(Topic ID: 223676)

Why do people sell games shortly after buying them?

By Blindseer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do people sell their games shortly after receiving them?”

• Money issues 14 votes
      7%
    • Profit 26 votes
      13%
    • dislike for game 98 votes
      50%
    • bad idea to own a machine 7 votes
      4%
    • other 50 votes
      26%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

19bwonmnipr4fjpg (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 5 years ago

I bought a Game of Thrones recently. Within a week I decided I was going to sell it. I'd played the game tons of times at tournaments, etc and loved it, but once I had it at home and could play it as much as I liked I realized it was very repetitive. In tournaments I didn't notice that because I had to worry about surviving, but at home you can just play again if you fail.

But to your "why didn't they play it first?" comment: why would you? Worst case scenario you can sell it again and maybe lose a few hundred dollars. I know a lot of people who buy all their games without ever playing them, just based on looks. Some stay a long time, some leave instantly. Playing it elsewhere isn't comparable to playing it in your own home, why worry about it?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm with you on that. Buying a game I've never or hardly played is way more fun than buying one I've already beat into the ground.

Yeah, even better! As soon as I've decided I want to buy a game (since it looks like it could be good) I specifically avoid playing it until I can get one of my own

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

Why do you want to lose money? When I buy its only after playing it for a few hours in real life, Pinball Arcade if possible, and researching issues and availability of parts. I avoid new games because they haven't stood the test of time.
    a couple hundred dollars adds up to a color dmd

Honestly I feel like you should be prepared to lose a few hundred on any fully working game you buy. It could break and not be worth fixing, it could just go down in value, etc. Or maybe it goes up in value and you luck out. Who knows, hopefully it balances out at worst. Plus you got to own and play the game! Some value loss is normal, you got your 'plays' out of it. If it's a NIB, then you also got the great box opening, new game smell experience. There's probably a few hundred dollars in wiggle room on many transactions. Or a few hundred dollars in rebuild parts I'm going to put into a game.

Learning the game is part of the experience to me. If you've already spent a lot of time on the game before buying, that's lost time and coin drop on a (probably) sub par game/experience. Plus time out of my day I spend playing the game. It's just way too much to think+worry about

I've owned 60+ games and only maybe 10-15 I'd ever played before purchasing them. Most of those turned out not to be keepers. The games that seem the funnest the first few plays I gave them rarely had staying power. Sometimes I played a game elsewhere and didn't like it much at all, but then picked one up cheap on a whim and loved it.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

Im not looking to buy a game brand new and being ok with losing a few hundred dollars because I didnt do my diligence before I bought it.

Your 'due diligence' is a loss of value and time to many people. You can't go asking 'why do some people do <thing I wouldn't do>?' and then try to apply your reasoning to the explanations.

Some pins are fun for years, others are fun for weeks. If you only buy the 'years' pins you miss out on a lot of fun.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

What is always hilarious to me is when someone sells again with like a dozen plays on it. Who the heck can ever get a feel for a game that quickly? Seems like a lot of work to haul a game, set it up, etc just to play a couple times before giving up. So weird.

I learned all the rules to iron maiden from one Twitch stream, then got to all the modes, etc except the final wizard mode within like 10 games. Didn't see anything I liked, now I avoid playing it. If a game isn't for you it's pretty easy to tell.

Quoted from Blindseer:

I feel like there was huge regret from those who bought Guardians

Mistake on their part, code has gotten much better

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-sell-games-shortly-after-buying-them?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.