Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B011C526-6C14-4881-BD6A-3BAFBF3F661B.jpeg
C8CA02EE-6D29-4F3A-B83F-60E5D7BBBEB0.jpeg
20161025_183601 (resized).jpg
20170626_200240 (resized).jpg
X-Men (resized).jpg

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

I have been thinking about buying an Xmen for some time now. I have been watching the for sale ad 's and they seem to sit. What am I missing? Seems like a really cool game .

#2 6 years ago

Because there are literally a million Stern games flooding the market, the lesser sought after ones tend to sit due to supply saturation.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I have been thinking about buying an Xmen for some time now. I have been watching the for sale ad 's and they seem to sit. What am I missing? Seems like a really cool game .

In the same boat here. NONE move. Looks cool though.

#4 6 years ago

I think the looming Star Wars has/had a lot of people not buying and now a lot of people selling so they can get their machine.
Just over saturation of machines.

#5 6 years ago

They're asking too much money. It's a fantastic table, just not Stern's best.

#6 6 years ago

Maybe the bubble finally burst on them.

I'm looking for one, but not at the current rate. Probably just wait for a pro to come along. Extra 700 to 1700 for a hindering magnet, a ramp that I've seen broken on route more than once and also instant drains if you hit it wrong, and nightcrawlera that everyone says are pointless to the game aside from an extra ball, and you're left with the artwork.

They do look great, but not 1700 great in my opinion.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I have been thinking about buying an Xmen for some time now. I have been watching the for sale ad 's and they seem to sit. What am I missing?

Sounds like you are missing the transfer of cash that would bring one home.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

They're asking too much money. It's a fantastic table, just not Stern's best.

Bingo. No other reason why.

#9 6 years ago

B plus game with so many A list titles saturating the market.

#10 6 years ago

Too much $$$

#11 6 years ago

It's a decent game with a weird layout. The placement of Hugh Jackman on the playfield is just plain awkward.

I bought the Magneto just for the art and back glass and I don't regret it.

#12 6 years ago

I am in the market to buy one now. I think the game looks cool, has a great layout and the kids will enjoy it. We have a 2 pin collection, Met Pro is always staying but now we rotate the 2nd one out every 6 months or so. That's the plan anyway. I need to feel reasonably certain that I can resell the pin and not lose too much $$$ for this to work.

Looking at the past few X-Men sales it looks like $4,700 to $4,800 was the sweet spot to get it sold, and those were modded up good, I think one had a color DMD. At $5,600 or $5,400 I am not a buyer right now, when I go to resell in 6 months I'll have a hard time, most likely would have to lose $600 or more.

I do feel for these sellers, especially if they purchased it new 5 years ago, they are already losing out big, even listed over 5k they are losing pretty big.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I do feel for these sellers, especially if they purchased it new 5 years ago, they are already losing out big, even listed over 5k they are losing pretty big.

Losing 20%-30% on a toy shouldn't be a big deal.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Losing 20%-30% on a toy shouldn't be a big deal.

At the prices pins are at now it does sting though. X-Men owners are taking a $1,500 to $2,000 loss. But I guess that's just where the market ended up on this one.

#15 6 years ago

I really like the game, but the callouts wear me out.

#16 6 years ago

X-Men is at best an average game, that is why it sits more than other pins. Had an XMen LE on route and it wasn't a very good earning game. Certainly, the time of year has something to do with it as well as other pins competing for the same dollars.

#17 6 years ago

X-Men is a polarizing game. It has its fans that love it, but they probably own it (or have owned it). But outside of that group, it's a tougher sell. People don't just bring that game in on a whim. It just doesn't have casual fans. So they are harder to sell as they wait for a the right buyer.

#18 6 years ago

I have an XM pro and it's pretty polarizing just in my house. For my 22 yo son, it's his favorite pin. I like it but don't love it since I played it to death already; my young kids and wife don't like it at all. I've had it for about three or four years but I think it will be the next pin on the FS block to clear out room. I haven't made a move in several years so it will be a bit bittersweet.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

X-Men is a polarizing game. It has its fans that love it, but they probably own it (or have owned it). But outside of that group, it's a tougher sell. People don't just bring that game in on a whim. It just doesn't have casual fans. So they are harder to sell as they wait for a the right buyer.

I was going to post this almost verbatim.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It has its fans that love it

I'm one. XMLE is my favorite game and has been for a good long while. XM had a bad rap on release (and deservidly so) for crappy code, but that's been sorted out.

XM has great art featuring a real backglass (something not seen again with a Stern till AS), it's an inverted Tron layout with an extra shot, the dots are great, the music is great, the playfield is LOADED with toys that interact with the ball (seriously, Stern doesn't make games with this many features any longer), the game has many different stratigies to employ in tourney settings (there is no "just keep bashing the castle and you'll get alot of points" strat that makes it unfun in a tourney)...etc, etc, etc.

X-Men (resized).jpgX-Men (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I have an XM pro and it's pretty polarizing just in my house. For my 22 yo son, it's his favorite pin. I like it but don't love it since I played it to death already; my young kids and wife don't like it at all. I've had it for about three or four years but I think it will be the next pin on the FS block to clear out room. I haven't made a move in several years so it will be a bit bittersweet.

Well let me know when it does

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Had an XMen LE on route and it wasn't a very good earning game.

Funny, I have one on location now and it does great. But mine is a Magneto LE and it is in a pizza restaurant with a lot of kids. IMO the Magneto is more attractive and that probably helps. I also think the theme appeals to kids, which definitely helps.

#23 6 years ago

Where's Rarehero at? He'll soon tell you why it's no good (many, many times) lol!

Initial owners got burnt with shit code at launch, and even shittier code updates along the way. I had one of the first LEs off the line, I loved the game from day one due to its "shots everywhere" layout, so I stuck it out and the final code update was really good, and makes it an awesome game.

HOWEVER a lot of the initial buyers quit the game (fair enough ...) and it left a bad taste in their mouths and they are quick to tell everyone about it. If they gave the game another chance, they might like it how it is now. Then again, maybe they won't.

Some can't get over a couple of the voices. Yet they tolerate "Redneck Sam" in the Walking Dead just fine.

As far as a "$1500-$2000" loss, wasn't a new LE around the $6000 "street price" level in the States? If it was, at $5000 they are only losing $1000, which isn't bad seeing as the game is now 5 years old.

Wait till you see the losses that the latest high priced games will make ...

I agree with a poster above ... lots of other games for sale out there at the moment, it's a congested marketplace. And it's only gonna get worse with all the new product coming out.

If you can score an LE for $5000, I don't think you can go too far wrong to be honest.

rd

#24 6 years ago

They were 6400-6500 NIB.

#25 6 years ago

I think the code is pretty good on it and it has shots literally everywhere. The layout really is amazing. A few of the call outs are super lame like storm's shakespherean voice makes me want to punch her. It's a super fun game.

#26 6 years ago

Agree with RD, XMEN may appear alone on an island now, but it won't be the only pin there after awhile as the market gets flooded.
I enjoy it, but some have popped up for less.

#27 6 years ago

Why does ____ not sell?

It's priced to high.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

It is a really cool game. Honestly people are missing out if they are avoiding XM in it's current state. IMHO, there are several reasons that they do not sell well.

First is that originally the code was really bad. People remember that and equate that to the game it is today, which is leagues above and beyond what it originally was. Some of these people are still very bitter about being early adopters of XM with that horrible code and then selling for a loss before it got good and they hold a grudge and are very vocal about it. Second, they made lots of LEs and the Pro is just as good of a game as the LE is IMHO, many would argue the Pro is even the better version. The LE is pretty, but game play wise, you aren't missing out on much with the Pro, so many people don't want to pay $1,000+ for visuals over a Pro for an LE...I know I didn't. Third reason is that the LE is supposed to be the more "limited" version, but the Pro is a lot harder to find for sale. If you want an LE, you have tons of options. So many people bought the LEs originally because they were so pretty to look at and of course the XMLE was the origin of the $10,000 by Christmas saying...so people were in to flip for big $$$. If you want a Pro though, those options are much more limited. People tend to hold onto Pro's because the value is great. You get a fully featured, deep coded game with awesome art and dots and a fantastic theme...all for much less than new titles today. The most hilarious reason though to me is that some people simply cannot get over Beast and Storm's voices in the game. They throw out the baby with the bath water and condemn a whole game because of a few callouts. Are those voices the greatest, no, but not since the great Popeye whine of "I can't see the two shots" has something been so blown out of proportion and used as an excuse to condemn an entire game. Personally I'm not going ignore all the good things in a great game like this for a couple of inconsequential things like that. Of course there is now always the problem of market saturation. People have to sell to generate dollars for the newest game on the block and now that you have Spooky and JJP shipping multiple titles, Stern selling 3 new titles a year and prices climbing exponentially it seems with each one...something has to give.

I waited years to find a price on an XM pro that I was willing to pay. I love mine. It keeps me interested in a home environment because the game is so challenging, not to mention the game is very easy on the eyes. My Pro, along with many other's XM Pros, are not going anywhere anytime soon and for good reason.

#29 6 years ago

I bought a Pro, when new, and still find great joy in the game!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

X-Men is at best an average game, that is why it sits more than other pins. Had an XMen LE on route and it wasn't a very good earning game. Certainly, the time of year has something to do with it as well as other pins competing for the same dollars.

It's not like that everywhere. X-Men LE Wolverine routinely made 2x as much as Aerosmith Premium at the location I help maintain. It's currently holding its own against WoZ, which is saying something. There's a lot going on in the machine and it's a HARD game, but it has fans on location, especially if everything works right on it.

#31 6 years ago

It doesn't sell because many people are sheep and follow popular opinion.

I bought an LE simply to be different as i read some what appeared to be balanced reviews on the challenging nature of it. I absolutely love it! Heaps of shots and some of them very challenging.

Music is awesome, i find the call outs don't bother me. The moving ramp adds a more random dimension to the game, which really is what makes pinball unique...the random nature of the ball.

The mixture of modes is great. I reckon a super wizard mode if you complete danger room and dark phoenix would be great. It would be only something to aspire for as I'm not sure I'd be able to get there

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from robm:

great. I reckon a super wizard mode if you complete danger room and dark phoenix would be great. It would be only something to aspire for as I'm not sure I'd be able to get there

If you wanna see Dark Phoenix, I shot this video a while back. From memory I was one shot away from Danger Room in the same game. Video is in 2 parts because the camera stopped in the middle.

rd

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The placement of Hugh Jackman

Oh go jump in a tiger pit with that noise....all of the art on the game is from the comics, and has nothing to do with the movies. What are you, 12 years old and have never seen an actual comic book?

Quoted from robm:

challenging nature of it.

Do...wait what? I had a Magneto LE, and while it was a beautiful game with great rules, I found it to be VERY easy, and it was set up steep and outlanes open. The biggest problem for me was qualifying Hellfire Club and finishing it to get to Dark Phoenix. But seriously, it took me like all of a week to 'finish the game'. It's the same issue I had with Tron.....both times I owned it. The shots are tight, but generally safe, which doesn't make for a drainfest...at least not on the LE. You're far more likely to lose your ball off a bad magnet throw or shooting the moving Iceman ramp and having it bounce off a sling than by borking a shot. Personally, I liked the Iceman ramp, and I didn't have nearly the amount of drains and issues that other people reported with it. The Magneto backglass is f'ing amazing. If I could've sold the game without it, I would have!

Danger Room is one of the best mini-wiz modes ever, IMO. The integration with the DMD so you know where you need to shoot was smart, and then seen on later games like Star Trek and TWD.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It's a decent game with a weird layout. The placement of Hugh Jackman on the playfield is just plain awkward.
I bought the Magneto just for the art and back glass and I don't regret it.

Agreed, Huge Jackman-Wolverine

#35 6 years ago

It's complete shit. I've owned an LE twice. What a mistake trying it again. You are better off trying a TF Pro.

Packed with features and yes the Magneto looks awesome.

You will hear many complain about the shitty voices, and that's because they are in fact shitty.

#36 6 years ago

I'd have a Magneto back in a heartbeat. Sold it as I was offered a very good price for it. Can't find another here. People hang onto them. Great game imho.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

It's complete shit. I've owned an LE twice. What a mistake trying it again. You are better off trying a TF Pro.
Packed with features and yes the Magneto looks awesome.
You will hear many complain about the shitty voices, and that's because they are in fact shitty.

I owned a Pro and enjoyed it for a while, but it's nowhere near as good as games like Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Man, or Walking Dead.

The callouts are terrible, and the whole thing is an undisguised wood-chop fest with no fun at the end of the woodchopping.

It shoots great, and if the theme is a big plus for you I can understand the appeal.

#38 6 years ago

The only wood chopping period is hitting the standups on the lower side to qualify Hellfire and Brotherhood. Unless you're just saying that every mode in pinball is chopping wood, in which case then you would be correct.

#39 6 years ago

X-MEN is not on anyone's radar because there are so many titles out there available. People almost have to give a referral or recommendation to someone to check it out. I have enjoyed mine since the beginning and I have enjoyed the train ride with the progression of code. It has been my favorite game since I purchased it new and has yet to be dethroned. For $5k for an LE, it is one hell of a bang for your buck! X-MEN is the Shit!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The only wood chopping period is hitting the standups on the lower side to qualify Hellfire and Brotherhood. Unless you're just saying that every mode in pinball is chopping wood, in which case then you would be correct.

The way you start everything in X-Men is by hitting the thing you want multiple times. If you don't see the lack of imagination there and are happy to play along without getting bored, more power to you. Magneto is actually a nice exception, and I think the only one. It still leads to a boring, grindy, un-fun multiball.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

The way you start everything in X-Men is by hitting the thing you want multiple times.

You mean like afm, mm, and mb, 3 of the top 10 games on the pinside top 100?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

The way you start everything in X-Men is by hitting the thing you want multiple times. If you don't see the lack of imagination there and are happy to play along without getting bored, more power to you. Magneto is actually a nice exception, and I think the only one. It still leads to a boring, grindy, un-fun multiball.

That's how metallica is too.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

The way you start everything in X-Men is by hitting the thing you want multiple times.

Yea, hit Cyclops twice when no other mode is lit to start him. You must be an amazing tree chopper to knock something down with two hits...

XMen is the opposite of chopping wood, it's very easy to start and complete modes. There are a lot of modes. Transformers is chopping wood (hit Starscream five times to start then seven times to finish...).

As for the XMen villains, they actually make a lot of sense how they move the shots around to finish based on the comic history. You want to beat Jug? Well, get his helmet off through the not psi people then hit Prof X to mind blast him. Unlike AC/DC that moves shots around in modes with no logic tie in to the actual band (just random), XM is concise with why shots move.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

That's how metallica is too.

I called X-Men undisguised woodchopping with not a lot of fun at the end of the woodchopping.

The woodchopping in Metallica is artfully disguised, and leads to lots of fun stuff.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yea, hit Cyclops twice when no other mode is lit to start him. You must be an amazing tree chopper to knock something down with two hits...
XMen is the opposite of chopping wood, it's very easy to start and complete modes. There are a lot of modes. Transformers is chopping wood (hit Starscream five times to start then seven times to finish...).
As for the XMen villains, they actually make a lot of sense how they move the shots around to finish based on the comic history. You want to beat Jug? Well, get his helmet off through the not psi people then hit Prof X to mind blast him. Unlike AC/DC that moves shots around in modes with no logic tie in to the actual band (just random), XM is concise with why shots move.

You make a good point. Probably because I'm not into the theme, I never had much fun doing what you're describing.

Like I said, it shoots and flows great. That, and wanting to understand how to play it, is why I got it. Once I had it, it never won me over with anything beyond how it shoots. It's far from the worst game I've ever played, but it didn't live up to the hidden gem hype for me.

In case you think it's because I suck at pinball or something, I can assure you I do not suck at pinball. Only mentioning it because that's among the things I'd be wondering if someone couldn't get into a game I really enjoyed.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

You make a good point. Probably because I'm not into the theme, I never had much fun doing what you're describing.
Like I said, it shoots and flows great. That, and wanting to understand how to play it, is why I got it. Once I had it, it never won me over with anything beyond how it shoots. It's far from the worst game I've ever played, but it didn't live up to the hidden gem hype for me.
In case you think it's because I suck at pinball or something, I can assure you I do not suck at pinball. Only mentioning it because that's among the things I'd be wondering if someone couldn't get into a game I really enjoyed.

Yea, I get it. Theme is huge in pinball. If you love a theme you are more prone to enjoy a game based on that theme. Disliking a theme can make one not like an great game.

Im an X-Men fan and have been for years. Certainly helps me like the game more than I would if I was not an X-Men fan.

#47 6 years ago

I think we are starting to see the market saturation I spoke of when JJP came into the picture.
Higher end collectors want the newest toy so the sell there other high end toys at a discount to get what they want. We saw this 3 times a year prior to 2013 with Sterns new releases. This puts a lot of titles on the market in a crowded price point. Just wait for Houdini to hit, Cactus Canyon to be announced and Iron Maiden or Pulp Fiction to hit later this year.
Stepping up on my soap box: I think this is the last price hike for Stern with SW and the Williams remakes have found a sweet spot at $6500-7500. JJP seems to have stuck to the 8k retail price which is actually $7500 street value. So for now we are at a market valuation of $7500 we will see if that holds or if they step down to American Pinballs $6995. I think pride will not allow Stern to do it but you see how long Stern stuck to there "you have to sell at retail" with the distributors. You can get just about any Stern shipped less than suggested value with add ons and free ship.

Back to Xmen -Game layout is solid and the code is there. I have never seen a movie or read the comics so it has not theme tie in for me which moved me to let it go.
I owned a Pro and liked it - played the LE and liked it more.
If I were to own it again it would be in the LE but would not want to be over 5k in one.
I think if I found one close to 4k I'd be interested again.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm one. XMLE is my favorite game and has been for a good long while. XM had a bad rap on release (and deservidly so) for crappy code, but that's been sorted out.

That's fair. But understand, the majority of people like myself that bought the game early didn't get rid of the game because of code, odd magnets, etc. We got rid of the game because it's just not very fun. Always felt like work when I played it and one missed ramp ruins all flow. Two years after it was released, I still counted 15-17 NIB every week on Ebay. Can't recall any game from Stern where that has happened.

#49 6 years ago

(talking about the Magneto)

seems for most, the hate about xmen came from the fact the pin is hard
few shoots are really tricky, but not only as the bash toy is also punishing you quite often...

to me, i was in love with it for a lots of reasons, in the other way my son was the opposite and not more playing it at all
than have to turn around & go for something else (hi Robin, seems you still have it !?)

also, let's admit it was bad coded when just out, but last 2 codes are more than OK
and the gimmick (magnet+spindisc) is very nice to see (the moving ramp is a mess)

than right now, to be honest, i regret it :/

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh go jump in a tiger pit with that noise....all of the art on the game is from the comics, and has nothing to do with the movies. What are you, 12 years old and have never seen an actual comic book?

No, I own the game, but have never read a comic book, any comic book.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-x-mens-not-sell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.