(Topic ID: 314775)

Why do we still need coin mechs in doors??

By PinballGalore

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should coin door mechs still be default on new games?”

• I’d rather get more goodies 13 votes
      7%
    • I’d rather see something else in that freed up space 8 votes
      4%
    • It ain’t pinball without one 157 votes
      83%
    • I couldn’t care 11 votes
      6%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

65719108-4C86-4DDA-8947-9FE6C595533A (resized).jpeg
    coin door fridge (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    horny goat weed (resized).JPG
    2DEE5215-8298-4EA0-9EF9-38CA91182D0D (resized).jpeg
    20220504_180559 (resized).jpg
    20220504_175937 (resized).jpg
    c.gif
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    F44F3298-3D66-42D4-B254-C0EC7E709C89 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Seems like it would be more appropriate to sell machines with a dollar bill accepter and a credit card reader on the door for modern machines.
    I'm not exactly sure how the credit card would be charged, but it would make things a lot easier for players.
    No need for bill changing devices either if the machine only took bills and credit cards.

Most credit card readers work on a dedicated LAN cable, but there are some that use WiFi and Blutooth. And there are some that are for applications like coin doors, and I've seen American Changers machines that have them.
    Downside, a lot of the units that have chip reader slots don't work for long. Stuff get into them (including coins) and they stop reading. And you can'tfix them yourself. If your EMV device goes bad, you usually have to send them back to the manufacturer for repair (for security reasons).
    TAP and Phone payment EMV's work better, but there's a lot of credit cards that aren't TAP enabled (I have one from BofA that doesn't have TAP).

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Why are we so hard-headed in our thinking? We build the latest technology into the games, then resist the change that could actually help us improve revenues.

Because the change you speak of costs money. Card reader, bank account or what ever it is tied to.

How much money do you think I'm making that I'm going to start converting everything.

And please spare me the "you'll make more money song and dance ". I kind of know my industry and business.

LTG : )

#53 1 year ago

I live outside of the states, when buying a NIB in Europe (GNR was an exception and purchased In the US) they don’t come with the actual mech. I was charged x amount of euros to add a coin reader. Rest of the games I pick up which are B/W from the nineties, all have old European currency coin slots which make it kind of annoying to stock up on for each machine. So one is an Italian lira, the other a German DM or a French franc and so on… so my situation is a little more frustrating and it got me to thinking that space could be used up in a more exciting way. I too love the whole mechanism behind it and it is one of my early memories of loving pinball, when the OP would come to fix a stuck ball or give a credit when due, I think the inside of that door was the most fascinating aspect
    Of the “inside” of the machine for me, and probably still is. So I have my few with working coin mechs but I wouldn’t mind if others had more interesting things done with the space.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballGalore:

I live outside of the states, when buying a NIB in Europe (GNR was an exception and purchased In the US) they don’t come with the actual mech. I was charged x amount of euros to add a coin reader. Rest of the games I pick up which are B/W from the nineties, all have old European currency coin slots which make it kind of annoying to stock up on for each machine. So one is an Italian lira, the other a German DM or a French franc and so on… so my situation is a little more frustrating and it got me to thinking that space could be used up in a more exciting way. I too love the whole mechanism behind it and it is one of my early memories of loving pinball, when the OP would come to fix a stuck ball or give a credit when due, I think the inside of that door was the most fascinating aspect
    Of the “inside” of the machine for me, and probably still is. So I have my few with working coin mechs but I wouldn’t mind if others had more interesting things done with the space.

I really don't understand all the down votes your first post got. You posted an honest question.
    I admit I didn't agree with your post, but it's not bad by any means, and it brought up a valid discussion.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

When pinball manufacturers remove stuff they never pass on the savings to the customer, the savings go to their profit.

This 100 billion %!

#56 1 year ago

Probably where Stern is headed with Insider Connect. Open an IC account with Stern, upload funds via any cash based app, use the QR reader to add credits through your account. Redeem achievements for swag, toppers and discounted games.

#57 1 year ago

You all want more pins out there - and at the same time you want to encourage Stern/etc to REMOVE the ability for the pin to earn??

1 - Games need ways to make money. The only people who use card-systems, etc are those who have a LOT of pieces in one location. You'd never have arcade games in small locations without cash systems

2 - Coin doors have multiple slots for redundancy. You'd be amazing at how much they jam due to stupid human tricks. Having only one would double the chance the game is dead.

3 - 'home' versions have suffered in pins and arcades forever. The auora of the coin slot is real.

4 - Stern already is cutting corners here.. like NOT including the 110V harness in every game anymore. Don't encourage them further! Instead why not ask Stern to actually include a DBV instead of cheap coin slots!

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I really don't understand all the down votes your first post got. You posted an honest question.
    I admit I didn't agree with your post, but it's not bad by any means, and it brought up a valid discussion.

Thanks, I also don’t get it. I enjoy the discussion and hearing all the opinions but I guess that’s just the way things go

#59 1 year ago

I own an arcade with About 50 machines. We just received a pga golden tee with only bill acceptor and card reader and was doing terrible without coins. We had to retrofit ourselves. Our customers are still using tokens, which they can buy with credit cards. We also have many limited edition and premium games on location, so removing those would be a pain to retrofit new games. The coin mechs themselves are not so expensive, but I think adding other options would just be a pain for the manufacturers.

#60 1 year ago

They can't get rid of the actual door without completely changing how the playfield is accessed for service (hello Hercules bomb bay doors), so replacing with art would require the art to be on a door of some sort.

#61 1 year ago

I think one reason the early SS home version pins (Fireball, Evel Knievel, Alive!, etc.) aren’t considered as valuable as roughly-comparable pins from the same period is the lack of a coin door. Those pins just don’t look the same.

I really like the coin doors on all my EMs, even though they’re in my basement set up for free play. Otherwise, they just wouldn’t be as cool. If one of them had some plain door in front, I’d get a coin door for it.

To the OP’s point as specified in his edit, far as the mechs themselves, since no one sees them, I could do without them, as long as the outward look is there. But I think new pins should still have them so the operators have that option for earning.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Probably because that post claims the idea that the monies saved from the coin mechs would be put into other things in the game.
    That's one thing at least.

#63 1 year ago

I've played at probably 100 location's and have only encountered card readers once. Terrible idea...

#64 1 year ago

This is the sorta shit DR would pull and look what happened there, Iv never put a coin near any of my games but have so many memories of scrounging change for them when younger I couldn’t not have them there, they are part of what makes a pinball machine a pinball machine!!

Be interesting if they are still there in 15 years time when cash is completely dead though.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Probably where Stern is headed with Insider Connect. Open an IC account with Stern, upload funds via any cash based app, use the QR reader to add credits through your account. Redeem achievements for swag, toppers and discounted games.

And have all sorts of personal information, including your travel and game playing info, in one more data system. Blah.

#66 1 year ago

Dear OP:
    I'm generally with you, but as you'll see many of your responses included a version of "But that's what we've always done! People will expect it!" which is how progress gets stymied. So you get to continue to pay for a coin door that most home users don't use, and wouldn't actually care if they all disappeared tomorrow despite their cries.

Oh, except

what if you got an interactive door with a light show or something to look into rather than coin mechs?

No. Stop it. I need that like I need wifi feet levelers or a shaker for my toolbox.

#67 1 year ago

I guess I'm the minority opinion, but I'd be fine if coin mechs weren't standard. I don't see the need. I'll never use them on a home game, and I'd be fine if Stern saved the $40 or whatever rather than building in a part that will never get used. Of course operators and some home users want them, so the coin mechs would just be another thing you order and install, like art blades or shooter rods or shaker motors or whatever. I'm sure Stern could design for the mechs to be snapped in and wired up in a minute or two, if there's not already an industry standard for that.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

wifi feet levelers

c.gifc.gif
    #69 1 year ago

Just stop it already. The fact is coin mechs are still used by most operators and we don't want to have to start paying extra for them adding to our costs.

#70 1 year ago

I don’t know…I think it is a valuable conversation. Ask jukebox owners if they want to go back to coins, or if their profits have increased with credit card and ap usage. It wasn’t long ago where jukes and pins were on a level playing field as far as coin to play goes. Now, I load up $20 on my ap, and play what I want to hear. I don’t know if the song costs a quarter or a buck.

#71 1 year ago

bcuz more sell to locations and operators than home so they must remain.

#72 1 year ago

I keep seeing discussion about credit card readers…. Problem is it is hard enough to make money as an operator, especially if there is a location split where the operator has to give a portion of coin drop to the location. Now, couple that with the fact that a credit card service wants to charge a monthly fee and a transaction fee too, there is less money money for the operator. Now what about chargebacks? Someone claims their card was stolen, games ripped them off or anything else along those lines. Now the operator is out of more money in addition to the audits will be off thereby operator missing money and giving split to a location that was never there.

I operated pins for a long time in several locations, big and small. Card readers are a major expense and so is the service that is connected with them. I also bought dollar bill acceptors for the majority of my pins, prices ranged from $20-$400 each. The $20 DBAs weee used/broken and needed repair or updates (more time and money). The $400 DBAs were required for the newer pins like JJP machine because they went to a 12v system. There were work around a to use a higher voltage DBA, but that was more time and money. The older pins required a new coin door because the old coin doors wouldn’t fit the majority of DBAs out there unless you wanted to cut and modify the original door. By the time I bought a NIB pin, the DBA, any mods or protective devices, there was a period of time that I wasn’t making money until those add on’s had been paid for through earnings. In addition, money wasn’t made until the deprecated value of the pin had been earned (back then, pins lost value especially as routed games).

It is very hard to earn money as a legit and quality focused operator. It’s easy to assume a credit card reader is not that expensive and is going to make more money, that’s just not case. Meanwhile, cost per play remains pretty much unchanged and cost of equipment keeps going up. More people aren’t playing location pinball on a scale big enough to make up the increased cost of operating.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I think it is a valuable conversation.

THIS is what's missed by most people who disagree with any part of a post. Let's talk about it, not just crap on it.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

THIS is what's missed by most people who disagree with any part of a post. Let's talk about it, not just crap on it.

It is a very valuable conversation and quite fascinating.

I look forward to more deep discussion on things like "Why do we need flippers?"

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I don’t know…I think it is a valuable conversation. Ask jukebox owners if they want to go back to coins, or if their profits have increased with credit card and ap usage. It wasn’t long ago where jukes and pins were on a level playing field as far as coin to play goes. Now, I load up $20 on my ap, and play what I want to hear. I don’t know if the song costs a quarter or a buck.

Right, but that's because you can "play" the jukebox on your phone. And you can have some anonymity if you are picking a song someone doesn't like.

Not of these things apply to a pinball machine.

#76 1 year ago

I myself, want to see a full coin door with mechs and validator. Its part of the overall fun. Unfortunately, we are very near a cashless society. Illinois Tollway eliminated all cash in 2020.

The cost of bill validators is pricy - whether it is slots, car wash, game operators, etc.
    I feel for the route people.

#77 1 year ago

I also need the Cashbox.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from chad:

I myself, want to see a full coin door with mechs and validator. Its part of the overall fun. Unfortunately, we are very near a cashless society. Illinois Tollway eliminated all cash in 2020.
    The cost of bill validators is pricy - whether it is slots, car wash, game operators, etc.
    I feel for the route people.

No doubt. I still remember pushing coin returns and checking for quarters on games back when I was a kid. Sometimes you would find one jammed up with quarters. A little banging and pushing the coin return would result in a slot machine type of jackpot. That was the best! As soon as you get rid of coin mechs, games are just home editions and that's a downgrade.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

No doubt. I still remember pushing coin returns and checking for quarters on games back when I was a kid. Sometimes you would find one jammed up with quarters. A little banging and pushing the coin return would result in a slot machine type of jackpot. That was the best! As soon as you get rid of coin mechs, games are just home editions and that's a downgrade.

Lol, Didn’t we all.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bud:

I keep seeing discussion about credit card readers

Speaking for myself, I was referring to "swipe card" devices, which typically means stored-value cards bought at the counter or a kiosk. Yes, there are other expenses associated with those, too.
    .................David Marston

#81 1 year ago

Are “we” part of the problem in keeping the cost of playing a game so low? Perception is reality. If the coin slot is there, do people expect the game to be under a buck? If so, are we indirectly cheapening our product by still wanting coin slots?

#82 1 year ago

I wonder what Stern has planned for their Insider program. They need a return on the investment they are making. Could they be planning an ap (like jukeboxes), where you load $$$ to your Stern account, and through an ap play a game? Stern keeps a portion, and electronically sends the operator and location their cut? Playing through an ap eliminates the hardware expense of a credit card reader and service. If it works for jukes, why not pinball?

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I wonder what Stern has planned for their Insider program. They need a return on the investment they are making. Could they be planning an ap (like jukeboxes), where you load $$$ to your Stern account, and through an ap play a game? Stern keeps a portion, and electronically sends the operator and location their cut? Playing through an ap eliminates the hardware expense of a credit card reader and service. If it works for jukes, why not pinball?

The last thing an operator wants is a manufacture getting involved with their earnings or knowledge of them. That is a slippery slope, on one hand a manufacture could see just how hard it is for an operator to make money. On the other hand, a manufacture could believe an operator is making an “excessive” amount of money and can afford to give up earnings by increasing cost of services or equipment for an operator.

#84 1 year ago

Yes. For various reasons, operator wants to keep the earning data private.

#85 1 year ago

They are getting $200 a pop now, that's a pretty good start.

Quoted from FrankJ:

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Just stop it already. The fact is coin mechs are still used by most operators and we don't want to have to start paying extra for them adding to our costs.

But why DONT you want to give away 3% of your drop to a credit card processor? (Sarcasm)

#87 1 year ago

Given that I am a home collector guy, yes I see your point however all my machines have working coin doors and I would have it no other way. Also have the correct coin box. It is just part of having a machine that is technically “correct” in my eyes. Hell I just spent $40 for the TOP to a coin box to make my Bally PB complete. Just my .02 worth!!

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Vending machines are shipping with a single coin slot, a dollar bill validator, and a credit card reader (some with tap and pay).
    Juke boxes around me have no coin slot, a $1, $5, $10, $20 bill validator, a credit card reader, and on-line pay options.
    Arenas, stadiums, concert venues, theme parks, etc. are going completely cashless.
    Why are we so hard-headed in our thinking? We build the latest technology into the games, then resist the change that could actually help us improve revenues.

Went to a Cubs/White Sox this week at Wrigley Field this week. Card only at all food and merchandise outlets. The Vendors walking around were also card only. But those vendors happily accepted cash tips. I'm sure they report that has "miscellaneous income" to the IRS....

20220504_175937 (resized).jpg20220504_175937 (resized).jpg20220504_180559 (resized).jpg20220504_180559 (resized).jpg
    #89 1 year ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Slot machines got rid of coins and the old folks went crazy. ...For about 10 minutes until they learned how to use the paper tickets. Technology changes and coin slots will be obsolete soon. Nevertheless, I agree with others that the games, even at home only, would just ‘not look right or authentic’ without the coin slots, especially in a lineup with other games. Also agree any money saved would not be passed on to customers. When the change to digital or card only payment will make more money for the big manufacturers, that’s when it will happen.

Illinois VLT's (many manufacturers: IGT, WMS, Aristocrat, Novomatic, Bally platforms with a Scientific Games server) all have Bill acceptor for input and ticket printers for cashing out. No Ticket in though. Have to go to the ATM vault machine to collect cash winnings. No W2-G's either. Some big wins pay out excess of $1199.99 with "Red credits" that are play only.

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Went to a Cubs/White Sox this week at Wrigley Field this week. Card only at all food and merchandise outlets. The Vendors walking around were also card only. But those vendors happily accepted cash tips. I'm sure they report that has "miscellaneous income" to the IRS....[quoted image][quoted image]

Whenever possible, I tip cash because I’ve been there.

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Whenever possible, I tip cash because I’ve been there. Hell, I’ve considered going back but it wouldn’t be the same not coming home with cash in my pocket. Haven’t delivered a pizza in over 20+ years but it used to be a fun way to make extra money.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Went to a Cubs/White Sox this week at Wrigley Field this week. Card only at all food and merchandise outlets. The Vendors walking around were also card only. But those vendors happily accepted cash tips. I'm sure they report that has "miscellaneous income" to the IRS....[quoted image][quoted image]

Last month when I went to Wondercon at the Anaheim Convention Center, I found that they've gone cashless too.
    I only used my credit card for parking and went to vendors outside to buy food because they took cash.
    And needles to say, I didn't see any Vendors on the exhibit hall floor that didn't take cash (but many that did take cards as well, which is fine because you can choose not to).

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

It is a very valuable conversation and quite fascinating.
    I look forward to more deep discussion on things like "Why do we need flippers?"

Bingo Pinballs FTW!!!

#94 1 year ago

Things of beauty, they are.

2DEE5215-8298-4EA0-9EF9-38CA91182D0D (resized).jpeg2DEE5215-8298-4EA0-9EF9-38CA91182D0D (resized).jpeg
    #95 1 year ago

I wonder if the op works for Stern. This whole thread smells of something Stern would do. Remove the coin mechs and make operators call and have them shipped just to save a nickel. It's the same thing that happened with the DBV cable - although I believe that was a strategic move to save on UL approval costs by technically removing mains voltage from the coin door. It is so frustrating getting a new machine and having to call Stern with the serial number for them to ship you a stupid cable.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I wonder if the op works for Stern. This whole thread smells of something Stern would do. Remove the coin mechs and make operators call and have them shipped just to save a nickel. It's the same thing that happened with the DBV cable - although I believe that was a strategic move to save on UL approval costs by technically removing mains voltage from the coin door. It is so frustrating getting a new machine and having to call Stern with the serial number for them to ship you a stupid cable.

Op works for himself. I couldn’t imagine having a boss. You can check out my business but you’d have to be able to read Hebrew. www.rollingstoned.co.il

Not everything in this world is a conspiracy.
    This is just a discussion. Not a ploy by some large corporation.

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I’m retired. Still think it’s a worthy discussion. Change is good!

#98 1 year ago

Op works for himself. I couldn’t imagine having a boss. You can check out my business but you’d have to be able to read Hebrew. www.rollingstoned.co.il
    Not everything in this world is a conspiracy.
    This is just a discussion. Not a ploy by some large corporation.

Selling bongs on a Hebrew website: the perfect cover for a Stern operative spreading anti-coin door propaganda.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Selling bongs on a Hebrew website: the perfect cover for a Stern operative spreading anti-coin door propaganda.

Throw in the mossad and you’ve got yourself a hit on Netflix

#100 1 year ago

I still use coin mechs in my own home i use my machines as money boxes as system 11 were 40c 60c or $1 for 2 plays and WPC $1 coin a game and 3 for $2 coin overhere here in Australia so whenever i get change i put them in my machines and it adds over a year goes towards parts but when people come over they set on free or lots of credits earthshaker and police force are lucky to get $10 a year as there easy to get replay and special

I have seen a few stern machines with google pay and credit card device with coin mechs $2 a game $5 for 3

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-still-need-coin-doors/page/2?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.