(Topic ID: 314775)

Why do we still need coin mechs in doors??

By PinballGalore

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should coin door mechs still be default on new games?”

• I’d rather get more goodies 13 votes
      7%
    • I’d rather see something else in that freed up space 8 votes
      4%
    • It ain’t pinball without one 157 votes
      83%
    • I couldn’t care 11 votes
      6%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

65719108-4C86-4DDA-8947-9FE6C595533A (resized).jpeg
    coin door fridge (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    horny goat weed (resized).JPG
    2DEE5215-8298-4EA0-9EF9-38CA91182D0D (resized).jpeg
    20220504_180559 (resized).jpg
    20220504_175937 (resized).jpg
    c.gif
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    F44F3298-3D66-42D4-B254-C0EC7E709C89 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bud.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 1 year ago

I keep seeing discussion about credit card readers…. Problem is it is hard enough to make money as an operator, especially if there is a location split where the operator has to give a portion of coin drop to the location. Now, couple that with the fact that a credit card service wants to charge a monthly fee and a transaction fee too, there is less money money for the operator. Now what about chargebacks? Someone claims their card was stolen, games ripped them off or anything else along those lines. Now the operator is out of more money in addition to the audits will be off thereby operator missing money and giving split to a location that was never there.

I operated pins for a long time in several locations, big and small. Card readers are a major expense and so is the service that is connected with them. I also bought dollar bill acceptors for the majority of my pins, prices ranged from $20-$400 each. The $20 DBAs weee used/broken and needed repair or updates (more time and money). The $400 DBAs were required for the newer pins like JJP machine because they went to a 12v system. There were work around a to use a higher voltage DBA, but that was more time and money. The older pins required a new coin door because the old coin doors wouldn’t fit the majority of DBAs out there unless you wanted to cut and modify the original door. By the time I bought a NIB pin, the DBA, any mods or protective devices, there was a period of time that I wasn’t making money until those add on’s had been paid for through earnings. In addition, money wasn’t made until the deprecated value of the pin had been earned (back then, pins lost value especially as routed games).

It is very hard to earn money as a legit and quality focused operator. It’s easy to assume a credit card reader is not that expensive and is going to make more money, that’s just not case. Meanwhile, cost per play remains pretty much unchanged and cost of equipment keeps going up. More people aren’t playing location pinball on a scale big enough to make up the increased cost of operating.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I wonder what Stern has planned for their Insider program. They need a return on the investment they are making. Could they be planning an ap (like jukeboxes), where you load $$$ to your Stern account, and through an ap play a game? Stern keeps a portion, and electronically sends the operator and location their cut? Playing through an ap eliminates the hardware expense of a credit card reader and service. If it works for jukes, why not pinball?

The last thing an operator wants is a manufacture getting involved with their earnings or knowledge of them. That is a slippery slope, on one hand a manufacture could see just how hard it is for an operator to make money. On the other hand, a manufacture could believe an operator is making an “excessive” amount of money and can afford to give up earnings by increasing cost of services or equipment for an operator.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bud.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-still-need-coin-doors?tu=Bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.