(Topic ID: 106549)

Why do we have to dig for information on a new game?

By playernumber4

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have been in on THLE since day one. But from what I have seen so far its not worth giving up a game to make space over. Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking the game at all. I just think it might not be my cup of tea. I am really surprised that neither of the major manufacturers has bothered to produce and show a good video of their games in action at these "reveals". Why not? Why do they leave that to be done by pinheads with inferior equipment (cell phone videos) at expos under absolutely terrible uncontrolled lighting conditings (over lighting at expo washes out all colors) that allow so many of us potential buyers to make decisions that "we don't want it" based on the videos and cell pics that get posted by other pinheads.

Whatever happened to properly marketing your product? I just don't get it. If I were running a company trying to sell a new product I would be making over the top videos or camera shots that fully explained things with great detail. And I'm not just knocking JJP here. Its all the manufacturers that are bragging about their wares at expo.

I think I will just hang onto my money here and pick up some earlier games that have been well proven and defined in the open marketplace.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I think I will just hang onto my money here and pick up some earlier games that have been well proven and defined in the open marketplace.

#3 9 years ago

The longer you are in this hobby, the sooner you will realize that pinball companies are not Apple.

They are run by old men who still think that AOL is the internet (and that's only because Prodigy got shut down).

Many high end audio companies are the same way. No manuals online, website gets updated months after product has been introduced, no pictures of rear panels, no videos of complex alignment procedures....we call it MBOM (marketing by old men).

#4 9 years ago

Considering none of the new games you are thinking are done, it makes sense.. They may be 80%+ on mechanical and artwork and may even give initial impression they are complete, but without good software, they are really just 250 lb paperweights.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They are run by old men who still think that AOL is the internet (and that's only because Prodigy got shut down).

LOL

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I have been in on THLE since day one. But from what I have seen so far its not worth giving up a game to make space over. Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking the game at all. I just think it might not be my cup of tea. I am really surprised that neither of the major manufacturers has bothered to produce and show a good video of their games in action at these "reveals". Why not? Why do they leave that to be done by pinheads with inferior equipment (cell phone videos) at expos under absolutely terrible uncontrolled lighting conditings (over lighting at expo washes out all colors) that allow so many of us potential buyers to make decisions that "we don't want it" based on the videos and cell pics that get posted by other pinheads.
Whatever happened to properly marketing your product? I just don't get it. If I were running a company trying to sell a new product I would be making over the top videos or camera shots that fully explained things with great detail. And I'm not just knocking JJP here. Its all the manufacturers that are bragging about their wares at expo.

Posts like this make me miss the old days. Back in the day (pre-internet), there was no information. You just showed up at the arcade and bam, a new game was there. And you know what? We liked it like that. Surprises like that are awesome.

One of the best days of my pinball life was the day High Speed showed up at Golfland. Because of extenuating circumstances at the time, the loud cop radio audio I heard when I first walked in scared the hell out of me. I thought I was busted. Turned out a pretty good game showed up at the arcade that day. No cops. A couple of decades later I got to know the dude who designed it and told him about that day. He very much enjoyed the story.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Posts like this make me miss the old days. Back in the day (pre-internet), there was no information. You just showed up at the arcade and bam, a new game was there. And you know what? We liked it like that.

#8 9 years ago

No shit, if someone could develop and great product and have some decent marketing they could kill it, problem is none of them have the whole package, its mind blowing. You don't need to be Apple, just have enough common sense to compete like your life depended on it?

#9 9 years ago

Another thing is - some people dont go on the internet - I've met people that havent heard of certain companies at shows - they only buy goodies at shows and nowhere else...

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

» YouTube video

There were no fancy ramps on our games, The games had no ramps and We liked it.
We didn't have Multiballs in our games, The games only had one ball and we liked it.
We didn't have fancy DMDs and LCD screens, The games had scoring reels and we liked it.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

» YouTube video

I like being an old fark.

******CONTAINS NOT SAFE FOR WORK LANGUAGE*******

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 25.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-have-to-dig-for-information-on-a-new-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.