(Topic ID: 190606)

Why do we love "Hand-drawn" art?

By Russell

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

large (resized).jpg
    large (1) (resized).jpg
    image-22 (resized).jpg
    Escher Small (resized).jpg
    __hand_with_reflecting_sphere___by_xenomorph1138-d61vss9.jpg
    IMG_2823 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2824 (resized).JPG
    3a8aaa29116701364a7a1423f77d66660e357e05 (resized).jpg
    TBL art (resized).jpg
    dyz7B2t (resized).jpg
    IMG_6901 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6164 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6163 (resized).JPG
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

This one is always the first to pop into my head...

OK - so that Galahad backglass is in a separate category for me. There's art that's just bad (i.e. poorly thought-out, poorly executed, sloppy, lazy). And then there's art that's so bad it's good (i.e. someone actually spent time on it only to have it massively fail). I think Galahad falls into that second category. Look at all of the details in their hair! The shading of the clothes! The contours of their faces! Someone tried to art - they just couldn't.

Then there's the WTF category. It's not bad, it's not good, it's WTF. Yes - I'm talking to you Genesis.

#52 6 years ago

I know which one I prefer..

IMG_2824 (resized).JPGIMG_2824 (resized).JPG

IMG_2823 (resized).JPGIMG_2823 (resized).JPG

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I know which one I prefer..

The first one!

#54 6 years ago

The transition from photos to drawn art on backglasses and playfields is jarring. A photo doesn't blend with the rest of the package.

#55 6 years ago

...soul

#56 6 years ago

Metallica looks terrible.

Ghostbusters looks like the actors melted, Bill Murray in particular.

"Good" art is in the eye of the beholder.

I behold a great deal of ugliness in some recently hand drawn playfields. The lemmings will disagree.

Discuss.

#57 6 years ago

"Drawn art is a natural form of human creativity, not simply just someone else's work or inspired from photographs."
    - MC Escher

__hand_with_reflecting_sphere___by_xenomorph1138-d61vss9.jpg__hand_with_reflecting_sphere___by_xenomorph1138-d61vss9.jpg

Escher Small (resized).jpgEscher Small (resized).jpg

#58 6 years ago

I don't really care if it's hand drawn or not as long as it looks good.
    Hand drawn art is not better by itself although some might disagree.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from bane:

The lemmings will disagree.</blockquote

It's always cool to throw out the lemmings term when you know you have an outlier opinion that's sure to go against the grain. Good show!

#60 6 years ago

Hand drawn real art is better. No one wants to see that midget from Elf on a backglass...........

#61 6 years ago

No problem with photo shop if its done right, both can work and both can suck so its really all in the design, I would rather have ST style simplicity than overly done cartoon art any day.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

Hand drawn art is not better by itself although some might disagree.

In general, players, owners, and collectors do not prefer to go running towards to photogenic artwork titles.
    It has been a manufacturer or generational "fad" that has been attempted many times either due towards cost cutting, limitations by IP license holders, or in some cases outright borderline copyright infringement.
    The games were not necessarily bad designs, but the artwork in itself caused the games to be commercial failures.
    There are dozens of examples from pinball history.
    Only a handful were exceptions.

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg
    large (1) (resized).jpglarge (1) (resized).jpg
    image-22 (resized).jpgimage-22 (resized).jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-love-hand-drawn-art/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.