Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E2E7A28-5340-4462-A7C5-A053ADA4DD62 (resized).jpeg
    200.gif
    re (resized).png
    AEFDF863-2013-4B57-B777-82BA721584CC (resized).png
    A_Little_Game_of_Bagatelle,_Between_Old_Abe_the_Rail_Splitter_&_Little_Mac_the_Gunboat_General_MET_DP808899 (resized).jpg
    554252D3-8701-4873-B4AE-7FEA5DE2E534.gif
    confuciussaywithglass (resized).jpg
    th (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    table (resized).jpg
    table (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    kramers-coffee-table-book (resized).jpg
    IMG_0542 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0543 (resized).JPG
    pinball_table (resized).png
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

I am curious why some people refer to a pinball machine as a "Table"? It doesn't resemble a table at all, yeah it has 4 legs but thats about it. You don't put stuff on it and sit around it......so why call it a table???

#2 7 years ago

Thank God for the drain feature...

#3 7 years ago

*waits for pictures of people eating at their pinball machine in the dining room*

#4 7 years ago

Hahaha - I agree - calling a pinball machine a table really pisses me off.

#5 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/table-or-pinball

I think the voting speaks for itself.

#6 7 years ago

I call it a machine 95% of the time, sometimes I just call them games, but table definitely still gets some use from me.

The real question... who cares and why does it piss anyone off?

#7 7 years ago

Pool Table, Foosball Table, Poker Table, Shuffleboard Table; folks get used to calling things like this in their game rooms tables out of habit. Relax, go play pinball.

#8 7 years ago

Mine don't have any pins in them, so I guess it could be a tableball.

#9 7 years ago

It doesn't bother me. I don't get why the term "table" is so upsetting to some people.

I think the better question is: why does calling a pinball machine a table really grind your gears?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Thank God for the drain feature...

That would be a 'bathtub'.

Noob.

#11 7 years ago

I thought I was the Bally TABLE King! Ever hear that song?The Who?? Hello??Anybody home??Guess not!!But the lights are on??

#12 7 years ago

Even on my favorite table, he can beat my best.

"Table" doesn't bug me, but "deck" does.

I also understand that some other languages refer to them as "flippers"!

#13 7 years ago

I noticed this when I dabbled in Visual Pinball, they tend to call them tables. I just thought it was odd

#14 7 years ago

Bagatelle, the mother of pinball, was referred to as a table game related to billiards tables. Don't any of you pinheads know your pinball history?

pic_msm09 (resized).JPGpic_msm09 (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago

Bump wayout440,exactly! If you read my story,thats what got me hooked on pinball!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Mine don't have any pins in them, so I guess it could be a tableball.

Do new games no longer have a finish nail or two hidden under the plastics somewhere? Are those nails there to legally call a game a "pin" ball in some jurisdictions? I read that once somewhere, maybe what I read was BS. Anyone know for sure?

#17 7 years ago

In the Atari-era, some people were determined to call Atari cartridges "tapes" no matter how extra-nerdy it made them come across to everyone else.

Today, these people call pins/pinball machines "tables".

Everyone is special in their own way.

#18 7 years ago

We get guests at work who rent DVDs from our lobby and call them "tapes", haha. As for pinball, it depends who I'm around. Most casual players call them "tables" or "machines", while "pin" is strictly a hobbyist term.

#19 7 years ago

"Tables" had a resurgence thanks to Virtual Pinball. They needed a way to refer to the different machines without calling them machines.

I know people in the UK have used "tables" for a long time but it was never popular over here. I only started hearing it when I came back to the hobby two years ago.

#20 7 years ago

Pinball machine or table sounds better than just calling them pins, a feature than no longer exists on modern tables.

#21 7 years ago

I like decks, tables, pinballs, machines. It does not really matter. All the same thing and just preference or slang.

DanQ > LMK when you want to come play some decks at my place

#22 7 years ago

It's funny, the arcade guys have the same goofy argument, they get all bent out of shape when people call arcade machines "arcades" and ask the newbies if they're talking about their businesses sarcastically. Thank god nobody cares about the word "pinballs". Maybe we should make sure they're talking about their machines instead of little silver balls!

#23 7 years ago

Yeah, I don't really get "Table" either. It doesn't bother me, I just think it's kind of weird...

For a general term, I'll usually use "machine", as in "that's a fun machine!"

"That's a good table"
    "I like that table"

Nah, kind of odd...

#24 7 years ago

"Pins" is the geekiest insider term for collectors/hobbyists. Generally whenever someone asks me how many "pins" I have, it'll often turn out to be a fun discussion.

#25 7 years ago

I can see pins since pin it's short for pinball.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

DanQ > LMK when you want to come play some decks at my place

I'm too old to be skateboarding!

chocolate_pinball_series_decks (resized).jpgchocolate_pinball_series_decks (resized).jpg

(Seriously, thanks for the invite, I shall take you up on it someday! You are welcome here too!)

#27 7 years ago

Hmmm, my oldest "pin"ball indeed looks quite table-like!

oldest (resized).jpgoldest (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

in the UK pins were traditionally called pin tables and in early gaming legislation were referred to as such. No-one under 40 would use the term anymore though. many old school engineers I know prefer deck to playfield and backflash to backglass. only last week I had a call offering a "Corvette table with a nice deck"

#29 7 years ago

I believe pin tables games and "table" terminology has been around since about the 1750's, more so in Western Europe.
    My guess is that the term Pinball Machines became more widely used in USA in the mid/late 1940's after WWII as the games took on more varied and complex parts and mechanisms, playfield components, flippers, etc.
    Virtual pinball did give new life to the word tables.

#30 7 years ago

Not sure why people would want to call them tables unless they want to feel special and stand out. I used to know a guy who would call cocktail video machines "cocktables". I have NO idea where he got that term from (it was probably his own creation) but when questioned about it he'd look at you as if you had 2 heads. Weird.....

#31 7 years ago

Stern calls them tables in some of their recent game flyers.

#32 7 years ago

I just hate it when people call them "flappers"!

#33 7 years ago

I enjoy when people call them decks. It makes me laugh when people call console controllers paddles.

#34 7 years ago

There are a few people here at work that get confused and say "So, how many ping-pongs do you have again?"

Uuuummmmmm...none.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

I believe pin tables games and "table" terminology has been around since about the 1750's, more so in Western Europe.
    My guess is that the term Pinball Machines became more widely used in USA in the mid/late 1940's after WWII as the games took on more varied and complex parts and mechanisms, playfield components, flippers, etc.
    Virtual pinball did give new life to the word tables.

Dude,i live in western europe, we call everything a table over here..
    Lol
    But we call it "flipperkast" and translated from our Dutch language to english that means "closet with flippers"!!
    Never thought about that,real stupid name in Dutch?
    But nobody calls it table over here.

#36 7 years ago

Ya I don't like table and add the word 'pin' to my shit list

#37 7 years ago

I don't know why they call them tables either, 'tableheads' doesn't work.

#38 7 years ago

pinball_table (resized).pngpinball_table (resized).png

"I have a good condition folding pinball table on wheels for sale! It works good, just don't have the space for it!"

From an old, long gone CL ad.

#39 7 years ago

Im partial to the name flipper, but it reminds me of an aquatic sea mammal.

#40 7 years ago

A pinball machine by any other name is still a pinball machine.
    It's got all three elements
    " Pin " as in assorted connections through Molex connectors and such.
    "Balls" need I say more
    "Machine" that's what it is.
    Lots of people call things by different names. Sometimes just to be different.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Hmmm, my oldest "pin"ball indeed looks quite table-like!

Nice deck Dan!

Never heard a pinball machine called a deck before. Looks like someone is trying to set a new trend.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Never heard a pinball machine called a deck before.

I think caucasion2step might have coined the term.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I am curious why some people refer to a pinball machine as a "Table"? It doesn't resemble a table at all, yeah it has 4 legs but thats about it. You don't put stuff on it and sit around it......so why call it a table???

When I read this, in my head I hear it in Jerry Seinfeld's voice.

#44 7 years ago

Most people I've heard refer to them as "tables" are European. I've actually got used to the term "table" lately, and it makes just as much sense as "machine." We could call a "car" a "driving machine", but we don't (unless you work in BMW marketing).

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrockstar:

,i live in western europe, we call everything a table over here..

Quoted from pinballrockstar:

But nobody calls it table over here.

These two statements seem to oppose each other.

From reading your reply post pinballrockstar, and re-reading my earlier post, I guess I could have added more detail to clarify better what I was trying to say, but I was trying not to type lengthy paragraphs.

The OP's title for this topic is “Why do some people call it a "Table"?” So I assume we are all in agreement that calling it a pinball machine is what most everyone calls them all over the world both today and for at least several decades, and that *some* people call them a table sometimes, but not as much as in years past. I was sort of commenting as to when the different terminology came to being used.

The word(s) "machine/machines" shows up in various industry documents in the 1950's, and sometimes even back in the 30's and 40's.
    Some examples being: Amusement Pinball Machines, Amusement Machines, Coin Machines, Machine.

I did see a couple Gottlieb flyers calling their products a "Pin Game" (1947 Humpty Dumpty, & 1950 Bank-a-Ball).
    Gottlieb started using the phrase "Flipper Skill Game" back in the 1960's.

Gottlieb was using "Table" and "Pin Table" at least occasionally in mid 30's from what I noticed.

Often times over the decades the manufacturers just called them "Games" or "Novelty Games".

Here in the South and Midwest (in USA), almost everyone I ever talk to calls them pinball machines, from mid-70's to present day.
    I rarely hear someone calling them a table.
    Exception is when you hear The Who's Pinball Wizard song being played on the radio.

#46 7 years ago

my wife never calls it a table,
    she loves tables! and any other furniture

she calls them :stand in the way's

weird thing is : thats how i call her mother!

#47 7 years ago

In Australia
    Old school days we like to refer to a Pinball Machine as

Pinny

Lets go play some Pinny/Pinnies mate !

I could never appreciate the term Table

Understand Europe, Flipper, for me this is not appealing as well

Each to their own hey

Down under for me at least............ its a
    Pinny

Thanks USA so much for Pinball, the best fun ever
    Well after a couple of other sweet things anyway

#48 7 years ago

I got into a slightly heated discussion over this with another guy once, and in the end we kind of agreed to disagree.

For someone like me it derives from digital pinball where they always seemed to be referred to as 'tables' rather than 'machines' in games - I guess because you don't actually have the physical machine in front of you to play. You just have the playfield, or the table.

I posted a topic once on another site using 'table' and this guy just nitpicked at it 'Table, whats pinball table?' 'You know...a machine, table, whatever.' 'If you walked into a bar round these parts and asked them if they had a pinball table they'd have no idea what you were talking about, it's a machine.' At this point I just kind of went 'Okay guy.' and gave up. I couldn't fathom that someone would have no idea what the difference between referring to it as a 'pinball table' and 'pinball machine' would be and he maintained if I kept calling it a table I'd just get goofy looks because nobody would know what I was referring to. Hell I could probably ask 'Got a pinball?' and they'd know what I meant!

#49 7 years ago

Once upon a time - way back when they actually LOOKED like tables. Around the early bagatelle days. Those certainly looked like tables.

Things evolved over time and now we have pinball machines NOT tables anymore. Modern pinball machines (last 30+ years) don't look anything like a table and so it is pretty silly to call them that when referring to a modern style machine.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Once upon a time - way back when they actually LOOKED like tables. Around the early bagatelle days. Those certainly looked like tables.
    Things evolved over time and now we have pinball machines

Agreed.

Here's a link showing a pin table game dating back to 1750's to 1770's era. Have to scroll down a bit once at that website.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-some-people-call-it-a-table?hl=tpoeckh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.