(Topic ID: 314775)

Why do we still need coin mechs in doors??

By PinballGalore

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should coin door mechs still be default on new games?”

• I’d rather get more goodies 13 votes
      7%
    • I’d rather see something else in that freed up space 8 votes
      4%
    • It ain’t pinball without one 157 votes
      83%
    • I couldn’t care 11 votes
      6%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

65719108-4C86-4DDA-8947-9FE6C595533A (resized).jpeg
    coin door fridge (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    horny goat weed (resized).JPG
    2DEE5215-8298-4EA0-9EF9-38CA91182D0D (resized).jpeg
    20220504_180559 (resized).jpg
    20220504_175937 (resized).jpg
    c.gif
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    F44F3298-3D66-42D4-B254-C0EC7E709C89 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballGalore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Coin doors (edit, I’m referring to the mechs and the space they take up in a coin door, I realized that wasn’t clear originally).

They serve a very specific purpose. Todays market is much more collector driven than in the past. Why don’t the manufacturers produce, say, the PRO/standard/basic games which are intended for the operators market with coin doors, but premiums/limited edition/collectors models could cut those costs from the BOM, and spend the $ saved on a more useful and enjoyable accessory in the game. Of course the games could still be wired up in case someone wants to replace the blank door and operate the game. Still, I don’t understand why my jjp collectors gnr has 2 fully working 25cent slots. Surely those mechs and parts run a few tens of dollars per game.
    The amount of CE games from this example that have hit the wild and gone into arcades is minuscule. And I’m certain many of those have opted for a credit/members card reader making the coin option almost obsolete.

So, why is this not changing? Would you rather have an unused coin mech taking up all the space in the door over something else that could perhaps be done with the space if it frees up? Just like the shadow box.
    Forget interactive topper, what if you got an interactive door with a light show or something to look into rather than coin mechs?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

F44F3298-3D66-42D4-B254-C0EC7E709C89 (resized).jpegF44F3298-3D66-42D4-B254-C0EC7E709C89 (resized).jpeg
    #7 1 year ago

you would still have access, I actually meant the coin mechs. I’ll edit and make that clearer.
    Operators these days, at least from what I’ve come across, mainly use phone/credit card readers which has become the norm for paying for anything, so just like shadow boxes make use of the note readers most people don’t opt for, I say away with the coin mechs and let’s stage something else in that space. wouldn’t compromise the stowing purpose. If someone wants coin mechs for the sake of coin operated games, they can add it on just like they would add on a card or note reader, ex factory.
    Love reading the opinions, this is just to make my original post clearer after reading the first Few Response.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Some of us like to set the game for coins even if it is at home. Kinda enhances the feeling

I have it that way on most of my games, but it got old and rarely gets used as it’s so much easier to adjust to free play and just hit start.

#53 1 year ago

I live outside of the states, when buying a NIB in Europe (GNR was an exception and purchased In the US) they don’t come with the actual mech. I was charged x amount of euros to add a coin reader. Rest of the games I pick up which are B/W from the nineties, all have old European currency coin slots which make it kind of annoying to stock up on for each machine. So one is an Italian lira, the other a German DM or a French franc and so on… so my situation is a little more frustrating and it got me to thinking that space could be used up in a more exciting way. I too love the whole mechanism behind it and it is one of my early memories of loving pinball, when the OP would come to fix a stuck ball or give a credit when due, I think the inside of that door was the most fascinating aspect
    Of the “inside” of the machine for me, and probably still is. So I have my few with working coin mechs but I wouldn’t mind if others had more interesting things done with the space.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I really don't understand all the down votes your first post got. You posted an honest question.
    I admit I didn't agree with your post, but it's not bad by any means, and it brought up a valid discussion.

Thanks, I also don’t get it. I enjoy the discussion and hearing all the opinions but I guess that’s just the way things go

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I wonder if the op works for Stern. This whole thread smells of something Stern would do. Remove the coin mechs and make operators call and have them shipped just to save a nickel. It's the same thing that happened with the DBV cable - although I believe that was a strategic move to save on UL approval costs by technically removing mains voltage from the coin door. It is so frustrating getting a new machine and having to call Stern with the serial number for them to ship you a stupid cable.

Op works for himself. I couldn’t imagine having a boss. You can check out my business but you’d have to be able to read Hebrew. www.rollingstoned.co.il

Not everything in this world is a conspiracy.
    This is just a discussion. Not a ploy by some large corporation.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Selling bongs on a Hebrew website: the perfect cover for a Stern operative spreading anti-coin door propaganda.

Throw in the mossad and you’ve got yourself a hit on Netflix

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

When I buy an old machine that has the coin door dismantled to prevent operating, I replace all the parts including the mechs to make it right. Sorry, but this is a terrible idea.

coin mechs, not door.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballGalore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-still-need-coin-doors?tu=PinballGalore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.