(Topic ID: 190606)

Why do we love "Hand-drawn" art?

By Russell

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

large (resized).jpg
    large (1) (resized).jpg
    image-22 (resized).jpg
    Escher Small (resized).jpg
    __hand_with_reflecting_sphere___by_xenomorph1138-d61vss9.jpg
    IMG_2823 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2824 (resized).JPG
    3a8aaa29116701364a7a1423f77d66660e357e05 (resized).jpg
    TBL art (resized).jpg
    dyz7B2t (resized).jpg
    IMG_6901 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6164 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6163 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scylla.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago

Photo realism isn't the problem with GOT. Horribly bad playfield art is the problem. Bad playfield art = no time, thought, or imagination spent on creating something that flows and you want to look at again and again (just as the game code should flow and be something you want to play again and again).

Alien is photo realism and looks great. GOT looks like what a playfield would look like if you asked me to do it. I work in banking for a reason.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Had to give you a thumbs up. Love my GOT. Love the cabinet art and translite on my LE. But the playfield is complete ass. Fortunately, when you turn it on, the lights are so f-ing bright, you don't actually see it.

For the record, I LOVE playing the game. It has fantastic flow and have spent hours at a time on an LE. That much sadder the art was such a miss. I guess Stern may have been limited in what they were allowed to use or do based on licensing...

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I can confirm that was the case, first hand knowledge.
    This is the double edged sword of licenses. They bring the name recognition and theme and assets and all the goodies, but pick the wrong studio to work with and you might be pretty constrained.

I figured that might have been the case with GOT. That sucks - talk about a lost opportunity.

And hand drawn doesn't make it great. There are plenty of hand drawn messes out there too. BSD for one - it's terrible. (Although that doesn't stop me from wanting one so badly I can't see straight.)

#51 6 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

This one is always the first to pop into my head...

OK - so that Galahad backglass is in a separate category for me. There's art that's just bad (i.e. poorly thought-out, poorly executed, sloppy, lazy). And then there's art that's so bad it's good (i.e. someone actually spent time on it only to have it massively fail). I think Galahad falls into that second category. Look at all of the details in their hair! The shading of the clothes! The contours of their faces! Someone tried to art - they just couldn't.

Then there's the WTF category. It's not bad, it's not good, it's WTF. Yes - I'm talking to you Genesis.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scylla.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-love-hand-drawn-art?tu=scylla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.