(Topic ID: 223676)

Why do people sell games shortly after buying them?

By Blindseer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do people sell their games shortly after receiving them?”

• Money issues 14 votes
      7%
    • Profit 26 votes
      13%
    • dislike for game 98 votes
      50%
    • bad idea to own a machine 7 votes
      4%
    • other 50 votes
      26%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

19bwonmnipr4fjpg (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blindseer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hello,

I have been into collecting for a few years but I have noticed a trend where people sell games immediately after getting them and I want to know why?

If the excuse was because they didn't like them after they got it then shouldn't people go play the game before purchasing? Could it be because they think they could flip it? Was it regret?

I'm curious to know what you guys think!

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

But to your "why didn't they play it first?" comment: why would you? Worst case scenario you can sell it again and maybe lose a few hundred dollars.

Why do you want to lose money? When I buy its only after playing it for a few hours in real life, Pinball Arcade if possible, and researching issues and availability of parts. I avoid new games because they haven't stood the test of time.

a couple hundred dollars adds up to a color dmd

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Honestly I feel like you should be prepared to lose a few hundred on any fully working game you buy.

I always take $500 off the asking price on top of negotiations. What I was referencing was buying a game and selling at a loss of a few hundred dollars and being ok with that which is different then account for cost of fixing issues.

Im not looking to buy a game brand new and being ok with losing a few hundred dollars because I didnt do my diligence before I bought it.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

On pinside? Well how long could it actually take to glue all the mods on. I mean... What the hell you gonna do with a game after that?!?

I used to sell cars so when someone came into the dealership with a car with chrome rims and custom stuff I would usually ask for them to remove it or suffer a loss because it devalues a car.

I look at most mods on pinball machines the same way. Modding is something you do because you like it but dont expect others to pay extra for it.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Nothing beats taking a deep breath from a brand new cabinet.. that smell is like a new car. Then when its fading.. sell it.

Sounds like we need to make that a new air freshener scent

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Your 'due diligence' is a loss of value and time to many people.
    Some pins are fun for years, others are fun for weeks. If you only buy the 'years' pins you miss out on a lot of fun.

Im not saying i wouldnt live in the moment but I dont need that instant gratification of new. When I start my own barcade Ill totally buy new because it keeps things fresh and will feed those who like that but for my own personal collection I'd rather wait.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

Can we add an option in the poll for "has a Twipy award winning YouTube show and needs more pins to review," for my boys at STDM?

I tried :/ over 2 hours I need a mod

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

What is always hilarious to me is when someone sells again with like a dozen plays on it. Who the heck can ever get a feel for a game that quickly? Seems like a lot of work to haul a game, set it up, etc just to play a couple times before giving up. So weird.

I felt that way when people went from Guardians of the Galaxy to Iron Maiden to Deadpool.

I feel like there was huge regret from those who bought Guardians

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

First world problem. Say you buy a game, and end up not liking it. Do you keep it as an albatross in your collection, or dump it?

This whole site is based on a first world problem

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Mistake on their part, code has gotten much better

One person's mistake is another persons deal

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

Yep this is me, Pins coming and going is just the way it is. It would really be hard to keep pins for years on end (not for me), You find yourself bored of the same theme/themes of pins rather fast.

I have owned my twilight zone for 4 years and I haven't gotten bored of it. For games with less variety the only solution to games that get old is to just have more games

Though this isnt all about getting bored and selling. I was more interested in those that get rid of games around day zero or shortly after owning them

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Same reason people lease cars, those most dependable miles are within the first few years.

With how less fixable a modern game is I sometimes wonder if that might be the case. All the remakes scare me because of how little is easily serviceable. Modern sterns with their modules that may not be compatible across the same game. I cant see myself keeping any out of the box game over a year or two with location abuse. That might change if the support is there like it is for the older games.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blindseer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-sell-games-shortly-after-buying-them?tu=blindseer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.