(Topic ID: 104361)

Why do pinball manufacturers ignore game appearance?!?

By CraZ4Pin

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PM-322.jpg
    BM.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Okay, an honest question wanting a logical response. I understand many pinheads say that they could care less about a topper. They might even say they don't care about cabinet art, or powdercoating, or chrome or whatever. They only care about the game. But WHY have arcade video game manufacturers realized that drawing in the $1 is crucial? That lights, signage, appearance is crucial? Take a look at the latest BM game for example .. I now know several folks who have put a $1 into this game just to try it (despite the game having essentially ZERO skill required and no real objective.) The appearance of the game just draws you in.

Why don't we see more creative toppers, signage, and cabinet designs in pinball??? STLE (with the side lighting phasers) is about the most innovative outward appearance change we've seen (possibly ever??).
    BM.jpgBM.jpg

Pinball manufacturers (ALL of you .. Stern, JJP, Skit-B, DP, etc.) ... are essentially using the exact same cabinet design from 30 years ago. If video game manufacturers have realized how to draw in customers ... why haven't you/we?
    PM-322.jpgPM-322.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Stern makes games from licenced themes
    License owners are fussy over their property
    It is easier to Photoshop existing images in order to get approval

Comes down to $$

#3 9 years ago

Hmm....becasue they are selling mostly to the home market....whom can't fit a 3 foot ugly topper in their basement? What, that isn;t true. Pinball folk love huge ugly toppers

#4 9 years ago

Or is this just an "end around" to get to talk aboot LCD screens?

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Or is this just an "end around" to get to talk aboot LCD screens?

I sense there is a whole lot of sarcasm there but I'm not quite sure, lol. There's a lot more than an LCD. Just unique cabinet designs, signage, toppers, under cabinet lighting, whatever!! Hell, why can't you sit down to a pinball-style game like the above Bat Man does?? Think out of the box! Multimorphic almost went that direction by thinking to eliminate the upper cabinet.

As for an LCD .. well, an LCD is nothing to be proud of. I mean yes, finally, 1 manufacturer (JJP) did it! But an LCD (or CRT for that matter) could/should have been incorporated years ago (more than 10 for sure). To say, yay, we're ahead of every other pinball manufacturer, but we're 20 years behind all other arcade games is silly.

I honestly do not believe Jack started JJP to cater to the home market. I believe he did it to bring a new revival to pinball.

Do you want to just keep pinball alive or do you want to push it to the forefront of culture again??

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Do you want to just keep pinball alive or do you want to push it to the forefront of culture again??

Just want to keep it the same. Not an OP so I don't have any real love for pushing it forward and making is as "garrish(sp?)" as dancing games. Not interested; don't care. LCD screens? Maybe they're cool, I don't know, I'll just cradle the ball and get the info. I'm just saying this as my view, we all have diff'rent ideas on things.

EDIT: Also since I've been alive it was never the "forefront of culture." It was what "those potheads/punks/losers" did.

#7 9 years ago

Sorry, but pinball is dead

Trying to get todays teens into pinball like we were will never happen

Video gAmes and phone apps have us beat

#8 9 years ago

I just gave the original post a thumbs up because I have literally seen more garrish labeling/atttractions on sale at pinside and gobbling it up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-pinball-manufacturers-ignore-game-appearance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.