Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 905 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Travish
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th (resized).jpg
    pinballgirl (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    vhsbeta (resized).png
    giphy (5).gif
    11alphabits (resized).jpg
    1367487-telepathy (resized).jpg
    482d1cb2215bcaa255baca5e4649ed4c (resized).jpg
    grc (resized).jpg
    ugly man (resized).jpg
    B0168871-9AE8-4D7E-AE3C-04E8520B8BCF.PNG
    AF17668D-9BB3-40A7-9881-97631D0DB4A0.JPG
    image.png
    8204497A-92EC-49A3-B6C2-54D9F29742CE.JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    joke (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

My wife regularly comments at shows "pinball people are wierd and smell funky"

That's called musk.

#116 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

TBH, this thread was made all in fun. I wasn't planning on any serious drama. Women are objectified on a lot of Pinball table art, and I have more family members that are female that are in to pinball than male. Heck, if I recall there was a thread about the sexiest pinball backglass and that thread happened to be started by a woman too.
    As for this topic, I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say it's because maybe pinball has a more mature and financially stable audience. I do happen to know many more gaming nerds that aren't married than pinball guys. Back when coin-op auctions were flourishing, I recall a completely different caliber of clientele bidding on pinball machines than those bidding on arcade machines.
    Now, if you wish to consider everyone that owns a Playstation or Xbox a "gaming nerd", then sure the numbers of married gaming guys will be skewed.
    Finally, I apologize for anyone that was seriously offended by this thread. That certainly wasn't my intention. Most threads I read here are about repairs, if sexism is a big issue for the other women here, all I can do is give my apologies for starting this thread and leave it at that.

I've enjoyed this thread a bunch so don't let others get you down. Some people just don't know how to take a joke.

#182 7 years ago

images (1).jpgimages (1).jpg

#189 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Awaiting a FB crybaby post...

and where may I find this mythical Facebook post?

Edit: forgot a word

#206 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

Also, does your partner ever like watching you play?

This is something I like to do with video games more than pinball.

#208 7 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Yeah, watching a game like "Bioshock", or one of the Telltale games (Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead) is probably more engaging for a spectator.
    Pinball, if I'm having a really good game in the middle of a multi-player experience...most people (including my wife) are just thinking: "Dude, hurry up. I want to play, too."
    I mean, it might be cool to watch the game if it is new to all of us ("Woah! How'd you get that multiball!")....but after the 80th time of watching Apollo 13 barf a bucketload of balls onto the playfield, the novelty of being a spectator wears off.
    If we're in our arcade...my wife would much rather play her own game than just watch me.
    Pete

I do like watching if I'm involved in a multiplayer game but I thought the question was are there times a person likes watching rather than playing. I only like watching pinball if it's in a tournament setting.

#238 7 years ago

It's interesting how the people most uncomfortable with talking about sex and the attraction between sexes were religious people when I was growing up. It seemed that socially liberal people were the ones advocating for freedom of expression regarding images of men and women and sex. Today the reverse has happened where nearly all of the religious people I know are OK with movies and images depicting sex and the "feminists" or "SJWs" are the prudes.
    I'm not a person that curses a lot. I don't parade around shirtless or like pictures of scantily clad women in my home but I will not judge people and expect them to follow the guidelines I have set for my life. I've seen enough cultures in the world to know that people will never agree on what is right and what is wrong and I don't expect them too. If Japan wants to eat horse and dolphins, I may not partake but I won't condemn them. If Colorado and Washington want to smoke marijuana, I'll pass but go right ahead. If the people next door want to never cut their grass and let their house fall apart, it's embarrassing but it's their house. I don't understand this new trend of socially bullying and harassing people who have different ideas than you do. This recreational outrage.

hmmm....

I love pinball.

#244 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Right...but you have all the Social Injustice Warriors always getting offended by all of the SJWs. Back in the day when men were men, people had thicker skin, but now a tiny, petite feminist can cause SIWs to melt down in a huff.
    I think we all need to re-evaluate our self-images.

I'm not a big fan of the SJW term but it's hard to think of a better one. For myself I'm OK with people not agreeing with others' ideas but it's the social attacks and attempts to ostracize and quiet opposing opinions that I don't like.

#268 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I prefer pinball guys who get guys. Much cuter. Why haven't there been any gay pinball machines?

It's not guys on guys but girls on girls.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#270 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I prefer pinball guys who get guys. Much cuter. Why haven't there been any gay pinball machines?

Does this get your blood boiling?

#273 7 years ago

I laughed so hard at this image on Google.

#275 7 years ago

I did not make this but again found it on Google when I typed "gay pinball".

#276 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hey, that's Rareheros's house.

That's funny. I googled gay pinball and those images popped up from the KLOV forum.

#278 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I'm lucky that most pinball dudes are my type, gives me something to ogle while waiting in line at conventions.

True. The hetero men are marginalized at conventions because there aren't enough girls around. They tailor the conventions for the homosexuals and women.

#282 7 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

It's sad..... I really enjoyed Molly when she participated on Pinside. I was bummed when she quit posting. It just seems a bit ironic that the reason she stopped posting is because she found a couple of people to be rude, yet she refers to the mods (sans Blondetall) as "shitbags" which is...well....being pretty rude.
    I feel the mods do a terrific job. They're volunteers that put up with a lot of unnecessary drama, not to mention banned Pinsiders that seem to open a new account on a daily basis.
    ...and I sincerely doubt Molly's version of Robin's response.

I just listened to a podcast from he-who-shall-not-be-named (I know I shouldn't have) and he mentioned how he has a ton of duplicate accounts and is posting every day. That's a mature response to being banned from a site.

#333 7 years ago
    Quoted from kayluh:

I hate nearly every fucking post in this thread and want to set it on fire. Buncha disgusting, disrespectful assholes. Keep on jerking off with one hand and refreshing Pinside with the other. I'll be out setting high scores and making friends with people who share the common interest. Y'all are fucking gross.

This brought to mind the sexism in pinball thread on Tilt forums. I thought it was a good discussion but there were one or two voices that were opposing views to the majority. They weren't outright ejected but there was a little tension felt just for having a different voice. They acted like they couldn't have that discussion on pinside but it seemed like what they wanted were opinions like their own so they could pat each other on the back.

Yet here we are in a thread where a woman wanted to know if there is a correlation between guys who are into pinball and their ability to be in a relationship and the same people from tilt forums are going bonkers but they're not ejected or discouraged. One person asks for pics with guys and pinball. Another person says this thread is making fun of gay people. It seems like sex is a topic that's off limits for these people. It's weird. I like hearing opinions from all sides myself.

#335 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Whoa!
    It must be that time of the month! Am I right fellas?

Levi, I would never say that but I love you more for saying it.

#342 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't really MEAN it but come on, that's some low-hanging fruit.
    This is a pretty stupid thread and probably should have been in the basement from post 1. But how else do you respond to trolling than with trolling?

I understand it's a joke but it doesn't matter. People will take your post, pass it around, and click their tongues and wag their fingers. Jokes don't exist in their world.

#351 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

what does mocking gay people have to do with sex? this is the second time you have mistakenly associated objecting to sexism or homophobia with being prudish. i've got no problem with sexuality or the human body. the thread starting off with a bunch of comments about how women are attracted to dudes with money, and then someone posting a woman's picture and someone else responding with a critique of her looks, and kind of went down hill from there, until we got a page of "lol you said GAY" and "lol you LOOK gay" jokes.

I'll recap for you.

Quoted from trunchbull:

I don't know if Trunchbull was joking or not but I and others decided to throw a few jokes to include his side. None were malicious which removes homophobia of which I think you need to look up the definition. None were made mocking gay people. He wanted to be included so I complied.

I didn't mistake sexism or homophobia with prudishness. If people are upset over scantily clad men or women, if they are upset over double entendres and sex then they are prudish. Wouldn't you agree?

#535 7 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Not sure it's the same case, but there is at least one example from Canada, $42,000 fine for a joke:
    http://reason.com/blog/2016/08/22/this-comedian-was-fined-42000-for-tellin

I found the video linked in the article very interesting. A man from an organization that fights for individual rights in education noted how for most of his career (he started in '99) he was fighting administrators on the argument of free speech but for the last 2 or 3 years it has been the students that he has to fight for free speech rights. A lot of comedians have said they won't play campuses any more or have had trouble with students like Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Maher.

#596 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

As I recall her and another Lady, waiting to play Hobbit. And no one nearby that heard it did a damn thing.
    LTG

Well they were probably letting the ladies take care of themselves. I've read some comments where some women seem to be resistant to help. One person in the Tilt Forums took exception to someone holding the door open for them.

#766 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

In Australia a "fag" is slang for a cigarette.....so fag away if you like just don't blow the smoke in my direction.

It's very true that a lot of the political correctness and easily offended people come from the U.S. I'm not sure of the right term. It's almost Xenophobic (?) to push those agendas into other countries that don't have problems with confederate flags or slang words. They have meaning in the U.S. but the world doesn't care. The only thing similar I can think of is how Germany has Nazi symbols banned but in the U.S. it doesn't matter.

#771 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

"political correctness" is such a bullshit term. it has nothing to do with politics. it has to do with treating fellow human beings with dignity, and taking a second or two to consider how your words might affect other people before speaking. (i honestly don't know why that concept is so infuriating to some people.)

Obviously you should read up on the history of political correctness. Just because you can't draw the connection to politics doesn't mean there isn't one.

"The notion of political correctness has ignited controversy across the land. And although the movement arises from the laudable desire to sweep away the debris of racism and sexism and hatred, it replaces old prejudice with new ones. It declares certain topics off-limits, certain expression off-limits, even certain gestures off-limits."

This is an early description of "political correctness" when the term was just beginning to gain popularity.

I took the time to read an article on political correctness, it's history and it's use to today. I don't watch any political talk shows or listen to pundits on the radio but after reading, it does seem that a lot of political debate regarding political correctness today seemed misinformed and generally used as a way to use derogatory terms or views without getting punished. Pez, if you were referring to those uses of the term "political correctness", I can definitely see where you are coming from.

#797 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

the truth is our culture really is overflowing with bigotry. ask any woman or black guy about it and they will tell you endless stories of being slighted or discriminated against on a daily basis in ways both overt and subtle. a lot of it is ingrained so deeply in our culture in ways that are so normalized that straight white males don't even notice it. but yeah i'm "awful" for actually listening to them and sticking up for them instead of dismissing them.

I guess by culture you mean the U.S. right because other developed countries have different standards. It's hard to tell with blanket statements what you mean.

I believe in treating with respect. I believe in having a controlled temper and not calling people names. I believe in letting people be whatever they want to be. I think you believe in these too but your posts come off very confrontational and pretentious. "the truth is our culture really is overflowing with bigotry." This statement is just not true. If you believe that it is where you live, it may be time to move.

Are these "endless stories of being slighted or discriminated against on a daily basis in ways both overt and subtle" similar to being just plain insulted? Because that happens. People call each other SOB or MFer or say F*** You. Will you try to eliminate these insults as well? There's a lot of mocking of Christians or Muslims or anybody who believes in a religion. Will you take up their cause when they are offended? You're starting to sound like this fella...

#799 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

oh awesome let's equate female anatomy with weakness. zero surprise the guy who unironically calls himself an alpha male likes the comment.
    next i suppose you will try to pretend you were referring to a cat and not a vagina. hint: if you have to revert to lies to support your position, maybe your position is wrong.

I don't believe you're making this statement to educate a person. You're making it to demean and belittle a person that hurled an insult in your direction. If he would have called you a fanny, would you be this upset? Did you even know that fanny is another way of saying pussy?

It's an interesting tactical response to a person that called you a name but it's just a fancy way of saying...

giphy (5).gifgiphy (5).gif

#803 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I popped back into this thread to see what was happening, and saw that its back on to the topic of what
    "words" are being used.
    At this moment, I have more meds hitting me than is legal with some annoying heart pain, and I wanted to contribute here,
    but I just see arguing over words.
    So videos and songs come to mind.
    The first is George Carlins Dirty Words...Growing up these were both taboo, and funny.
    Its almost irrelevant today, based on whats on TV or out of comedians mouths.
    Im sure you have seen it, but these words were offensive, and we werent suppose to say them...times change.
    » YouTube video
    The second is a rap song called, words. Its not really my taste in music, but the young man Caskey, just happens to be a friend...I help him sometimes in business, he helps me. The point is what a brilliant young man he is, and discussions here in this thread over words, is something we have chatted about. Hes insightful, and represents things Im too old for, but I respect we can dialogue with such huge differences and grow, without arguing about the words.....
    » YouTube video

Thanks for both of those vids, Art. They were very good.

#813 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i'm really not clear why you think using British slang to refer to a Vagina would be any less insulting to women, if the term was being used to mean weakness. the point is the people you are demeaning with your casual sexism, not the actual words themselves.

There you go putting words in my mouth. I never said that it would be less insulting. I asked if it made a difference to you because in our "culture" fanny means butt which isn't a reference to a women's genitalia. But if the person didn't mean it as butt but as a women's vulva and you didn't understand it because you didn't know fanny meant that till you Googled it 30 minutes ago, would you still be upset over "sexism"?Do you get upset over people calling you a "dick" since it demeans male genitalia?

I think you need to watch George Carlin and listen to the part where the list of words that offends you is different from the list of words of every other person and it changes every day.

#818 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

British culture is still Western culture despite minor dialect differences and using female anatomy to signify weakness is sexist regardless of which term you want to use. Does that make sense to you?

Not really because you stated this...

Quoted from pezpunk:

one handy hint is that it is the one you and i both live in

You may think that British culture is the same as American culture but you are wrong. Do you think black brits are offended by the Confederate Flag? Do you think they know who General Lee is? What do you think racism even looks like in Britain? Here's a hint it's very different from here in the U.S, as are the words that are offensive between you and every one else.

#820 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I care about trying to reduce the amount of casual sexism (bigotry, homophobia, etc) that flies by unnoticed by dudes but slaps women (etc) across the face.

You should been there in the beginning when we were formed from ooze and one person said to the other, "hey you're different."

#834 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

on the subject of slang and the American Civil War, you seem to want to quibble about specific historical incidents or vocabulary that people from other countries might not be familiar with. so what? when a Southern person flies a confederate flag, it has a specific historical context and impact on people of color which that person has no legitimate excuse for not understanding.

You wanted to start the quibbling by saying pussy was a sexist remark instead of what it was intended to be, an insulting remark.

Again you seem to want to look at things from your place of privilege instead of trying to see things from perspectives around the world. The confederate flag is another interesting example. Dukes of Hazzard is a show that is broadcast in many countries all over the world so many people are familiar with the car that has a confederate flag on the roof. I have heard quite a few foreigners who enjoyed the show and were fans of the car but had no understanding of what that flag means in the U.S. Are you going to judge them and shame them for owning a car or memorabilia with the flag on there in this country or their own?

I am in no way endorsing or judging the use of the confederate flag.

My point is your overlooking real problems by focusing on small incidental things. Instead of teaching, your preaching and in the process driving people further away instead allowing them to learn.

#843 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

to my knowledge i have not spent any time crusading against foreigners watching dubbed reruns of Dukes of Hazard.

You can dismiss my question. Maybe you're starting to learn that words' meanings aren't absolute.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-pinball-guys-all-get-girls?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.