Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E2E7A28-5340-4462-A7C5-A053ADA4DD62 (resized).jpeg
    200.gif
    re (resized).png
    AEFDF863-2013-4B57-B777-82BA721584CC (resized).png
    A_Little_Game_of_Bagatelle,_Between_Old_Abe_the_Rail_Splitter_&_Little_Mac_the_Gunboat_General_MET_DP808899 (resized).jpg
    554252D3-8701-4873-B4AE-7FEA5DE2E534.gif
    confuciussaywithglass (resized).jpg
    th (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    table (resized).jpg
    table (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    kramers-coffee-table-book (resized).jpg
    IMG_0542 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0543 (resized).JPG
    pinball_table (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball-is-great.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago

I believe pin tables games and "table" terminology has been around since about the 1750's, more so in Western Europe.
    My guess is that the term Pinball Machines became more widely used in USA in the mid/late 1940's after WWII as the games took on more varied and complex parts and mechanisms, playfield components, flippers, etc.
    Virtual pinball did give new life to the word tables.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrockstar:

,i live in western europe, we call everything a table over here..

Quoted from pinballrockstar:

But nobody calls it table over here.

These two statements seem to oppose each other.

From reading your reply post pinballrockstar, and re-reading my earlier post, I guess I could have added more detail to clarify better what I was trying to say, but I was trying not to type lengthy paragraphs.

The OP's title for this topic is “Why do some people call it a "Table"?” So I assume we are all in agreement that calling it a pinball machine is what most everyone calls them all over the world both today and for at least several decades, and that *some* people call them a table sometimes, but not as much as in years past. I was sort of commenting as to when the different terminology came to being used.

The word(s) "machine/machines" shows up in various industry documents in the 1950's, and sometimes even back in the 30's and 40's.
    Some examples being: Amusement Pinball Machines, Amusement Machines, Coin Machines, Machine.

I did see a couple Gottlieb flyers calling their products a "Pin Game" (1947 Humpty Dumpty, & 1950 Bank-a-Ball).
    Gottlieb started using the phrase "Flipper Skill Game" back in the 1960's.

Gottlieb was using "Table" and "Pin Table" at least occasionally in mid 30's from what I noticed.

Often times over the decades the manufacturers just called them "Games" or "Novelty Games".

Here in the South and Midwest (in USA), almost everyone I ever talk to calls them pinball machines, from mid-70's to present day.
    I rarely hear someone calling them a table.
    Exception is when you hear The Who's Pinball Wizard song being played on the radio.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Once upon a time - way back when they actually LOOKED like tables. Around the early bagatelle days. Those certainly looked like tables.
    Things evolved over time and now we have pinball machines

Agreed.

Here's a link showing a pin table game dating back to 1750's to 1770's era. Have to scroll down a bit once at that website.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball-is-great.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-some-people-call-it-a-table?tu=pinball-is-great and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.