(Topic ID: 314775)

Why do we still need coin mechs in doors??

By PinballGalore

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should coin door mechs still be default on new games?”

• I’d rather get more goodies 13 votes
      7%
    • I’d rather see something else in that freed up space 8 votes
      4%
    • It ain’t pinball without one 157 votes
      83%
    • I couldn’t care 11 votes
      6%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

65719108-4C86-4DDA-8947-9FE6C595533A (resized).jpeg
    coin door fridge (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    horny goat weed (resized).JPG
    2DEE5215-8298-4EA0-9EF9-38CA91182D0D (resized).jpeg
    20220504_180559 (resized).jpg
    20220504_175937 (resized).jpg
    c.gif
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    F44F3298-3D66-42D4-B254-C0EC7E709C89 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FrankJ.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 1 year ago

Vending machines are shipping with a single coin slot, a dollar bill validator, and a credit card reader (some with tap and pay).

Juke boxes around me have no coin slot, a $1, $5, $10, $20 bill validator, a credit card reader, and on-line pay options.

Arenas, stadiums, concert venues, theme parks, etc. are going completely cashless.

Why are we so hard-headed in our thinking? We build the latest technology into the games, then resist the change that could actually help us improve revenues.

#70 1 year ago

I don’t know…I think it is a valuable conversation. Ask jukebox owners if they want to go back to coins, or if their profits have increased with credit card and ap usage. It wasn’t long ago where jukes and pins were on a level playing field as far as coin to play goes. Now, I load up $20 on my ap, and play what I want to hear. I don’t know if the song costs a quarter or a buck.

#81 1 year ago

Are “we” part of the problem in keeping the cost of playing a game so low? Perception is reality. If the coin slot is there, do people expect the game to be under a buck? If so, are we indirectly cheapening our product by still wanting coin slots?

#82 1 year ago

I wonder what Stern has planned for their Insider program. They need a return on the investment they are making. Could they be planning an ap (like jukeboxes), where you load $$$ to your Stern account, and through an ap play a game? Stern keeps a portion, and electronically sends the operator and location their cut? Playing through an ap eliminates the hardware expense of a credit card reader and service. If it works for jukes, why not pinball?

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I wonder if the op works for Stern. This whole thread smells of something Stern would do. Remove the coin mechs and make operators call and have them shipped just to save a nickel. It's the same thing that happened with the DBV cable - although I believe that was a strategic move to save on UL approval costs by technically removing mains voltage from the coin door. It is so frustrating getting a new machine and having to call Stern with the serial number for them to ship you a stupid cable.

I’m retired. Still think it’s a worthy discussion. Change is good!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FrankJ.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-still-need-coin-doors?tu=FrankJ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.