(Topic ID: 190606)

Why do we love "Hand-drawn" art?

By Russell

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

large (resized).jpg
    large (1) (resized).jpg
    image-22 (resized).jpg
    Escher Small (resized).jpg
    __hand_with_reflecting_sphere___by_xenomorph1138-d61vss9.jpg
    IMG_2823 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2824 (resized).JPG
    3a8aaa29116701364a7a1423f77d66660e357e05 (resized).jpg
    TBL art (resized).jpg
    dyz7B2t (resized).jpg
    IMG_6901 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6164 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6163 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seshpilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

The answer is simple. It's because pinball is as much about the artwork as it is the game itself. The old machines were all hand drawn artwork and that's one of the big things that made a machine popular and lured people to play it. I sit and just stare at my GB and my AS and look it over real good. It makes me appreciate the machine more because they are just beautiful looking.

Exactly. Pinball is so closely tied with nostalgia (as is arcade gaming), and as such, hand-drawn art was really the FORM for the arcades. It's really about staying true to the medium. Remember, back in the day of Atari, the box art/side art/etc WAS what gave us the imagination to want to play those pixelated, simple games. The artwork on the side of "Missile Command" puts you in the imaginative place of believing what you're doing is something of consequence. I mean, honestly the arcade game "Tron" sucks hard, but I'd love to own one just because of the cool artwork and design of the game! Same goes for "Dragon's Lair" (c'mon, it's not that great of a GAME, but as a work of art it's unbelievable!).

What's funny to me is that Gary Stern is often noted as being an incredible stickler as it relates to what HAS to be on his pinball machines to be "Sterns" (3 pop bumpers, 2 slingshots, etc...) and yet he seems to have been so slow to come around as it relates to understanding that the art aspect of pinball is every bit as important as the game mechanics and design. Personally I never even considered buying a Stern until MET came out just because I couldn't get down with the Photoslop stuff. Art + pinball cannot be separated in my mind.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seshpilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-love-hand-drawn-art?tu=seshpilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.