Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B011C526-6C14-4881-BD6A-3BAFBF3F661B.jpeg
C8CA02EE-6D29-4F3A-B83F-60E5D7BBBEB0.jpeg
20161025_183601 (resized).jpg
20170626_200240 (resized).jpg
X-Men (resized).jpg

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I still counted 15-17 NIB every week on Ebay. Can't recall any game from Stern where that has happened.

They aren't there now. Regardless, you'd see many more than that of other titles for sale if Stern built their entire run of some other games like Mustang or WWE. Transformers had a boat load for sale for years and it's still easy to get TF LE NIB.

BBH, TRS, WOF, Avengers LE or Avatar LE are really games nobody wants and rates the best. X-Men has a lot of fans. Heck X-Men nearly beat Spider-Man in a recent pinside poll - lost 50% to 45%. XM has a lot of people that love it.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

I really like the game, but the callouts wear me out.

Why I sold mine. Lot's of shots, nice code, callouts become nails on a chalkboard. Fun to own for a short time.

#53 6 years ago

Seems a lot of adjectives describing XMEN seem to echo polarizing comments on GB too, and I enjoy both titles!!
Oh well, looks like I picked the wrong time to get rich in pinball.

#54 6 years ago

Xmen is a great game, good flow, decent rule set and nice artwork. The pro is the way to go on this, the moving ramp blocks views and is a pain to play with. The pop ups don't really do much and get in the way of the flow. Pros around 3500 are a steal.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They aren't there now.

Well I would hope not, the game has been out for over 5 years now.

#56 6 years ago

My Magneto LE is still listed at $4,750...but comes down tonight.
Was never eager to sell...but had this the longest out of my DMD's, and could use some cash for the fall.

I'm sort of shocked it did not sell.
Game is not for everybody, I get that, but to say it's not a good game is just silly.
It's a deep and hard game - one of Stern's longest and most difficult, and that often steers people away I guess.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

XMen is the opposite of chopping wood, it's very easy to start and complete modes. There are a lot of modes. Transformers is chopping wood (hit Starscream five times to start then seven times to finish...).

I really don't understand why Stern doesn't make a simple code fix for Transformers in this regard. Let the user configure modes the way they want them (number of shots, stacking or no stacking, etc). They did this for Avengers and X-men and for me it changed the games.

#58 6 years ago

Owned it and enjoyed it for a while then lost interest and sold. Have to agree its a decent game, and I loved xmen as a kid, but just didnt want to play it anymore after a few months. But I tend more towards games like Fish Tales, T2, Getaway etc where you can score big and have a good game without progressing through so many modes.
Have to go along with a couple of the "wood- chopping" comments above.
Of course this is just my opinion, i know a lot of you guys like mode based games.

#59 6 years ago

after seeing an ad on craigslist for TWD I made an offer, then I went and snatched it up. The game was in mint condition, the guy said his kids were the only ones who ever played it when they came twice a year for holidays. The owner asked me If I wanted to buy his Xmen LE as well. I wasn't interested for the price $6950. After a few days, he called me and asked what I thought he should sell it at. I sent him the link for the archived ads on pinside for X-men LE's. Since it was upstairs, and it wasn't really a title I was looking for I offered $4400. I believe it was the wolverine one signed by JDM.

He didn't go for it, and relisted it for $5950. Felt for the guy since he didn't know anything about pinball and he bought it from a local distributor for probably close to 8k after taxes. Local is great if you have to have the game that day, but it's not worth the extra cost. Starting to find that buying pins on the secondary market saves a pretty insane amount of money for most titles.

#60 6 years ago

the le is killer and with no premiums there is only 250 mags and 300 wolverines.bought my magneto new for 6400.00 and will loose nothing because I am never selling it.

#61 6 years ago

I'm puzzled since I sold my le for less than $5k likely absorbed most of the depreciation so next owners can sell for under $5k with minimal loss of cash.

It's the sticking point of the first owners taking the horrendous loss up to $2000 is not an easy pill to swallow.

IMO if you get it for good price sell it for a bit of a loss.

#62 6 years ago

I had an XMLE and with the ColorDMD I thought it was a great looking and very fun game. I thought the modes were thought out and I enjoyed trying to beat the villains. Ultimately I sold it to try something else, but if my wife liked playing it then we might still have it. We're having WAY more fun with Mustang instead though.

#63 6 years ago

To each there own. IMHO it is an under rated game. I bought a Pro after playing quite a bit on location and I quite enjoy it. It really seems to attract kids on location (must do well for ops). It really did get a bad rap - Stern definitely screwed up that release - probably worst ever. All models seem to sell for an affordable price - so buy it, try it, if you don't like it sell it, if you like it play the heck out of it until you get bored - you won't lose much money.

Yeah some of the callout voices aren't great but doesn't bother me like iot does some folks.

Keep on Flippin!

#64 6 years ago

I def want one but can't decide between it or a Spider Man VE

#65 6 years ago

I can't understand the hate for this game. There are so many shots and with the magnets and spinning disk as well as the moving ramp make ball travel unpredictable and no two games are the same. That's why I like it but I suspect that's the reason some people don't like it because they want to cradle the ball on the flipper for a half hour and know exactly where the ball will be. I've seen too many people so obsessed with their high score that they can't just enjoy a game. I bought one used for $5500 last year and I'm still amazed that a pinball with so many awesome toys and modes can be had for that price. It wasn't even a machine I was interested in until I played my first game on a magneto Le on location and fell in love with it. I'm not worried about loosing money on it because it's not going anywhere.

#66 6 years ago

Xmen is a great game- if someone wants to sell me one please pm me. Prefer local but okay with shipping. Magneto or Wolverine ill take either one

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Here was a recent thread comparing the two titles. Considering how many more of the voters likely own a SM than an XM (since so many more SMs were made), I view the poll as a resounding victory for XM.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-vault-vs-xmen-magneto-edition

#68 6 years ago

I bought a magneto NIB. Kept it a few months [under 6] and traded it to a friend locally. He kept it a few months and traded it.
While it's not Sterns worst game, it just wasn't anywhere near a keeper for me. I'm not really a Marvel/superhero fan and the callouts were just terribly done on this one.

Because I try and say something nice when I say something derogatory, the backglass and artwork on Magneto is extremely well done.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I have been thinking about buying an Xmen for some time now. I have been watching the for sale ad 's and they seem to sit. What am I missing? Seems like a really cool game .

Love my pro.

#70 6 years ago

As a pre-order NIB buyer, I can vouch that there were a lot of legit reasons to be disappointed in the game initially and develop a permanent dislike for it. Not only was the code bad for a very long time, one big release actually made it worse. The earliest games, mine of course, had Wolverine figurine positioning problems where they had butchered the back of the figure installing it at the factory and it still blocked all but a perfect shot by it. Then there was the bad board, which took some time to sort out and the "shitty Beast" voice. The LE seemed full of features, but the moving ramp frequently rewarded me with a ball too early and immediate drain.

I love the X-Men so it was a great theme to me and a spectacularly beautiful game, which seemed to have tons of cool features. I think that's what made my experience such a tragedy. In any case, by the end I couldn't play more than one game before walking away disgusted. After a year of it covered in a sheet most of the time, I took a giant financial hit selling it, as one last indignation. Shortest game ever in my collection and the only game that I won't ever play again, even if I found one set on free-play. If I were to land in hell, an X-Men Pinball machine would probably be glowing red within permanent eyeshot.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Well at least the quotes suck in SMVE as bad as XMEN, so pretty even comparison. If you were deciding between an original SM and XMEN, that's an easy decision - SM.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

In any case, by the end I couldn't play more than one game before walking away disgusted. After a year of it covered in a sheet most of the time, **I took a giant financial hit selling it**.

this sums it up, I didn't want to sell it at a huge loss but nobody would pay. In fact when anyone can get IM, SM, Met pro, TWD pro for ~$5K (or less) they would rather those great games than pay $5K for XMLE.

It's not what it cost it's what its worth. And the market told me it was worth less than $5K (much like TF LE, TAV LE, WWE LE) so many owners who bought for closer to $7K don't want to face the fact it's worth closer to $4900 IMO.

It reminds me of the scene in TWD where the biker gang...

"When you have to eat Sh!^, best not to nibble. Bite, chew, swallow repeat. Goes quicker"

I found selling XMLE was much like that, best not to nibble.

The point I was saying is if you bought it second or third for a good price you won't have as much loss money wise.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Here was a recent thread comparing the two titles. Considering how many more of the voters likely own a SM than an XM (since so many more SMs were made), I view the poll as a resounding victory for XM.

I don't think they have sold many SM vaults.

#74 6 years ago

Xmens probably don't sell because when someone decides they want one, they come to pinside for their due diligence and read all this stuff about horrific call outs, swinging ramp failure nightmares and then to come across a thread like this that probably doesn't boost your confidence that you could ever sell the game...I mean just the title of this thread is terrifying...

#75 6 years ago

XMen was right at the peak of the new money surging into the hobby and the hype engine was maxxed. As such, it's one of the early games that was probably sold dominantly to home buyers instead of the mix of operators/home. As such, most of the inventory is from people who paid NIB prices... and they don't want to take the losses or think all pins appreciate.

Combine this with it being one of the weaker titles, that has a ton of BETTER games out afterwards... the demand isn't there.

High prices with low demand = games that don't sell.

The same thing happened in the hobby market for 90s games too.. which is why we have these titles we call B or C titles from the WPC era. Those games would be depressed in value and hard to sell compared to their peers. It wasn't until 10 years later when supply got so tight compared to all the new buyers flooding the market that the value for those pins started to pickup and be closer to their popular peers.

Xmen and TFs are both examples of the new Gomez Stern that tried to go big with presentation... and were just not that fun to play... especially compared to titles that came after.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

XMen was right at the peak of the new money surging into the hobby and the hype engine was maxxed. As such, it's one of the early games that was probably sold dominantly to home buyers instead of the mix of operators/home. As such, most of the inventory is from people who paid NIB prices... and they don't want to take the losses or think all pins appreciate.
Combine this with it being one of the weaker titles, that has a ton of BETTER games out afterwards... the demand isn't there.
High prices with low demand = games that don't sell.
The same thing happened in the hobby market for 90s games too.. which is why we have these titles we call B or C titles from the WPC era. Those games would be depressed in value and hard to sell compared to their peers. It wasn't until 10 years later when supply got so tight compared to all the new buyers flooding the market that the value for those pins started to pickup and be closer to their popular peers.
Xmen and TFs are both examples of the new Gomez Stern that tried to go big with presentation... and were just not that fun to play... especially compared to titles that came after.

I am genuinely curious as to why you think X-Men is not fun to play? I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but it looks more packed with toys and shots than any modern stern, including games like GOT and the new Star Wars. I've watched at least a dozen videos and the pin looks fantastic. Is it just the theme people can't get past?

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

XMen was right at the peak of the new money surging into the hobby and the hype engine was maxxed.

I think this combined with Tron and ACDC right before it going for a couple grand more than they were bought for helped. I remember people specifically saying that they were buying this game to flip it. Heard the same thing when Avengers came out and people were "gambling" that it would be better than Xmen.

I guess there could be another Tron LE that could fetch you thousands more than you bought it for, but I'll let you guys take the risk on that, lol. It sucks because....actually let me pose a question. If people stopped preordering from Stern, would they close their doors or would they take their time to make quality games?

I'm actually going to make a topic on this.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

but it looks more packed with toys and shots than any modern stern, including games like GOT and the new Star Wars.

It is.

I've watched at least a dozen videos and the pin looks fantastic.

It is.

Is it just the theme people can't get past?

I went over the reasons on the previous page. Check it out.

Another reason I didn't mention, XMEN LE was the original "10k by christmas!" game ... it came out after Tron LE and AC/DC BinB started selling for crazy money. A lot of people purchased the game thinking they were going to coin up a good profit. When that didn't happen, you have some bummed out buyers.

Go buy an XMen LE for $5k. You can't go wrong. Personally I prefer the LE to the pro, I like the ramp, the disc, the pop up nightcrawlers, and the art is some of Sterns coolest. The Pro is still a solid game though.

rd

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well at least the quotes suck in SMVE as bad as XMEN, so pretty even comparison. If you were deciding between an original SM and XMEN, that's an easy decision - SM.

Agree.
I like the look of SMVE but the callouts on the original are just so much better.

#80 6 years ago

I am genuinely curious as to why you think X-Men is not fun to play?

Because when I play it... I don't feel the urge to play it more. It's just not satisifying. Hobbit is the same way, loaded, but just not fun.

The sound isn't great... the dots are cool, but the game play just doesn't really bite you.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Go buy an XMen LE for $5k. You can't go wrong. Personally I prefer the LE to the pro, I like the ramp, the disc, the pop up nightcrawlers, and the art is some of Sterns coolest. The Pro is still a solid game though.
rd

The LE is definitely the way to go with XMEN. There are a handful of mods that make the game look more finished (nightcrawler lights, Magneto lit hand, 12v LED for Magneto spotlight). And if you're feeling really ambitious replace the Wolverine with the newton ball kit and a smaller wolverine figure.

Still, people on route really seem to like it. It's a good earner.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I called X-Men undisguised woodchopping with not a lot of fun at the end of the woodchopping.
The woodchopping in Metallica is artfully disguised, and leads to lots of fun stuff.

Steve, I usually agree with you, but there isn't a bigger wood chopper more than MET. I've even compared MET to IJ4 and have been flamed many times but the approach to both games remains similar.
From someone that has finished MET, I can tell you I chopped that captive ball over 220 times in that game, never mind anything else.

XMEN is an amazingly fun pin, the shots are spread all over the field, the music is epic, and getting to Dark Phoenix and hearing that thing scream out is hair raising. It plays a lot like a backwards Tron with deeper rules and gameplay, and Tron is my favorite pin of all time.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

The way you start everything in X-Men is by hitting the thing you want multiple times. If you don't see the lack of imagination there and are happy to play along without getting bored, more power to you. Magneto is actually a nice exception, and I think the only one. It still leads to a boring, grindy, un-fun multiball.

Hitting a shot multiple times doesn't make a bad ruleset. Some of lymans games work that way. (Monster bash, attack from Mars, medieval).

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Where's Rarehero at? He'll soon tell you why it's no good (many, many times) lol!

I wasn't gonna say shit, but you had to go and Beetlejuice me.

The market speaks for itself. He game sits cuz it's a piece of shit. The toys are shit. The voices are shit. The rules are shit. And this shit with RD calling me out, unprovoked, for having an opinion on a shit game I owned and had tons of experience with, is the type of shit that will have me deactivating soon.

Shit.

Have fun when it's all sycophants cradling each other's balls.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I wasn't gonna say shit, but you had to go and Beetlejuice me.

Beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!!

You know deep down you love it.

Now, I need to go find a Hobbit thread to tell everyone how much I hate that POS.

rd

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!!

You know deep down you love it.
Now, I need to go find a Hobbit thread to tell everyone how much I hate that POS.
rd

Trolls gonna troll.

#87 6 years ago

I had the Pro and enjoyed it for awhile, upgraded to the Wolverine LE to get more toys. Got a good offer on it recently and let it go. It broke up my Superhero wall.
I'm the end the callouts and music killed it for me. Also the scoop seems to chip super easy even with a Cliffy protector on it.

20161025_183601 (resized).jpg20161025_183601 (resized).jpg

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I had the Pro and enjoyed it for awhile, upgraded to the Wolverine LE to get more toys. Got a good offer on it recently and let it go. It broke up my Superhero wall.
I wouldn't mind having it back again at some point though. Great artwork!
I'm the end the callouts and music killed it for me. Also the scoop seems to chip super easy even with a Cliffy protector on it.

#89 6 years ago

I will never understand the inherit need for some people to slam pins. Just doesn't seem right to tell someone who spend quite a bit of money that 'their purchase is sh*t'.
Not something I will participate in anytime soon.

I own an XM:Magneto since day 1. Been through the code waiting period. Glad that I stuck it out, as I really enjoy the deeper ruleset on the game. Danger Room is a fun Wizard Mode, very satisfying to reach. Haven't made it to Dark Phoenix yet.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Actually Spiderman VE get a lot of hate from original Spiderman owners. I owned Wolverine #2 and this is my second Spiderman. I like them both but Spiderman VE is a better game in my opinion

#91 6 years ago

I had one and was able to trade it very fast. That was 2 years ago. It is a fun game, just awfull voice work was my only complaint. The oversized wolverine was too big for it too. I just sold a few machines, but not nearly as many people contacted me about them as usual. There are alot of machines for sale and that is not helping xmen owners at all.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

If you don't see the lack of imagination there and are happy to play along without getting bored, more power to you.

Isn't this EVERY game that's ever been made by Stern? Avatar, Iron Man, IJ4, BBH, Transformers, FREAKING TRON IS THE SAME WAY!?!? IT'S THE EXACT BLOODY SAME AS TRON, with MORE modes, and yet it's getting called out on software?!?

How do you start Quorra? Oh yeah, shoot Quorra 3 times.
How do you start Gem? Oh yeah, shoot Gem 3 times.
How do you start Disc? Oh yeah shoot the drop bank 3 times then the disc a bunch of times.
Lightcycle? Shoot 3 lit cycle shots.
Multiple combos available in Tron and X-men? Check.

How is that ANY different? You're telling me you feel like Sea of Sim and the fact there's a visible ladder there on the playfield is *that* important that it makes the rules vastly different? Come on, man. o_O;; We all know the worst parts of X-men are the Wolverine placement..which is fixable in multiple ways, the chopping at those standup targets, and the voiceovers...which unfortunately is going to be a lot harder to fix until some people with actual chops donate their time to re-record them and there can be a community sound pack.

It's NOT the code.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I will never understand the inherit need for some people to slam pins.

This is an opinion thread. People don't always share the same opinion. I'll never understand the need for some people to slam PEOPLE for slamming pins.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Isn't this EVERY game that's ever been made by Stern? Avatar, Iron Man, IJ4, BBH, Transformers, FREAKING TRON IS THE SAME WAY!?!? IT'S THE EXACT BLOODY SAME AS TRON, with MORE modes, and yet it's getting called out on software?!?
How do you start Quorra? Oh yeah, shoot Quorra 3 times.
How do you start Gem? Oh yeah, shoot Gem 3 times.
How do you start Disc? Oh yeah shoot the drop bank 3 times then the disc a bunch of times.
Lightcycle? Shoot 3 lit cycle shots.
Multiple combos available in Tron and X-men? Check.
How is that ANY different? You're telling me you feel like Sea of Sim and the fact there's a visible ladder there on the playfield is *that* important that it makes the rules vastly different? Come on, man. o_O;; We all know the worst parts of X-men are the Wolverine placement..which is fixable in multiple ways, the chopping at those standup targets, and the voiceovers...which unfortunately is going to be a lot harder to fix until some people with actual chops donate their time to re-record them and there can be a community sound pack.
It's NOT the code.

Good news... there is more to a rules set then how modes are qualified!

#95 6 years ago

Interesting discussion. As with most pins - "Fun" is in the hands of the player. Each of us (for whatever reason) gravitates toward pins that they personally find fun. We can all try and explain it but we shouldn't attack others views personally just because we don't understand or agree with them. Expressing an opinion about how you feel (towards a pin) isn't right/wrong it is just a manner to try and help others understand why you feel this way. However, it often ends up in a personal attack when people feel frustrated that they can't get others to understand their feelings or are attacked on a personal level. So come on folks, let's not talk about our feelings (that is what we have our shrinks for) - this is our hobby and hobbies should be for enjoying together with friends (new and old).

Some pins just pull you in - SS, Xmen, Tron, LOTR, JM, IM do that for me. TSPP (and I love the show) just doesn't and no I can't really explain why - it just doesn't. However, a lot of my friends love TSPP - and yet I still call them my friends.

So get out there and play a little Xmen - or better yet record some new voices for Beast & Storm - so that I can really love this pin.

And if you really don't like XMen then go beat yourself in the head with a sock full of rusty pinballs until you do. Disclaimer: Now that is just plain funny sarcasm right there and in no way should be taken seriously. Really, don't try that at home as I can't afford a lawyer right now and besides most of you can't afford socks without holes (because you spend too much on pins) and a pinball might fly out of the sock and hit your spouse - and then you would have no more pins at your home - and be forced to play poorly maintained location pins. (shudder).

Flip-on!

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This is an opinion thread. People don't always share the same opinion. I'll never understand the need for some people to slam PEOPLE for slamming pins.

Furthermore, this thread is asking, "Why does this game suck?"

You won't see me wandering into the X-Men Is Awesome thread telling those people why they're wrong. It's not constructive. But here we are in a "What's wrong with the game" thread, so that's the whole point.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

... have never read a comic book, any comic book.

My condolences...

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

"Why does this game suck?"

Bad (terrible in Storm's case!) callouts.
Wolverine mounting and size are kind of nuts.
Wolverine multiball way too easy to repeat qualify, boring to play, and blocks other advancement.
Chopping near-flipper-and-outlane targets OVER..and OVER...and OVER again to get to Brotherhood/Hellfire Club.
Iceman. Not the ramp, just Iceman. That guy is a dick.

Lock thread.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

And kept Avengers? Having owned both games, I can't fathom keeping Avengers over X-Men and I like the actual Avengers movies way more than the X-Men comics. Avengers was one of my most disappointing games in hindsight, even with the code update it just had zero imagination with the ruleset...it was like X-Men hero section changed to avengers and then made to shoot the same shot for the hero over and over and over.

#100 6 years ago

seems evbd is right... while we all have diff feeling, and waits from a game, simple as that
sometimes you wanna go for a rush game, sometime something deeper...

i had fun playing Xmen, and i also have fun now playing Avengers, which is home actually
(of course, let's forget the fact that this one have to be tweaked and playing 100% to be enjoyed)

i wouldnt say "lack of imagination", but more the code is right in Lonnie style... you'll know what you will get without any surprise
and it could seems poor at first stage, but the aim is to reach battles, and than finish them all to go to WM (lets admit not lot of guys have done it)... i'm quite sure a lambda players will NOT start 1 single battle in 100 games
than OK, game may seem bad at this stage, but is it game fault ? or player fault ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-x-mens-not-sell/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.