, Xavier shot, letting balls get stuck on it, or getting hit by the Ice ramp. Wolverine has to be attached SO specifically for it to not screw up SOMETHING, and even when he is - due to the materials, he's gonna get loose or tear on the back - especially on location. Every Xmen I've seen on location, he's leaning over into the pop bumper shot and you literally cannot make it.

I went thru 3 Wolverines when I had the game - cuz he would keep sagging or tearing on his back where he was attached.

BTW - that reminds me of something - Wolverine has a light bulb in his head - but the plastic is too opaque and you can't see it lighting up. One more insane design decision on this game lol ....

#168 6 years ago

I will never tire of Deadpool saying, "Omega Red wets his bed....and he's very embarrassed." LOL

#169 6 years ago

I've never adjusted anything with my wolverine and I don't see any problems with it. The machine was on route for a little while before I bought it, so it has had it's share of play. The Beast and Xavier shots are tight because of it, but I like that, it poses a challenge. And when my non-pinball friends play it, they love it because they can get a multiball every time they play and they love it. It's not hard to not hit the Wolverine, and I'm not all that good at pinball, good players should have no trouble. I pretty much never start multiball until I start a villian mode and bring the multiball into it. You just have to be aware of what you are doing.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

I've never adjusted anything with my wolverine and I don't see any problems with it. The machine was on route for a little while before I bought it, so it has had it's share of play. The Beast and Xavier shots are tight because of it, but I like that, it poses a challenge. And when my non-pinball friends play it, they love it because they can get a multiball every time they play and they love it. It's not hard to not hit the Wolverine, and I'm not all that good at pinball, good players should have no trouble. I pretty much never start multiball until I start a villian mode and bring the multiball into it. You just have to be aware of what you are doing.

Excuse me, you have a pro. XMLE should have been set up like the pro, but the claws interfered with the moving ramp so Stern instead of re molding the arm, just turned the whole figurine which changes the whole geometry. I can still make Beast or Xavier shot but they both are a bit more difficult especially Beast and just glancing off Wolverine counts as a hit which can start Weapon X when you were only trying to make an orbit shot to the upper flipper.

Even if Stern had made a new figurine with a more slim profile and sold it aftermarket that would have been ok with me.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Excuse me, you have a pro. XMLE should have been set up like the pro, but the claws interfered with the moving ramp so Stern instead of re molding the arm, just turned the whole figurine which changes the whole geometry. I can still make Beast or Xavier shot but they both are a bit more difficult especially Beast and just glancing off Wolverine counts as a hit which can start Weapon X when you were only trying to make an orbit shot to the upper flipper.
Even if Stern had made a new figurine with a more slim profile and sold it aftermarket that would have been ok with me.

My mistake, the only LE I played had the Wolverine replaced with a captive ball, I didn't realize the LE had a different configuration. I'll add this the list of reasons why I don't like the LE.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Played both Avengers LE is ALOT better and much nicer. The Hulk edition is a really great art package.

Never played a xmen le though.. just a pro.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Hmmm, interesting. IMO, I prefer the opposite (and I put my money where my mouth is).

X-Men Pro has the best art package to me, as it has multiple characters all over the place. It's not Wolvie or Magneto, it's X-Men! I also prefer the smoothness and challenge of the non-moving Iceman ramp, and don't miss the NC pop-ups. Only thing I feel I miss from the LE is the disc.

For Avengers, the LE is the way to go, as it has the mode-dependent GI (which is cool), the Hawkeye cross-over arrow, and it doesn't have the Cap shield inserts in the wrong place like the Pro.

Either way you go, both games have awesome ColorDMD programming. Really makes the games come alive...

Later,
EV

#174 6 years ago

I would love to get an X-Men LE...but the nightmare stories about the Wolverine figure kept me away.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Played both Avengers LE is ALOT better and much nicer. The Hulk edition is a really great art package.
Never played a xmen le though.. just a pro.

I've owned both, and I much prefer Avengers! Avengers has tight shots so there can sometimes be a bit of flailing, but I still enjoy it. There are more toys on X-Men, but somehow it seems like more is less when you're playing Weapon X over and over again as well as already completed X-Men.

#176 6 years ago

still dont understand why using "thumbs down" when we are sharing talks friendly & exposing our points of view... bah !

and than, i still think xmen is a hard pinball with some tricky shoot or combo needeed

now, about the wolve toy really leaning on the left (not just a little due to the moving ramp design), ok, i can understand that of course
on mine Magneto, didnt get this prob, neither on the 2 LE Wolverine edition i have meet/played

#177 6 years ago

All this talk about Xmen is making me want to buy one! I'm a huge fan of the animated series, so the theme is right up my alley. From what I've seen (haven't seen one in person) the machine looks like it has fantastic artwork. I need to find one nearby to play. If a little modification is what it takes to make it play better, then I'm all for it. Sounds like a winner to me.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

still dont understand why using "thumbs down" when we are sharing talks friendly & exposing our points of view... bah !

It's easier to hit a button to disagree than to respond to every statement. If you don't like upvotes/downvotes, it's a function you can turn off in Pinside's settings.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I would love to get an X-Men LE...but the nightmare stories about the Wolverine figure kept me away.

Just get the captive ball mod. It is reversible if you do not like it.

Quoted from rai:

That's why I have seen people cut into the back to position him like the pro. The pro set up is perfect. If it wasn't for the Ice Man ramp, they could have kept the same Wolverine.

Still, with the fixes/mods I finally feel the game is what it should be.

#180 6 years ago

I really enjoy my Xmen pro. Lots of shots and lots to get through to finish it.
I'm a fan of the animated series so i like the theme, the music and the callouts. And the art is great!

I have played an LE a couple of times and honestly didn't enjoy it as much because of the changes they had made. The placement of Wolverine, that stupid ramp that, in my opinion, doesn't add much and i wasn't a big fan of the pop up Night Crawlers.
But in saying that, wolverine is way too big and easy to hit, which is good for casual players but can get frustrating for better players.

1 month later
#181 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I had to repair my Wolvie twice. On the 2nd repair, I stored him in the cabinet and installed the MezelMods newton ball. Best thing I ever did. Makes Wolvie a precise shot and now I actually try for the Gambit hurry-up (obtainable with the newton ball mod).

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I had to repair my Wolvie twice. On the 2nd repair, I stored him in the cabinet and installed the MezelMods newton ball. Best thing I ever did. Makes Wolvie a precise shot and now I actually try for the Gambit hurry-up (obtainable with the newton ball mod).

Anyone have success with the mezel mod belt protector thingy?

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Winner.

I can nail the Gambit shot 9/10 times now.

The game plays as it should have from the factory IMO.

rd

#184 6 years ago

I loved the layout but ended up selling it because the voice call outs were absolute garbage. It sounded like a high school project. Sounds are an important part of the game and often overlooked. The last time I heard sound this bad was '24'.

1 month later
#185 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

I loved the layout but ended up selling it because the voice call outs were absolute garbage. It sounded like a high school project. Sounds are an important part of the game and often overlooked. The last time I heard sound this bad was '24'.

Have you played TWD? Great fun to play.... good soundtrack, but call-outs & sfx not stellar. (IMHO)

XM call outs were definitely going for family-friendly campy humor. If they weren't Deadpool would have been dropping F-bombs and definitely would have have referred to the White Queen as a 'frigid c*nt'......which would have been hilarious.

#186 6 years ago

LOL at this thread. I've had a wtb post for several weeks and only a couple nibbles. Where are all the x men FS?

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

LOL at this thread. I've had a wtb post for several weeks and only a couple nibbles. Where are all the x men FS?

there's one here, not too far from you and a good price on an LE.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-x-men-le-15#post-4038563

#188 6 years ago

Same here... I had to drive 12 hours to finally grab a wolverine.... and it's not going anywhere as it's loaded for the price. I never dealt with the poor code that ruined the game early on so I'm coming in fresh and I love it. Highly recommended!

#189 6 years ago

This one always had my number. I feel am i pretty good pinballer, but this game hurts feelings in the deep places you dont talk about at parties. ;-p

#190 6 years ago

I loved my Wolvie. I had to sell to make money on a house repair. I miss it and will eventually get one back. I like the fact you couldn't just wail away and expect to get anywhere. At least not if you made some adjustments like turning off Hero Stacking.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Even if they used the original voice it would have been crap as the voice from that cartoon was terrible. The sample I showed you was cringe worthy. That is why here voice is not as grating as Beast to me.
As to the topic- Just like people said as to why it fell to where it is:
1. Came out Over-hyped
2. Worst software launch on a machine ever. Didn't even keep the right score.
3. The great software fix to make things right, was crap.
4. Night Crawlers were locking up and Stern had to create an auxiliary board to fix.
5. The Wolverine toy is not a great toy. Most people had to cut into it to try and move him as he covered too much of the Beast lane and it is so big it is impossible to not hit it.
6. With mechanical and software problems people were selling them and taking big hits on it as potential buyers knew the problems and did not have faith they would get fixed.
7. A couple of characters have crappy voice acting that can easily be compared to good voice acting on the more recent X-men Cartoons.
8. Ice ramp did not meet expectations.
The reason we have this thread as some things have changed and people do not know the original history. Many of the things that tanked it have been addressed.
1. Software has been fixed and what was once a minus, is now a plus.
2. The pin is 5k or lower and has a lot of features (back glass, pop ups, ramps), good software (deep with lots of modes), iconic theme as is 2-3k lower than pins that are only a couple of years older. ------If you buy one for less than 5k you feel like you got a steal, if the person sells it to you is an original owner, he feels like he got robbed.-------
3. People have modded the Wolverine toy with a captive ball, making that whole shot 100 times better. Borg initially had this feature in his early concepts. Too bad he changed it.
As it stands now, it is a game that is easy to flip. It won't shoot up in value, but it also won't go down anymore as it is already on the lower end for newer Sterns. Plus there seem to be a lot on the market.

Let us not forget the issue with the phantom flashing of the inlane insert that was caused by some strange magnetic interference. There was an advisory notice issued have to "re-dress" the wiring harness (i.e. cut the existing zip ties and spread out the wiring) or replace that small section of harness with one sent out by Stern. Personally I think they needed some ferrite cores.

#192 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-x-men-pro-1#post-4036534

#193 6 years ago

Well, when I started the thread, there were several LE’s just sitting in the low 5K range on pinside. Every so often, they got their prices lowered a hundred bucks and they still sat. I ended up buying an extremely low play Magnito for a very good price (since they were 6 plus K NIB). My thoughts are this game is a great buy for people that like strategy games , deep rules that has a lot of shots. Two mods are a MUST! The Newton ball and upgraded speakers. I also put in a color DMD (worth it), shaker ( worth it) , LED flashers, and illuminated Flipper buttons.

The Newton ball mod has been discussed several times and I agree 100 percent it just opens up the play field. I bought blue post rubbers and painted the top of the Newton ball assembly a matching blue. I will leave it like that.

The bigger improvement for me was the FF speaker upgrade. As in most Stern pins, you do not hear a lot of the sound track with the stock speakers. BIG DIFFERENCE! Also I was not as bothered by the Beast / Storm voices ,as others , but I will say that they do sound better with the bass improvement in the speakers. The Storm shots are my favorite when hitting the bumpers or thru the spinner.

What else impressed me with X men is the multitude of call outs. Yes some of them are Corny ,but, I read some where there are about 1000 of them. I have played about 100 games and every time I hear something new and I haven’t gotten that deep yet. Also you can select villain modes, play different hero mode strategies and the start of the Magnito multi ball with 4 balls spinning on the magnet is real cool. The dead pool feature also is pretty novel and helps the non skilled players such as myself. Love the unique combo’s as well.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this purchase. If you are looking for one , skip the old hate about code and the voices. Listen to the guys who really are into this game and why they feel so. They are correct in my opinion. Funny , just today One of my pinside buddies already offered to make a deal on mine ( it is not going anywhere). Buy one and enjoy. Sully

6 months later
#194 5 years ago

TLDR: Wolverine kicks ass. And holds his own against Eddie.

In the next few weeks I’m getting my Wolverine back, and getting an Iron Maiden Premium. Both will be home for a good while...

I’m a lot more excited to get my Wolvy back, a machine that I’ve owned before, over maiden- the newest and hottest and what has to be one the most well received newly launched pin I’ve seen.

Several points made above that I agree with.

I can’t wait to have Wolvy and (rumored)Deadpool next to each other both at home and at My Parents Basement eventually.

1 month later
#195 5 years ago

Wolvy doing his thing in the wild

B011C526-6C14-4881-BD6A-3BAFBF3F661B.jpegB011C526-6C14-4881-BD6A-3BAFBF3F661B.jpegC8CA02EE-6D29-4F3A-B83F-60E5D7BBBEB0.jpegC8CA02EE-6D29-4F3A-B83F-60E5D7BBBEB0.jpeg
#196 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I ended up buying an extremely low play Magnito for a very good price (since they were 6 plus K NIB). My thoughts are this game is a great buy for people that like strategy games , deep rules that has a lot of shots. Two mods are a MUST!

Congrats on getting an XM. As I’ve said before this is a great and massively under appreciated game.

#197 5 years ago

I cant wait to play mine again...temporarily wrapped.....so much more in this game than realized, and a tough MF to beat.
Havent tired of this game since it came out!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-x-mens-not-sell/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.