Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by eagle18
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1957B9B5-0636-4206-814C-DC843E7D01E0 (resized).jpeg
    738C52D6-5122-416D-BAB3-8DC1FE3BBE8E (resized).jpeg

#1 12 months ago

Why do pinballs have a ‘Match Number’?

Why did the manufactures add another way to score a free game that is not based on the players ability ?
    Curious as to the first game to introduce this feature

#2 12 months ago

It entices people to play... you may win a free game. Simple to add and increase profits. Adds an element of gambling as well but without a real pay out. It’s another feature to attract players so why not! Ops make money and buy more games. Win for manufactures and ops. As a player it’s always nice when you have that one killer game and get the match on top of it! One of the best ideas added to pinball before having one in your home was ever a thing. May not be the only reason it was added but it sounds logical as these were meant to make money.

#3 12 months ago

I figured it dates back to when you could win free games from flipperless machines and sell them back to the house for money. It was a way around direct gambling and then they cracked down on that but the free game feature probably still enticed players. Now it was random instead of skill based.
    Perhaps that, for a time, evaded any legal troubles?

#4 12 months ago

That's an interesting question. I know it's all random anyway, but it seems like there might be a more fun way of giving out random free games that's not based on the last digits of your score.

#5 12 months ago

Well, it beats Steve Ritchie on a video message telling you to just "Play Better!"

#6 12 months ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I know it's all random anyway,

Kind of. On an EM one of the reels advances the match unit for each advance click of the reel. So if you were keeping count. You know what the match number would be.

Of course hard to keep track of that number and also end on it.

LTG : )

#7 12 months ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

Well, it beats Steve Ritchie on a video message telling you to just "Play Better!"

Steve has been laughing at us since Black Knight

#8 12 months ago

If you have two or more players and you get one match, it entices you to put more quarters into the game so everyone can play again. One free 25 cent game might make you put 75 cents back into the machine. That's a win for the operator.

#9 12 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Kind of. On an EM one of the reels advances the match unit for each advance click of the reel. So if you were keeping count. You know what the match number would be.

Too much work to keep count, but...

Occasionally an EM game would get stuck matching on the same two numbers. When this happened, if you were having a crummy game, on ball 5 you would get the last two digits to the matching number, then tilt or let it drain. Because EM's often had a few 10 point switches, it wasn't hard. If you had a good game going, you'd go for the three replays available by score, then try to match too.

We cashed in coke bottles for pinball money back then, so we really pinched every quarter we had. Not our fault the tech didn't notice the match number wasn't changing.

#10 12 months ago

At the Arcade- I can’t tell you how many times I have decided “This is my last game”- then get a match...
    I can’t just leave a credit, so I play that “free” game, then pay for another, then pay for another.
    Then decide “this is my last game”- then get a match... and start putting in more quarters...
    It seems like the machine “knows” when you are about to go home, and sucks you back in with a match...

#11 12 months ago

and I believe from sys11 games on they are programmed to give more often a match when you're playing multiplayer games - as one person would get a match, the others would have to pay to again play with multiple players, resulting in more coin drop..

#12 12 months ago

It would be a cool game feature to hit a target to set your match point, then you can try to end your game with the right points to win a game. I would take out the randomness and make it a skill

#13 12 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

LTG : )

I can't remember which game it was, but at one point a game passed through my collection where the match unit stepped up by 1 just as you say, but the numbers weren't in order-- essentially making it "random". If you were to keep track of it for 10 games, you could figure out the order, as the non-sequential series would repeat. I don't know how common that was, or if it was something changed by an operator, but I thought it was near.

#14 12 months ago

I think the match feature is a great lottery system and the kicker attracts attention to the game. We used to always leave credits for the kid watching you play.

#15 12 months ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

We used to always leave credits for the kid watching you play.

I think it’s a really cool thing to do to leave the credits, especially if there are kids or a family around. It’s so exciting for kids to feel like they hit the jackpot by getting a free game.

#16 12 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It would be a cool game feature to hit a target to set your match point, then you can try to end your game with the right points to win a game. I would take out the randomness and make it a skill

My 1954 shuffle alley has a setting to show (“skill”) or hide (“mystery”) at the *beginning* of the game, the number needed to match at end of game.

#17 12 months ago
    738C52D6-5122-416D-BAB3-8DC1FE3BBE8E (resized).jpeg1957B9B5-0636-4206-814C-DC843E7D01E0 (resized).jpeg
    #18 12 months ago

Matching does not go back before flippers. It started in the mid-1950s and was a big craze for pinball, pitch-and-bat baseball, bowling "shuffle alley" games, and even some rifles and bumper pool games. When the craze first started, manufacturers tried to outdo each other with double and triple matches involving additional stepper units. Not really a triple "match" exactly, but if the digits matched, then the game would go further to randomly light a clover symbol, and if that hit, it would go further to randomly light a star, to give one example.

In games where the score was displayed with light-up panels on the backglass, the lowest-order scoring digits (tens of thousands, usually) would have a parallel set of spaces where a star symbol could appear.
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2034&picno=25728
    The presence of a "00" panel is an indication that there is a match feature. Games having light-up scoring but no match do not have a "00,000" light.
    .................David Marston

#19 12 months ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

That's an interesting question. I know it's all random anyway, but it seems like there might be a more fun way of giving out random free games that's not based on the last digits of your score.

not random
    on my Gottlieb Sure shot the match unit advances 3 places when the game is started and 1 place every time 10 points is scored

#20 12 months ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I can't remember which game it was, but at one point a game passed through my collection where the match unit stepped up by 1 just as you say, but the numbers weren't in order-- essentially making it "random"

The numbers are not in order. The schematic shows the order.

We used to think there was a sensor in the door that gave a match when detecting that we'd moved away from the game, to draw us back.

#21 12 months ago

On my 1959 Mademoiselle pin- If both players match it gives 10 credits. It rarely happens, but super cool when it does.

#22 12 months ago

Oh Boy is adjustable for 1,5, or 10 replays if both players match!

#23 12 months ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I can't remember which game it was, but at one point a game passed through my collection where the match unit stepped up by 1 just as you say, but the numbers weren't in order-- essentially making it "random". If you were to keep track of it for 10 games, you could figure out the order, as the non-sequential series would repeat. I don't know how common that was, or if it was something changed by an operator, but I thought it was near.

Here is the order for a Wms 1964 game (Heat Wave): 0 4 9 5 2 8 3 7 1 6

Seems like it would be the same for all Wms of the era. Doesn't seem like there'd be any reason to keep reinventing a new order for new titles.

I don't want no cheatin' now!!

#24 12 months ago

I remember one operator told me that he would spread around the arcade was that his match % was set to 10%, meaning you'd get a free game for every 10 played. Some players would then play 10 games to get a free game. Since it was random it didn't always work that way, but for the most part, instead of playing a game or 2 for $.50 each, guys were spending $5 just to get that free game. Pretty genius.

#25 12 months ago

Its great hearing that knocker hit on a match after playing a bad game that u know your nowhere near winning a game.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside