Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E2E7A28-5340-4462-A7C5-A053ADA4DD62 (resized).jpeg
    200.gif
    re (resized).png
    AEFDF863-2013-4B57-B777-82BA721584CC (resized).png
    A_Little_Game_of_Bagatelle,_Between_Old_Abe_the_Rail_Splitter_&_Little_Mac_the_Gunboat_General_MET_DP808899 (resized).jpg
    554252D3-8701-4873-B4AE-7FEA5DE2E534.gif
    confuciussaywithglass (resized).jpg
    th (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    table (resized).jpg
    table (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    kramers-coffee-table-book (resized).jpg
    IMG_0542 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0543 (resized).JPG
    pinball_table (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanQverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago

Even on my favorite table, he can beat my best.

"Table" doesn't bug me, but "deck" does.

I also understand that some other languages refer to them as "flippers"!

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

DanQ > LMK when you want to come play some decks at my place

I'm too old to be skateboarding!

chocolate_pinball_series_decks (resized).jpgchocolate_pinball_series_decks (resized).jpg

(Seriously, thanks for the invite, I shall take you up on it someday! You are welcome here too!)

#27 7 years ago

Hmmm, my oldest "pin"ball indeed looks quite table-like!

oldest (resized).jpgoldest (resized).jpg

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is the first time I've heard it referred to as a pinaball machine.

Are you sure?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&what=posts&q=pinaball&topic-machine=&pinsider=&age_days=&subforum=0&include_basement=1&sort_by=date&sort_order=ASC#results
    (In 38 posts before this thread.)

You've even used it yourself!

Quoted from o-din:

I want my DMDs like pizza. Fully loaded with all the goodies. But for sex, strip it down and make me feel it! Oh, is this a pinaball forum...... oops....

5 years later
    #104 1 year ago

It occurred to me in another thread that "table" is actually a better term than "machine" for what our beloved pinball games are and do.

For one thing, they resemble a table to a far greater extent than they resemble any machine. This is a self-evident fact. What machine has four legs and a great big empty space beneath it? (AT-ATs aren't real, btw.)

But mainly, a machine is a device that performs work! Look it up! Which is the exact opposite of what a pinball game does! You don't do work with a pin, you play it!

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pinball machine must calculate points to advance balls; machine

Not "work." In the physics sense.

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Ball goes up an incline - that's 'work'
    Ball goes up from tough to playfield - that's 'work'
    Everytime a coil fires.. that's work...
    Work in physics is easy to define in a pinball machine.

And what is the end result of all that "work"? A game. Play.

"Hey Bob, bring me that pinball machine, I need this ball to roll up an incline temporarily."

Machines are created to accomplish something. The only work a pinball manufactures is getting the player all worked up!

And I'm still waiting for an example of a machine with four legs and a big empty space under it.

A table saw, maybe? But, wait, we have no problem invoking the nomenclature "table" for that!

Finally, a few minutes of Googling reveals the term "pinball table" was in use long before that silly Who song, in Billboard magazine on Feb 26, 1949 for instance. https://books.google.com/books?id=OPYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA109&dq=%22pinball+table

So, to answer the original question, why do some people call it a table? Because that is a word some people use to describe it! That is how language works. If it bothers anyone, that's on them for being narrow minded. Maybe they'd be happier speaking a simpler, less flexible language.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanQverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-some-people-call-it-a-table?tu=DanQverymuch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.