Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Micky
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RavenBg (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I grew up in the emergence of video games. I played new games like space invaders when they first came out, it was exciting.

But then, why I do love pinball so much? I know I have many reasons.

The people in pinball. Amazing. Volumes can be said here. Really volumes.

The topics, the art,the fun. It just keeps going. Why do we love pinball so much?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

To me, pinball machines are playable works of art! And unlike video games which become predictable, with a pinball machine the ball bounces differently every time and each game is a different experience.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

To me, pinball machines are playable works of art! And unlike video games which become predictable, with a pinball machine the ball bounces differently every time and each game is a different experience.

yonizzell Damn, Mike You took the words out of my mouth on that statement. Each game is it's own masterpiece of art made of wood and metal. Azmodeus agreed. I also grow up play videos through the late 70s early 80s. Witnessed them go from black and white to color. Played more videos then pins. It was the early Solid State pins that won over my love for them.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

Playable art is how I always describe pinball to my friends or others who do not play. Hand drawn artwork, mechanical design of a layout for flow and shots - amazing. Some people will drop 20K on an original Robert Bateman, and they are nice - but I'd still take a pinball

#5 6 years ago

The reason I stay in the hobby is simple, the people. The friends I have made are far more valuable than the machines.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Why Do We Love Pinball So Much?

Because it was designed to be the most addictive thing in the world.

When you feel that "Just one more game" feeling, press the feedbar.

#7 6 years ago

you put a coin in the chute, and the motor starts whiring, relays reset and score reels turn to zero
    a single ball is launched into the shooter lane
    its now me against the machine

launching the ball starts the game, targets are hit, your score increases
    you think you are in control of the ball, you flip the ball and hit a target, but your mastery is just an illusion, eventually you loose control of the ball. the machine wins again (but only just).
    you insert another coin

#8 6 years ago

Because I have an addictive personality and need a drug and pinball is my drug of choice.

#9 6 years ago

Because you can't turn on your savings account and play it.

#10 6 years ago

Videos are about skill. Pinball is about luck and skill.

#11 6 years ago

I like the blinking lights.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

The reason I stay in the hobby is the friends I have made.

Now that's a practical explanation, Steve.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Why do we love pinball so much?

It's the most fun you can have on 4 legs

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

To me, pinball machines are playable works of art!

That is exactly it. That, and when I'm immersed in the game, I'm thirteen years old in my favorite arcade all over again.

#15 6 years ago

Miniture Circus.
    Good American-made technology
    Aggressive with loud sounds and hard-hitting flippers and bumpers.
    Quality lit-up Art
    A Singular experience, even when playing with others.

#16 6 years ago

Because its just sooo much damn fun to play and try to run up a nice score. Flashing lights, sounds, the whole textile feeling is something that just cant be replicated anywhere else.

#17 6 years ago

I can't think of another activity that requires all of my attention with such low stakes. The world can be burning down around me, but I can forget about that as long as I'm trying to keep that little ball from passing between the flippers. And if it does? So what? I have a lot more quarters.

#18 6 years ago

I grew up in the 80's and 90's and loved hitting the local arcade, but almost exclusively played vids at the time. Not sure why, I think with pinball I was basically too cheap/poor - quarters were precious and pins were generally more to play, and I didn't take the opportunity to learn and get good enough to give them much of a shot. I don't remember really playing any pinball until I randomly started getting interested in pins a couple years ago.

Pretty sure what really got me interested was stumbling onto a PAPA tutorial video on YouTube with Bowen, (think it may have been MM) and getting pulled into all pinball had to offer by his frankly masterful display. For me the draw now is the battle to control the ball, the lights and sound of pinball, the physics and unpredictable nature of what the ball can do next is really interesting. Ramps and targets are just plain fun to hit. Now the thrill of the chase to acquire another game (I've only had a few so far) is a draw, as is learning to do maintenance and "project" pins.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from TimO:

And if it does? So what? I have a lot more quarters.

Screw that ! Free play baby !!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That, my friend is a bumper sticker. (Do people still do that?). That, my friend, is a t-shirt!

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not if your a dog .....

#22 6 years ago

A pinball machine with it's lights and sounds is like a slot machine that actually gives you your money's worth! A wooden box of rockin roll adrenaline!

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

I grew up in the 80's and 90's and loved hitting the local arcade, but almost exclusively played vids at the time. Not sure why, I think with pinball I was basically too cheap/poor - quarters were precious and pins were generally more to play, and I didn't take the opportunity to learn and get good enough to give them much of a shot. I don't remember really playing any pinball until I randomly started getting interested in pins a couple years ago.

It was hard for pinball to compete in the 80s. I would go to the arcade and there is a new donkey kong 2. Tempest joust and crystal castles. Oops along came dragons lair.

But pinball now amazes me. The art the whole package.

My theatre of Magic soothes me now. When it's on. Entrances me.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#24 6 years ago

I meant to say with that picture above. It was hard for pinball to compete in the 80s. There were new games weekly like joust and tempest and gauntlet. Pinball is amazing and has surely endured.

#25 6 years ago

4 player gauntlet one of my old favorites, also wizard of wor.

#26 6 years ago

I like the mechanical aspect of pinball. . . I feel I have some control over where the ball goes and I can make up my own game as I advance. I never could connect with a lot of video games where the rules were already written and a narrower path had to be followed.

#27 6 years ago

It's fulfilling in a physical way, and it's why the more I play, the more I like earlier pins, EMs and solid states. They're a little slower, and they feel less like video games than the modern Sterns do. Anticipating the ball hitting the rubber, giving the machine a good bump and seeing it go sailing up into the last drop target gives me a sense of satisfaction that's hard to get elsewhere.

#28 6 years ago

How do I love pinball? Let me count the ways.
    I love pinball to the depth and breadth and height and weight
    My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
    For the ends of being and ideal score.
    I love pinball to the level of every day’s
    Most quiet need, by sun and LED-light.
    I love pinball freely, as men strive for a high score
    I love pinball purely, as they turn from tilt.
    I love pinball with the passion put to use
    In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
    I love pinball with a love I seemed to lose
    With my lost quarters. I love pinball with the breath,
    Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
    I shall but love pinball better after death.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer ; Apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning

#29 6 years ago

Well said Lloyd !

#30 6 years ago

I think for me, one big reason is just how mechanical it is. Ever since I was little I loved watching complex machinery run. I could spend all day in games like Myst and Riven just watching what every different switch and button would do. Pinball was something I didn't have a ton of interest in until I first played the Williams Collection on Wii. Seeing Rudy and knowing he actually existed in real pinball machines I think really intrigued me. After that, I learned that these games had more to do than just randomly flipping at targets, thanks to the in-depth instructions in the Williams Collection. I can't remember for sure, but I bet it was moments like my first jackpot on Funhouse, hearing Rudy scream and the music change, that got me hooked.

So for me, it's watching how the machine interacts with the ball, trying to complete the challenges the game sets before me, and the excitement I feel when a machine starts practically exploding with lights and sound (I'm looking at you, Twilight Zone). The final aspect that *keeps* me hooked must be the unpredictable nature of the ball. Arcade video games don't keep me playing very long, and I really think it comes down to how littler variation they have. If I play multiple games of Donkey Kong 3, they'll mostly all feel the same, except that I'll probably gradually get a little better each time. With pinball I can have one good game, then a bunch of horrible games, and then I'll end the night with a new high score, all the while still feeling responsible for my performance.

So that's why I love playing pinball. Don't get me started on why I loving owning a pinball machine!

#31 6 years ago

What the fuck else are you going to put in your basement?

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

What the fuck else are you going to put in your basement?

Dungeon.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : I used to call mine the "Thank You Dungeon".

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

The reason I stay in the hobby is simple, the people. The friends I have made are far more valuable than the machines.

^^^ This. 1000 times this ^^^

I have met such good and fun people in this hobby. I love pinball, but I love the people too. One of my dearest friends, I was introduced to him by another great friend in pinball. One of my favorite things is hosting league. And it's funny that between all the prep, and the work on games, and the pizza and beer, it adds up. Yet having the whole house rocking to great pinball competition is just so fucking cool. I love hearing people swear at my games because they are setup like bitches (just how I like them). The games are fun, but it's the people.

And I bet that if any one of the shills or A-holes on Pinside came to my house, we would probably have a great time. I've got pinball machines from all different eras because I love them all. I'd feed you pizza and chips and by the end of the night we'd find common ground in our love of the hobby. We would pick the type of machine you like, and I'd kick your ass on it... or you would kick mine. By the end of the night we would be friends and you would have an open invite. Because after all the bullshit, playing pinball together is a fucking blast.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Not if your a dog .....

Dogs are good too

#35 6 years ago

I got hooked for many reasons. It's just cool having pins in the house and kind of crazy. It's a bit nostalgic and a bit of a boyhood dream to own arcade games. I can play alone or have friends over. My kids and their friends can enjoy them as well. I can go out to play on location, do tournaments, and meet other people in the process. They are skill games so don't get old like video games. You can also tinker with them and learn a thing or two by repairs. Most of my other interests and hobbies are just things I enjoy and not something you can enjoy in so many different ways.

#36 6 years ago

One of the great things about Pinball is you don't even have to own a machine to be in the hobby or be a good player.

#37 6 years ago

The other thing I like about this hobby is helping others fix their games. I get a kick out of being to part of the solution.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

you put a coin in the chute, and the motor starts whiring, relays reset and score reels turn to zero
    a single ball is launched into the shooter lane
    its now me against the machine
    launching the ball starts the game, targets are hit, your score increases
    you think you are in control of the ball, you flip the ball and hit a target, but your mastery is just an illusion, eventually you loose control of the ball. the machine wins again (but only just).
    you insert another coin

This is certainly part of it, but I've always liked games with balls/contraptions, etc. I liked building those marble towers as a kid, playing games like Fireball Island, Mouse Trap, etc. Pinball takes that and adds far greater interaction (and less down time setting up and cleaning up)...then they break, which for many of us becomes half the fun in troubleshooting (always rewarding to fix them ). Of course the artwork is a significant perk as well, and part of what guides what I bring home.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

One of the great things about Pinball is you don't even have to own a machine to be in the hobby or be a good player.

And sometimes you can own many machines and still not be a good player.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

The other thing I like about this hobby is helping others fix their games. I get a kick out of being to part of the solution.

This is great for me too. Also I love to point people at Pinside for this. The resources here. You can fix a lot of problems with a good tool bag. Pinside and an iPad.

Invaluable.

#41 6 years ago

Not sure if this is a reason for loving pinball vs why it is such a draw but I feel its because unlike Most hobbies, sports, attractions, etc Pinball is not intimidating. It is a self explanatory moment of enjoyment with minimal cost to play. A game that a 4 year old or a 90 year old can walk up without ever seeing the rules and just have Fun. The lights, the sounds, the complete control and freedom of their own created actions. I would take my kids to local arcades or even Attempt a try at their X Box thing and feel like a complete failure or broke in minutes. No sense of gratification and an impossible way to share an experience with them. With pinball, my Really young kids could share a game they nor I ever seen and still leave with excitement and a sense of thrill. Pinball attracts people of Any age like a magnet of simplicity and fun sure to please. JMO.

#42 6 years ago

For me it is because it's a physical game that is different every time i play it. The ball can bounce differently every time and just polishing the playfield can change so much with the way a game plays.

The people i have met and mates i have made over the years are a big part of enjoying the hobby too!

#43 6 years ago

Pinball are the toys for adults, you don't see the modern day kids (holding a celphone all the time) playing.
    When they do, they don't have the quarters to play them.
    Heck, they even can't find the credit button, let alone change a light bulb in the game.
    But when they do get some directions, they play like they are possessed to set a good score.
    Always great to see the thrill coming to them and be more and more competitive.

When done right, it's a hobby which can pay for itself.
    Buying old broken games and fixing them.
    Enjoy the game for a while and eventualy selling the game for more the bought for.
    Then you buy more games.....

The pure satisfaction of being able to enjoy your achivement of a fixed game.
    The way to learn how a game plays, the rules and which shot is the most profitable.

First I'm a fixer, then I'm a player.
    Too bad you always run out of space for more games....

#44 6 years ago

pinballonthemark
    What is your reason for down voting my personal experiences with pinball?

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Micky:

PINBALLONTHEMARK
    What is your reason for down voting my personal experiences with pinball?

Some people are just like that. I cancelled his downvote with an upvote and gave you a bonus in the hopes your day gets better.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Some people are just like that. I cancelled his downvote with an upvote and gave you a bonus in the hopes your day gets better.

And this right here is why pinball is a great hobby...the great people!

#48 6 years ago

For me, there are two things.

First, the entire audio-visual experience of a pinball machine. I much prefer playing in a quiet setting where I can hear the music and call outs or the chimes in an EM. I can close my eyes and literally feel some of my favorite moments. Playing at the Pacific Pinball Museum in October a few years ago, it was an amazing fall day. The front door was open and I was playing EMs and wood rails in the front room. There were no sounds except the flippers and chimes. Occasionally some music would come over the juke box with music from the period they were made. That speaks to my kind of weird. It was awesome. I get a similar experience at a bar if I arrive early and ther music isn't too loud.

Second is the social part. As much as I like playing games in a quieter session, pinball would not be nearly as enjoyable to me without the friends I have made and the times we get together. Most of my time at a show is spent with friends or playing multiplayer games with friends.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

It's fulfilling in a physical way, and it's why the more I play, the more I like earlier pins, EMs and solid states. They're a little slower, and they feel less like video games than the modern Sterns do. Anticipating the ball hitting the rubber, giving the machine a good bump and seeing it go sailing up into the last drop target gives me a sense of satisfaction that's hard to get elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing. Only you said it better than I could.

#50 6 years ago

I can't say things any better. I love pinball. The art. The friends. The whole shebang.

I think Star Wars pinball is going to be around me more than other pinball is now. I expect to see more non pinheads playing pinball everywhere.

We Should expect new fans to arrive!

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-love-pinball-so-much?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.