(Topic ID: 206344)

Why Do We Buy NIB LE Games Instaed Of A Base Model?

By whthrs166

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it ok for a manufacturer to sell over the counter special features/upgrades from an LE game after building”

• Yes, all options on the list for an LE game should be available to everyone else with the lower class game. (except the number) 24 votes
      19%
    • No, LE means that whatever is advertised on the LE game list (making it an LE) is for LE purchases only. 58 votes
      47%
    • Maybe, some minor items should be available, but there should alaways be a distinquishing feature for LE only 33 votes
      27%
    • Doesn't matter I just buy an LE because I think it is a good deal. 9 votes
      7%

(124 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Used-2004-Toyota-Sienna-LE (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago

There is an old quote:
    "Just because you can, does not mean you should."

"We" is not inclusive of "all" in this hobby at least by many.
    What should be defined is the term "we".
    New owners, collectors in general, or enthusiasts?
    Certainly not players.
    "Owning games to play" is never a good option for sustainment.
    LEs are not generally that lucrative or worthwhile, and only exists in its modern form of this industry for less than the last 5 years. It is like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick attached to its back. Status symbols fade with time, if a person sticks around, just like the preorder industry model that is dying as prices rose uncontrollably the same amount of time. People are finally educating themselves that 500-1000 LE games is not limited for a title. In boutique companies attempts are no longer equitable for 300 runs such as RZ, Jetsons, or anything else.

The number of limited edition games prior to TODAY in the past 30 years can be counted on less than two hands.
    The only true exception of a limited edition game that sold very well to private owners in a time before 1999 was TAFG, which over 65% sold to collectors. The "why" was direct. The original game was unavailable to buyers (operators bought out the stock for routes), original versions were already played out, and BLY/WMS still had plenty of parts and cabinets to cash back in on the game. It was a good financial decision.
    There are still a few TAFG even in their boxes today remaining, but kept in that method for the same unfortunate reasons as buying an LE game. Why own a game a person still refuses to play or simply wants to show off to others?
    "Look at this TAFG still in its box." (But I refuse to sell the game, which I personally have witnessed)
    Hardly impressive to most that have been around the block.
    No jealousy on my part, I have owned enough games and know what I want remaining.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-buy-nib-le-games-instaed-of-a-base-model?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.