New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 167099)

Why do pinball guys all get girls?

By Playmatic

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 905 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Travish
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 90 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th (resized).jpg
    pinballgirl (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    vhsbeta (resized).png
    giphy (5).gif
    11alphabits (resized).jpg
    1367487-telepathy (resized).jpg
    482d1cb2215bcaa255baca5e4649ed4c (resized).jpg
    grc (resized).jpg
    ugly man (resized).jpg
    B0168871-9AE8-4D7E-AE3C-04E8520B8BCF.PNG
    AF17668D-9BB3-40A7-9881-97631D0DB4A0.JPG
    image.png
    8204497A-92EC-49A3-B6C2-54D9F29742CE.JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    joke (resized).jpg

There are 893 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.
    #801 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

"political correctness" is such a bullshit term. it has nothing to do with politics. it has to do with treating fellow human beings with dignity, and taking a second or two to consider how your words might affect other people before speaking. (i honestly don't know why that concept is so infuriating to some people.)

Political correctness is based on the nonsensical right to not be offended. When did "feeling offended" or "having your feelings hurt" become such an issue that it legally justifies restricting everyones freedom? The last time I checked, freedom of speech was a genuine and legal right and the "right to not feel offended" was imaginary and non existent. Feeling offended is in the eye of the beholder: each person is in charge of their emotions. Choose to respond, react or ignore but don't blame someone else for your emotional state. To blame someone else because you feel angry, offended or upset shows an utter lack of emotional maturity.

Since when did we humans become such crybabies that we couldn't stand being called a word, name, or phrase. Grow up, please!

#802 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Political correctness is based on the nonsensical right to not be offended. When did "feeling offended" or "having your feelings hurt" become such an issue that it legally justifies restricting everyones freedom? The last time I checked, freedom of speech was a genuine and legal right and the "right to not feel offended" was imaginary and non existent. Feeling offended is in the eye of the beholder: each person is in charge of their emotions. Choose to respond, react or ignore but don't blame someone else for your emotional state. To blame someone else because you feel angry, offended or upset shows an utter lack of emotional maturity.
    Since when did we humans become such crybabies that we couldn't stand being called a word, name, or phrase. Grow up, please!

Yes please. Basically, put on your big girl panties and get over it or if it offend do something about it. Whining and crying that you are offended basically makes you a whiney little pansy.

#803 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I popped back into this thread to see what was happening, and saw that its back on to the topic of what
    "words" are being used.
    At this moment, I have more meds hitting me than is legal with some annoying heart pain, and I wanted to contribute here,
    but I just see arguing over words.
    So videos and songs come to mind.
    The first is George Carlins Dirty Words...Growing up these were both taboo, and funny.
    Its almost irrelevant today, based on whats on TV or out of comedians mouths.
    Im sure you have seen it, but these words were offensive, and we werent suppose to say them...times change.
    » YouTube video
    The second is a rap song called, words. Its not really my taste in music, but the young man Caskey, just happens to be a friend...I help him sometimes in business, he helps me. The point is what a brilliant young man he is, and discussions here in this thread over words, is something we have chatted about. Hes insightful, and represents things Im too old for, but I respect we can dialogue with such huge differences and grow, without arguing about the words.....
    » YouTube video

Thanks for both of those vids, Art. They were very good.

#804 4 years ago

Sometimes the meds are good, other times I have no clue what I am doing.....ahhhh old age and pain meds!!

#805 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

» YouTube video

Am I the only one who thinks she was probably getting a bitch?

#806 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I guess by culture you mean the U.S. right because other developed countries have different standards. It's hard to tell with blanket statements what you mean.

"culture" is not a blanket statement, it's very specific. i'm referring to Western culture. That is, the social norms, political systems, ethical values, traditions, belief systems, etc, shaped by European history, which dominates that continent as well as most of North America and Australia. So if it helps, substitute the previous sentence every time i use phrases like "our culture" or "Western society". if that's hard to remember, one handy hint is that it is the one you and i both live in.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I believe in treating with respect. I believe in having a controlled temper and not calling people names.

i've been called 100 names for every name i've called other people here on Pinside. I try not to do that (although my track record isn't perfect).

Quoted from dmbjunky:

"the truth is our culture really is overflowing with bigotry." This statement is just not true. If you believe that it is where you live, it may be time to move.

again ... ask a person of color or a woman about their experiences. most will tell you they deal with discrimination / subtle prejudice / harassment literally on a daily basis. i'm not going to move. i'm going to continue to speak up for my friends.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Are these "endless stories of being slighted or discriminated against on a daily basis in ways both overt and subtle" similar to being just plain insulted? Because that happens. People call each other SOB or MFer or say F*** You.

no, being followed around a department store or sexually harassed walking down the street or demeaned at work is not the same thing. also i literally cannot recall the last time someone said "fuck you" or called me motherfucker to my face (other than close friends in jest). do strangers really insult you and tell you to fuck off on a daily basis? because that is not normal.

#807 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I don't believe you're making this statement to educate a person. You're making it to demean and belittle a person that hurled an insult in your direction. If he would have called you a fanny, would you be this upset? Did you even know that fanny is another way of saying pussy?

i'm really not clear why you think using British slang to refer to a Vagina would be any less insulting to women, if the term was being used to mean weakness. the point is the people you are demeaning with your casual sexism, not the actual words themselves.

#808 4 years ago

So Pez......VHS, or BETA?

vhsbeta (resized).png

#809 4 years ago

Sexism at its best!

Trying to lighten it up.....

#810 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Political correctness is based on the nonsensical right to not be offended.

actually just the opposite. the Social Injustice Warriors are the babies who can't stand criticism, who seek a nonsensical right to be free from criticism for the things they say. if you say something inconsiderate, and someone calls you an asshole, that is not an infringement on your free speech. stop looking for special protection from the consequences of saying hurtful things.

Quoted from wayout440:

When did "feeling offended" or "having your feelings hurt" become such an issue that it legally justifies restricting everyones freedom?

how exactly is the legal system involved here? we are having a conversation on private messageboard. the very worst thing i can do to you is convince other people you're wrong. egads. i'm not restricting anyone's freedom in any way. actions have consequences. if someone insists on doing things that hurt others, that will tend to beget criticism.

Quoted from wayout440:

The last time I checked, freedom of speech was a genuine and legal right and the "right to not feel offended" was imaginary and non existent.

just like your imaginary right to not be criticized or called out for that speech.

Quoted from wayout440:

To blame someone else because you feel angry, offended or upset shows an utter lack of emotional maturity.

that's ridiculous. feelings aren't a sign of emotional immaturity. emotional immaturity is marked by things like an inability to empathize with the experiences of others, throwing tantrums, inability to admit fault or apologize, and tendencies to resort to namecalling.

#811 4 years ago

I love pezpunk and his views but it's off the rails at this point.

#812 4 years ago

Pez, as a friend, take a step back, have some dinner, a snickers bar, whatever.....sometimes even when right, you can be wrong.....all good, just take a break.

#813 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i'm really not clear why you think using British slang to refer to a Vagina would be any less insulting to women, if the term was being used to mean weakness. the point is the people you are demeaning with your casual sexism, not the actual words themselves.

There you go putting words in my mouth. I never said that it would be less insulting. I asked if it made a difference to you because in our "culture" fanny means butt which isn't a reference to a women's genitalia. But if the person didn't mean it as butt but as a women's vulva and you didn't understand it because you didn't know fanny meant that till you Googled it 30 minutes ago, would you still be upset over "sexism"?Do you get upset over people calling you a "dick" since it demeans male genitalia?

I think you need to watch George Carlin and listen to the part where the list of words that offends you is different from the list of words of every other person and it changes every day.

#814 4 years ago

"My Flipper Fingers"

#815 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Do you get as equally upset when a woman calls someone a Dick? Or is that empowering instead?

#816 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

There you go putting words in my mouth. I never said that it would be less insulting. I asked if it made a difference to you because in our "culture" fanny means butt which isn't a reference to a women's genitalia. But if the person didn't mean it as butt but as a women's vulva and you didn't understand it because you didn't know fanny meant that till you Googled it 30 minutes ago, would you still be upset over "sexism"?Do you get upset over people calling you a "dick" since it demeans male genitalia?

I think you need to watch George Carlin and listen to the part where the list of words that offends you is different from the list of words of every other person and it changes every day.

I already knew what fanny meant in British slang. I didn't have to google it or need you to tell me.

British culture is still Western culture despite minor dialect differences and using female anatomy to signify weakness is sexist regardless of which term you want to use. Does that make sense to you?

I don't care if people use "dick" as a derogatory term because dudes are in a position of privilege in Western society and none of them actually feel demeaned by the term. Any that claim to are only doing so in order to construct disingenuous attacks on feminism. Be honest.

#817 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Once again it has nothing to do with the specific words used. There are literally an infinite number of ways to be demeaning and insulting to others. There are also an infinite number of ways to *not* be demeaning and insulting to others. I don't care about specific words. I care about trying to reduce the amount of casual sexism (bigotry, homophobia, etc) that flies by unnoticed by dudes but slaps women (etc) across the face.

#818 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

British culture is still Western culture despite minor dialect differences and using female anatomy to signify weakness is sexist regardless of which term you want to use. Does that make sense to you?

Not really because you stated this...

Quoted from pezpunk:

one handy hint is that it is the one you and i both live in

You may think that British culture is the same as American culture but you are wrong. Do you think black brits are offended by the Confederate Flag? Do you think they know who General Lee is? What do you think racism even looks like in Britain? Here's a hint it's very different from here in the U.S, as are the words that are offensive between you and every one else.

#819 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I don't care if people use "dick" as a derogatory term because dudes are in a position of privilege in Western society and none of them actually feel demeaned by the term. Any that claim to are only doing so in order to construct disingenuous attacks on feminism. Be honest.

And we have finally gotten to it. You are either a complete hypocrite to your own cause or you are not fighting for equal rights at all. So you want to swing to pendulum to the other extreme so you can correct the wrongs of the world? Lots of really scary people in history had similar philosophies.

You are assuming that all men would not be offended. You are also assuming that all women feel oppressed and need your help which I can promise you many would laugh at.

#820 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I care about trying to reduce the amount of casual sexism (bigotry, homophobia, etc) that flies by unnoticed by dudes but slaps women (etc) across the face.

You should been there in the beginning when we were formed from ooze and one person said to the other, "hey you're different."

#821 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

In "Western society"? What does that mean exactly? Things are better for females in the Middle East, Africa, or Japan and we are just behind the times in the US? I'm really curious what your point is here as I don't get it.

I was called a shitbag earlier in this thread by a lady I've never met for no good reason. No one likes being called any name that is meant to be derogatory, ever. An insult is an insult, all of them suck. Best to just move past them though and not hold grudges wherever possible.

#822 4 years ago

Pezpunk's pseudo-intellectualism is belied by his propensity to attribute gross generalizations over a class of people that he obviously feels inferior to. I don't know how he can defend one group and generally criticize another group while completely ignoring the individuals' responsibilities in both dishing out or earning these criticisms. Like other SJW's he simply and wrongly feels entitled to be the arbiter of acceptable behavior. It's really a self-loathing case of justifying anti-social behaviors... exactly what he's railing against.

#823 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

The problem is that the list of "Things Which Must Not Be Said" is ridiculously large, unpredictable, and eternally growing.

Like what? Gimme some examples. You must be bursting with them.

#824 4 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Like what? Gimme some examples. You must be bursting with them.

The words "mother" and "father" are two examples that come to my mind. Basically any word that has been replaced by a soft euphemism over the last 30 years.

#825 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

The words "mother" and "father" are two examples that come to my mind. Basically any word that has been replaced by a soft euphemism over the last 30 years.

Any others, besides "mother and father" (which I've never heard of)?

#826 4 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Any others, besides "mother and father", which I've never heard of?

Were you raised in an orphanage? Mother is the female parent and father is the male parent.

Oh, wait, orphanage is one of the words we are talking about.

#827 4 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out why we wouldn't get the women? All they have to do is read this thread to see how cool we all are

#828 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Were you raised in an orphanage? Mother is the female parent and father is the male parent.
    Oh, wait, orphanage is one of the words we are talking about.

I mean, what have "mother" and "father" been replaced with? I think "orphanage" has fallen out of use partially due to cultural association and also because of the foster system. I don't think we really have orphanages like we used to (aka "Annie-esque"), either, it's more about group homes and shelters.

#829 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

You may think that British culture is the same as American culture but you are wrong. Do you think black brits are offended by the Confederate Flag? Do you think they know who General Lee is? What do you think racism even looks like in Britain? Here's a hint it's very different from here in the U.S, as are the words that are offensive between you and every one else.

if you're going to argue against the idea of such a thing as "Western culture" you are going to be arguing with a lot more people than just me. i'm not pulling these concepts and definitions out of my butt. they are well established terms.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/western_culture.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture
    https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/art-history-basics/beginners-art-history/a/a-brief-history-of-western-culture
    http://study.com/academy/lesson/modern-western-culture-social-life.html
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Western+culture

you are mistaken if you don't think i have spent an awful lot of time reading, studying, listening to others, and thinking about these things. i'm not just spouting things off the top my head.

on the subject of slang and the American Civil War, you seem to want to quibble about specific historical incidents or vocabulary that people from other countries might not be familiar with. so what? when a Southern person flies a confederate flag, it has a specific historical context and impact on people of color which that person has no legitimate excuse for not understanding. the same as if someone goes around equating female genitalia with a shameful lack of strength (which actually requires zero historical context anyway).

Quoted from TigerLaw:

In "Western society"? What does that mean exactly? Things are better for females in the Middle East, Africa, or Japan and we are just behind the times in the US? I'm really curious what your point is here as I don't get it.

i certainly don't mean to imply that things are any better for women in other societies. i really would be generalizing though if i were trying to talk about the entire world, though, so i'm talking about "Western culture" because that is the culture in which we here on Pinside live. it's a thing i did not make up.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I was called a shitbag earlier in this thread by a lady I've never met for no good reason. No one likes being called any name that is meant to be derogatory, ever. An insult is an insult, all of them suck. Best to just move past them though and not hold grudges wherever possible.

absolutely.

Quoted from jgentry:

And we have finally gotten to it.

have we? i'm so glad!

Quoted from jgentry:

You are either a complete hypocrite to your own cause or you are not fighting for equal rights at all. So you want to swing to pendulum to the other extreme so you can correct the wrongs of the world? Lots of really scary people in history had similar philosophies.

yeah i know, asking people not to be jerks to marginalized people was what Hitler was all about, right? haha.

admit it, it doesn't actually bother you when someone used the word "dick" to describe an unpleasant person. if you're not going to be honest, there's no point in having this conversation. i'm perfectly willing to talk but don't feed me disingenuous complaints. now, if you're being honest at least with yourself, maybe you're wondering why it upsets women to have their body parts equated with weakness, but it doesn't bother you to have male anatomy likened to something negative.

the answer, interestingly, is the same reason i stick around and argue while most women have abandoned this place: privilege. you and i enjoy the position of being in a purely academic argument. neither of us are really threatened first-hand by any of this. neither of us deal with this crap every day, neither of us are going to get PMs of death threats or our sex lives pored over or devices hacked and nudes posted or any of the sorts of things that happen to women who engage in these arguments online.

equality between the sexes begins by confronting the differences in the way culture treats them, not by pretending both are already on equal footing.

Quoted from jgentry:

You are assuming that all men would not be offended. You are also assuming that all women feel oppressed and need your help which I can promise you many would laugh at.

i'm not assuming "all women" anything. but i do know a lot of women have complained about the general culture here on Pinside and have been dismissed and run off. you guys really believe the reason this place is 95%+ white males is because people of color and women simply don't like pinball, for entirely nebulous reasons. and then when someone does show up and say it's gross, you call them a "hairy legged feminazi"* and keep on just thinking the reason it's such a sausage party has nothing to do with that behavior.

* that's a quote from earlier in this thread

#830 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

The problem is that the list of "Things Which Must Not Be Said" is ridiculously large, unpredictable, and eternally growing.

A good dose of common sense would help matters.

But in reality, it's gotten so much worse since people have been able to sit anonymously behind a computer screen and spew out whatever they want, and with little or no consequence. People wouldn't have the guts to say 90% of what they say if they had to attach their name to it.

#831 4 years ago

Being completely honest it depends on who call me a Dick and how it is said and who said it. In some cases I would find it very hurtful. In others I would call them an ass and we would laugh and play some pinball.

In some ways you are right that it is purely academic. But it other ways not so much. I have had cases were I could not hire the most qualified candidate because the company I was at was "short on minorities". In one situation an extremely hard worker that deserved a promotion was passed on because I was not allowed to hire the deserving candidate because the company had hired 3 straight males in other management positions that were not in my departments. So someone did not get a major raise and promotion because they were a white male. It can go both ways sometimes. There are women and people or many different races using this to there advantage. I don't really have a problem with that, they are just playing the hand they are dealt and doing it really well.

If you want to be honest there are lots of reason why pinball has more males then anything else. Men are crazy about hobbies. We all have tons of them. Men love to tinker and fix things. Men love mechanical things and taking things apart and putting them back together. Men love to collect things. And the list can go on and on. It's not all that different then classic cars. Sure there are women involved in both hobbies but both are men dominated. Hobbies like that are geared towards how our brains work. It would be like asking why is scrap booking so damn women dominated. Where are the men made quilts?

#832 4 years ago

Just because pezpunk comes across as having good intentions according to himself should not give him the right to derail every thread he feels the need to PC police. Every time it turns into the same god damn argument. Derail achieved once again.

#833 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

If you want to be honest there are lots of reason why pinball has more males then anything else. Men are crazy about hobbies. We all have tons of them. Men love to tinker and fix things. Men love mechanical things and taking things apart and putting them back together. Men love to collect things. And the list can go on and on. It's not all that different then classic cars. Sure there are women involved in both hobbies but both are men dominated. Hobbies like that are geared towards how our brains work. It would be like asking why is scrap booking so damn women dominated. Where are the men made quilts?

It's all social and has nothing to do with mental chemistry. Plenty of women love cars and mechanics, but right from the very start we're very specifically laying out for them the "this or that" of gender. Boys get tool sets, girls get dolls. Boys wear blue, girls wear pink. Why? It's an irrational and entirely made-up set of rules ("blue and pink" is a recent invention, too) that has nothing to do with anything besides the pre-decided cultural norms. Plenty of men quilt and plenty of women tinker, and if we weren't constantly telling children that one thing is bad and the other is good because they have a penis or a vagina then we'd have way more equality in jobs and hobbies.

The briefest summary of this is when my supervisor told our manager she was hiring a male housekeeper, and our manager, a guy, scoffed and said "that's interesting, but okay". Why is housekeeping necessarily a woman's job? What about changing a bed and vacuuming is "for women"? It's all made up.

#834 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

on the subject of slang and the American Civil War, you seem to want to quibble about specific historical incidents or vocabulary that people from other countries might not be familiar with. so what? when a Southern person flies a confederate flag, it has a specific historical context and impact on people of color which that person has no legitimate excuse for not understanding.

You wanted to start the quibbling by saying pussy was a sexist remark instead of what it was intended to be, an insulting remark.

Again you seem to want to look at things from your place of privilege instead of trying to see things from perspectives around the world. The confederate flag is another interesting example. Dukes of Hazzard is a show that is broadcast in many countries all over the world so many people are familiar with the car that has a confederate flag on the roof. I have heard quite a few foreigners who enjoyed the show and were fans of the car but had no understanding of what that flag means in the U.S. Are you going to judge them and shame them for owning a car or memorabilia with the flag on there in this country or their own?

I am in no way endorsing or judging the use of the confederate flag.

My point is your overlooking real problems by focusing on small incidental things. Instead of teaching, your preaching and in the process driving people further away instead allowing them to learn.

#835 4 years ago

Pez, dude. Where do up you find the time to type all those responses?

I love Pinside as much as anyone here, but I only have so much time. I think you are waaaay faster at typing than me. I've passed on responding to you because I just don't want to type it sometimes.

#836 4 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

It's all social and has nothing to do with mental chemistry. Plenty of women love cars and mechanics, but right from the very start we're very specifically laying out for them the "this or that" of gender. Boys get tool sets, girls get dolls. Boys wear blue, girls wear pink. Why? It's an irrational and entirely made-up set of rules ("blue and pink" is a recent invention, too) that has nothing to do with anything besides the pre-decided cultural norms. Plenty of men quilt and plenty of women tinker, and if we weren't constantly telling children that one thing is bad and the other is good because they have a penis or a vagina then we'd have way more equality in jobs and hobbies.
    The briefest summary of this is when my supervisor told our manager she was hiring a male housekeeper, and our manager, a guy, scoffed and said "that's interesting, but okay". Why is housekeeping necessarily a woman's job? What about changing a bed and vacuuming is "for women"? It's all made up.

What you are unknowingly championing is the decimation of traditional gender roles. The function of traditional gender roles is efficiency in child rearing. The destruction of the traditional family (and traditional religion for that matter) has not been a good thing for society. It has been promoted by totalitarians throughout history. The state will try to become one's family. You need not look far to see how the state has replaced the father in many families today.

No one says that anyone must stick to their traditional gender roles, but once those traditions are broken, the results are what we see today with divorce rates, fatherless families, poverty, crime, teen pregnancy, gangs, etc. Traditional gender roles generally create greater strength in family units as well as the individuals that are raised nuclear families. Many people are angered by this for a number of different reasons, but the main cause is the overtones and undertones in media... think Archie Bunker and Al Bundy compared to Alice for TV examples.

Just watch the commercials, Dad is dumb and servile, while Mom is large and in charge. Some say it is a reflection of society, but I think it is a driver of human behaviors. Your supervisor and her manager are both products of this induced confusion in traditional gender roles.

#837 4 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I'm completely open to any gender doing any job. I'm more concerned about if they are qualified and can do the job. I do think men and women are naturally better at different things and more inclined to like certain things though. Doesn't mean a man can't rock an awesome quilt and a women can't build build an awesome hot rod though. We are different and that's OK.

#838 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

You wanted to start the quibbling by saying pussy was a sexist remark instead of what it was intended to be, an insulting remark.

it's two things. it's intended to be insulting to me, calling me weak or whatever. that doesn't really bother me. but it's also kind of a drive-by swipe at women, because it implies that vaginas are a symbol of weakness. the dude who made that comment wanted to hurt me, and the worst thing he could think of was to compare me to a part of a woman.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Again you seem to want to look at things from your place of privilege instead of trying to see things from perspectives around the world. The confederate flag is another interesting example. Dukes of Hazzard is a show that is broadcast in many countries all over the world so many people are familiar with the car that has a confederate flag on the roof. I have heard quite a few foreigners who enjoyed the show and were fans of the car but had no understanding of what that flag means in the U.S. Are you going to judge them and shame them for owning a car or memorabilia with the flag on there in this country or their own?

to my knowledge i have not spent any time crusading against foreigners watching dubbed reruns of Dukes of Hazard.

#839 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

No one says that anyone must stick to their traditional gender roles, but once those traditions are broken, the results are what we see today with divorce rates, fatherless families, poverty, crime, teen pregnancy, gangs, etc.

So because wifey isn't forced into the kitchen, bare-foot and pregnant, society is falling apart?

Sounds like someone's a bit angry that he's not king of the castle anymore. Don't worry, though - women are still second-class citizens in many ways, if that makes you feel better.

#840 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

What you are unknowingly championing is the decimation of traditional gender roles. The function of traditional gender roles is efficiency in child rearing. The destruction of the traditional family (and traditional religion for that matter) has not been a good thing for society. It has been promoted by totalitarians throughout history. The state will try to become one's family. You need not look far to see how the state has replaced the father in many families today.

this is just patriarchical fearmongering. a child does not require an alpha male and a domestic mother to be a good and happy kid. talk about a dangerous philosophy!

Quoted from SadSack:

No one says that anyone must stick to their traditional gender roles, but once those traditions are broken, the results are what we see today with divorce rates, fatherless families, poverty, crime, teen pregnancy, gangs, etc. Traditional gender roles generally create greater strength in family units as well as the individuals that are raised nuclear families.

Your supervisor and her manager are both products of this induced confusion in traditional gender roles.

trying to force people into pre-conceived gender roles results in higher rates of suicide and trauma, is extraordinarily destructive, and is basically just a weak justification for sexism and homophobia. it comes from the same wellspring as the idea that "blacks were more happy back when they were slaves to the kind and benevolent white plantation owners".

teen pregnancy is caused by poor sex education and lack of access to birth control. crime and gangs are the inevitable result of poverty. none of these social problems are caused by feminism or gay rights!

#841 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

this is just patriarchical fearmongering. a child does not require an alpha male and a domestic mother to be a good and happy kid. talk about a dangerous philosophy!

trying to force people into pre-conceived gender roles results in higher rates of suicide and trauma, is extraordinarily destructive, and is basically just a weak justification for sexism and homophobia. it comes from the same wellspring as the idea that "blacks were more happy back when they were slaves to the kind and benevolent white plantation owners".
    teen pregnancy is caused by poor sex education and lack of access to birth control. crime and gangs are the inevitable result of poverty. none of these social problems are caused by feminism or gay rights! honestly, this is one of the most socially regressive and distasteful posts i've ever seen around here.

How can you be so all over the place? Must be a big hit at parties.

So, how do all those pinball guys snag girls anyways?

image (resized).jpeg

Baked potatoes. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-baked-potato-thread

#842 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

So because wifey isn't forced into the kitchen, bare-foot and pregnant, society is falling apart?
    Sounds like someone's a bit angry that he's not king of the castle anymore. Don't worry, though - women are still second-class citizens in many ways, if that makes you feel better.

You're way off base here. I'm simply explaining things. You have no idea of my role in real life. Your comment is the disparaging generalization.

#843 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

to my knowledge i have not spent any time crusading against foreigners watching dubbed reruns of Dukes of Hazard.

You can dismiss my question. Maybe you're starting to learn that words' meanings aren't absolute.

#844 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

teen pregnancy is caused by poor sex education and lack of access to birth control. crime and gangs are the inevitable result of poverty. none of these social problems are caused by feminism or gay rights!

Wow, you are really jumping the shark here. Please reread my comment and stop twisting it into an easily attacked straw man. I can't see anywhere I said anything about forcing anyone to do anything. If you think that children of a single parent household have the same success rate by any measure as those from a traditional family, you need to talk less and read more. Your arguments and understanding are the results of a lifetime anti-family brainwashing. How old are you?

#845 4 years ago

Can we still use "douche" in the pejorative? I need to know quick before I get 250 posts of passive aggressive snark posted in my direction

#846 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

A woman today called up my company to tell me that my crew looked like a bunch of retards taking orders from Jerry's kids and that we should stop the job because we were making too much noise. I told her no, then she threatened to call the cops. I told her go right ahead. (For clarity, I own a construction company)

For the record, I wasn't insulted.

#847 4 years ago

Time for everyone to get back on topic.

Move the "discussions" to PM.

And in case anyone needs it to be crystal clear, continued off topic discussions will result in thread ejections.

Marcus

#848 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Wow, you are really jumping the shark here. Please reread my comment and stop twisting it into an easily attacked straw man. I can't see anywhere I said anything about forcing anyone to do anything. If you think that children of a single parent household have the same success rate by any measure as those from a traditional family, you need to talk less and read more.

you blamed all of society's ills -- poverty, gangs, crime, teen pregnancy, etc -- on the breakdown of "traditional gender roles". don't dance around it. Feminism and gay rights are what you and i are both talking about here. i didn't twist anything. i merely summed up your post.

Quoted from SadSack:

Your arguments and understanding are the results of a lifetime anti-family brainwashing. How old are you?

man, all that anti-family brainwashing and somehow i still managed to be happily married to a woman for the last 16 years, and managed to father two kids! how did this happen? it's almost as if being accepting of all types of people ISN'T morally destructive and somehow DIDN'T turn me into a gay divorced gangmember.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

You can dismiss my question. Maybe you're starting to learn that words' meanings aren't absolute.

i'm not sure you've been reading my responses to you. i've said all along that individual words themselves are pretty irrelevant. whether you say "fanny" or "pussy" doesn't matter. the point is, it is messed up if you are using that word as a way to reference femininity as a symbol of weakness. i'm not sure how this weird tangent about the word "fanny" or Dukes of Hazard running in foreign countries has any relevance.

#849 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Time for everyone to get back on topic.
    Move the "discussions" to PM.
    And in case anyone needs it to be crystal clear, continued off topic discussions will result in thread ejections.
    Marcus

noted.

#850 4 years ago

Gang, we are going to assume pez did not see Xerico's post till after he posted his final response. Do not respond further. Everyone has had their say already.

Take this thread back on topic. Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 16.50
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 109.99
    $ 19.95
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 3.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    There are 893 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside